AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony unveils New Generation Portable (PSP 2)

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Jan 2011 2:36 User comments (47)

Sony unveils New Generation Portable (PSP 2) After years of rumor and speculation, Sony has finally unveiled the PSP2, for now dubbed the 'New Generation Portable (NGP).'
For controls, the handheld adds dual micro-analog sticks, giving gamers a feature they begged for on the original PSP.

The device has a massive 5-inch multi-touch OLED screen with 960×544 resolution, a multi-touch panel on the back and will run on a quad-core ARM cortex processor.

Sony has added tilt-sensitive SIXAXIS controls, standard and front-side cameras, GPS, an electric compass, Wi-Fi and 3G support.

The handheld will have a new UI dubbed "Live Area," which is used to launch games, the online app/game store, view trophies, view news and send IMs to friends with NGPs.

Using the new feature "Near," gamers, when connected to the Internet, will be shown a list of the most popular games in the area, and what other NGP gamers are playing at that time, explains Siliconera.

Gone is UMD, and new games will be sold on memory cards. Sony has promised Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Daze, Killzone, Reality Fighters, Smart As, Broken, LBP, Little Deviants, WipEout, Resistance, and Uncharted, so far.

The company is also introducing PlayStation Suite (PS Suite), meaning game content created for Android can also be played on the NGP.

There was no word on price but the company said to expect the handheld to be in stores by the holiday season.

(Pics via AV)

Previous Next  

47 user comments

127.1.2011 03:01

This is the way it should have been the first time!!! Two analog sticks, as soon as it is jailbroken I will get one. But real talk this thing is a beast! Quad core cpu and a quad core gpu is just crazy. Wonder how the battery is.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2011 @ 3:28

227.1.2011 04:02

Originally posted by biglo30:
This is the way it should have been the first time!!! Two analog sticks, as soon as it is jailbroken I will get one. But real talk this thing is a beast! Quad core cpu and a quad core gpu is just crazy. Wonder how the battery is.
to be honest i will buy on release but i know after a couple of months or 1 year they will release a slim version. 2nd i dnt care bout jailbreaking the psp2 if there are great games and apps. sony really got it right this time. finally :) i love it. but doubt it will be cheaper then the 3ds which i thought was ridiculous (the price.

327.1.2011 04:25

Still have my PSP (Star Wars edition). Definitely going to get this when it comes out. Looks like you can even borrow games from one another.

427.1.2011 04:56

Originally posted by Invasian:
Still have my PSP (Star Wars edition). Definitely going to get this when it comes out. Looks like you can even borrow games from one another.
by borrowing you mean sharing each others psn accounts. not a smart option with complete strangers, but very smart with close friends.

527.1.2011 07:22
coorva
Inactive

there saying that this is as powerful as the ps3,if it is,yea im going to get one,

627.1.2011 10:40

It looks astonishing IMO.
I'll buy it for sure, but i will wait for some Hardware revisions first, about a year more or less.

727.1.2011 11:00

There is very little to "hate on" with this handheld. It is what most long time gamers have been dreaming about, and then some (quad-core!). Biggest question still remains the price.

827.1.2011 11:03

Quote:
The company is also introducing PlayStation Suite (PS Suite), meaning game content created for Android can also be played on the NGP.
Yeah, for about a year. Then Sony will remove it because "it promotes piracy".

927.1.2011 11:11

I'm getting one ASAP. looking very good Sony.

1027.1.2011 11:16

I know what I want for Christmas :)

Gonna cost like $600 though :P

1127.1.2011 11:25

The specs and everything are nice. But the look ... it's so ugly.

1227.1.2011 11:28

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
There is very little to "hate on" with this handheld. It is what most long time gamers have been dreaming about, and then some (quad-core!). Biggest question still remains the price.
yeh i know no1 was expecting that , i understand know sony wants to win over the portable console market from nintendo and apple .

1327.1.2011 12:20
lissenup2
Inactive

Comes with 12V motorcycle battery.

1427.1.2011 12:28

So how is the compatibility with original PSP games going to work? Don't want to have to buy the same games all over again.

1527.1.2011 12:35

Price and battery. Not that it's a huge issue, though. I'll save up from now til then and buy one with an extra battery if I have to! It's an absolute must have!

1627.1.2011 12:55

All they said about the battery is it last the most time powered on than any other portable device ever made. They never claimed if that was standby mode, full on functions activated or what. They never said what type of battery it is either. Just no other device can compare.

1727.1.2011 13:17

Hm... Sony should of this out by now rather than the psp go...

this should support 4g but why not?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2011 @ 1:20

1827.1.2011 13:51

Dose it haz 2 mem slots so I can keep all saves on one? 4 hour bat life is a bit mehy since it uses flash and Oled.

TV out is a huge plus for me, all in all not bad, but the 400$ price point is going to suck :P

I bet 3/4G support will be dropped in the slim version to cut cost, just you wait!

At least its not a total let down like the 3DS.....

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2011 @ 1:52

1927.1.2011 15:19

if its as powerful as the ps3 then it must surely get warm , i would like to know how they will stop that happening

2027.1.2011 15:24

I wonder how long the battery life going to last... I wonder if it's going to be powerful just like the 3ds... if so then it needs the charge kit that should come with the handheld for psp2

2127.1.2011 15:34

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
I wonder how long the battery life going to last... I wonder if it's going to be powerful just like the 3ds... if so then it needs the charge kit that should come with the handheld for psp2
4 hours.

2227.1.2011 18:36

I'm sure getting the first they sell, since for sure will be the first to jailbrake, not like what happened with psp3000

2328.1.2011 10:58

I already start saving money for this, day one for me. I don't know why people have to wait till "jailbreak" and get one :eyeroll: It's nice, but I'm going to use my PSN account (I got a lot of games already and the PSP2 can play them :)).

2428.1.2011 12:45

I thought that the new PSP was supposed to have cell phone capabilities. This one mentions nothing about it. Unless I missed it :S That was one of the biggest reasons I wanted one. I'm not a huge gamer, but I want a new phone. I've put off getting one, because I wanted the PSP phone.
Perhaps they're different devices then. PSP 2/PSP phone...

2528.1.2011 13:04

Hey Omegaman7, I think you're referring to the Xperia
http://androidcommunity.com/xperia-play-vs-sony-ngp-psp-2-ultimate-smackdown-20110127/

Two completely different portable gadgets :)

2628.1.2011 13:09

LOL! Thanks. I discovered another thread promoting the Xperia. I'll probably be buying that bad boy! :D

2729.1.2011 03:02

Originally posted by ZeusAV:
So how is the compatibility with original PSP games going to work? Don't want to have to buy the same games all over again.
Why would that even be an issue???
It's like buying a ps3 and playing crappy ps1 games on it, in my experience once u experience better u can't go backwards, I kept my original xbox but playing it now after ps3 graphics offends my eyes!!!

2829.1.2011 03:11

So.... touch screen, tilt-sensitive controls, front and back cameras, GPS, an electric compass, Wi-Fi and 3G support.......... Erm, hello inferior iPhone 4!
Lmao

2929.1.2011 05:56

It really looks nice. Too bad it is made by Sony...hopefully microsoft will take the hint and make an Xphone...I am not giving sony another dime.

3029.1.2011 09:50

Originally posted by KillerBug:
It really looks nice. Too bad it is made by Sony...hopefully microsoft will take the hint and make an Xphone...I am not giving sony another dime.
Well, MS did a great job with the Xbox, especially the Xbox 360. So yeah, I guess you can keep waiting :) But man, I want that PSP2 now!

3129.1.2011 09:53

Originally posted by xboxd00d:
It's like buying a ps3 and playing crappy ps1 games on it, in my experience once u experience better u can't go backwards, I kept my original xbox but playing it now after ps3 graphics offends my eyes!!!
Honestly, I never get those folks either... Why can't I play PS2 games on the PS3? WHY? Well, simple answer? Get the damn PS2. Now, with the PSP... Same thing, if you want to play your UMDs, use the PSPs! I don't want to see the damn UMD on the PSP2, not that I have anything against the UMDs, but the damn thing will make the PSP2 bulky as hell.

3229.1.2011 13:24

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
Honestly, I never get those folks either... Why can't I play PS2 games on the PS3? WHY? Well, simple answer? Get the damn PS2. Now, with the PSP... Same thing, if you want to play your UMDs, use the PSPs! I don't want to see the damn UMD on the PSP2, not that I have anything against the UMDs, but the damn thing will make the PSP2 bulky as hell.
Lmao, someone on my wave length, love it!!!!!

3329.1.2011 22:35

Why....because the PS2 lacks any HDMI or proper component setup without an adapter...which Sony phased out shortly after the PS2 launch. leaving us with the crappy coax or crappy coax with separate audio channels take your pick.

on another note i am extremely pleased there moving away from disk based system to a memory card format which means, lower latency, more battery life and future proofing. my guess is they start making games on 2~4GB cards and move up if more space is necessary.

3430.1.2011 00:21

As a ex lover of the PSP and gone through 3 of them i say WOOOOO when is the release date. I am a hardcore 360 fanboy but the PSP well it is just gold and i jizzed when i saw it was a quad core not 333mhz :P

Looking forward to the release lets hope my faith is sony is kept after this

3530.1.2011 11:39

Originally posted by DXR88:
Why....because the PS2 lacks any HDMI or proper component setup without an adapter...which Sony phased out shortly after the PS2 launch. leaving us with the crappy coax or crappy coax with separate audio channels take your pick.

on another note i am extremely pleased there moving away from disk based system to a memory card format which means, lower latency, more battery life and future proofing. my guess is they start making games on 2~4GB cards and move up if more space is necessary.
Oh Jupiter's cock, do you honestly think playing PS2 games via the original launch PS3 look better because the signals are through HDMI? Let's put it this way, if you ever played the PS2 HD collections, you'll know the difference. Without retooling, PS2 games look like crap. Yes, the PS2 is sort of connected to the TV via HDMI using the PS3's BC. BUT the same question remains, WHY?! Because you can, doesn't mean you want to.

Yes, I do agree with you on the PSP2's memory comment. The games can be stored on variable sized memory cards, which can be sold in the stores as physical media. Thus keeping retails and those of like to own physical things happy (you can sell it or buy it used etc).

3630.1.2011 11:48

Oh Jupiter's cock, do you honestly think playing PS2 games via the original launch PS3 look better because the signals are through HDMI? Let's put it this way, if you ever played the PS2 HD collections, you'll know the difference. Without retooling, PS2 games look like crap. Yes, the PS2 is sort of connected to the TV via HDMI using the PS3's BC. BUT the same question remains, WHY?! Because you can, doesn't mean you want to.

Yes, I do agree with you on the PSP2's memory comment. The games can be stored on variable sized memory cards, which can be sold in the stores as physical media. Thus keeping retails and those of like to own physical things happy (you can sell it or buy it used etc).
Even if it dose not look better its nice to have the HDMI output so you can use the HDMI connections stupid nintendo for not support it.

Also BC+ graphics scaling/processing= better looking PS2/PSX games, so ya it is better.

3730.1.2011 16:48

Sorry DXR88 but you are a little off on that one as I have an original Sony branded Component cable on my launch model PS2 and know that you can go to Amazon to buy original or even Gamestop and get a universal set and not need some "adapter".
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jan 2011 @ 4:49

3830.1.2011 17:31

Missed that one good call Oner!

Now the Game cube needs a separate cable!

3930.1.2011 17:47

Originally posted by Oner:
Sorry DXR88 but you are a little off on that one as I have an original Sony branded Component cable on my launch model PS2 and know that you can go to Amazon to buy original or even Gamestop and get a universal set and not need some "adapter".
yes they do exist but they never worked properly...RGB was always selected trying to change it from RGB to component would work in the PS2 menu and on DVD's, but launch a game and it reverted right back to RGB giving your screen the nice Rolling effect.

the only thing that did work was the official Sony Component Adapter. so if you got one before they where phased out you got lucky if you didn't your stuck with RGB.

if you had a better experience good for you...ive found it frustrating you couldn't game on component. the only thing component did for me was eliminate green screen while watching DVDs.

4030.1.2011 18:01

as i have done it, i would have to say the deference in picture quality is night and day...Even the PS1 titles look better and more defined speaking of whining about BC for PS2. i find it funny i can still play my games from 17 years ago with no problem at all if anything should have been phased out of BC it should have been PS1

4131.1.2011 15:58

yes they do exist but they never worked properly...RGB was always selected trying to change it from RGB to component would work in the PS2 menu and on DVD's, but launch a game and it reverted right back to RGB giving your screen the nice Rolling effect.

the only thing that did work was the official Sony Component Adapter. so if you got one before they where phased out you got lucky if you didn't your stuck with RGB.

if you had a better experience good for you...ive found it frustrating you couldn't game on component. the only thing component did for me was eliminate green screen while watching DVDs.
I have never heard or had any such "rolling screen" problems on my PS2 with Component cables which were used on at least 4 or 5 different TV's ranging from SD to HD over the years (10 years and still going on my launch phatty!), additionally nor anyone else I know that have used them. It must be a specific thing with either your PS2, the brand of cable, or your TV, and not indicative of the majority of Component users especially since Sony has sold many, many thousands of these cables.

You are actually the only person I have ever come across on any forum to have issue with them. If there was a mass problem this would be more well known and would have led to some sort of lawsuit for them selling faulty cables etc. Is your PS2 NTSC or PAL? What about your cables? Are they region specific (if that even matters)? Is your TV SD or HD? Is it an older 1080i only model? Is your TV HD compliant/compatible over Component (720/1080) and not just DVD 480p compliant? Did this happen on all your games or one/some? Was there a specific setting that needed to be enabled like in GT4 for 1080i?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Jan 2011 @ 4:01

4231.1.2011 18:07

as i have done it, i would have to say the deference in picture quality is night and day...Even the PS1 titles look better and more defined speaking of whining about BC for PS2. i find it funny i can still play my games from 17 years ago with no problem at all if anything should have been phased out of BC it should have been PS1

Night and day, yeah right... If you call that night and day, I wonder how you describe the HD collections like God of War and Sly Cooper.

4331.1.2011 19:45

Originally posted by Oner:

I didn't know that! I used to game with my PS2 using RGB over Scart. Changed to component when I got the HD PLas......ma :), lucky I had an official componant adapter. Still, I suspect you may have just been unlucky as Oner suggests.

I don't see a problem porting old PS2 games to this new gadget. It's a huge library of retro greatness. As long as they were cheap, of course. It would be an excellent thing. People forget it's not about graphics, it's about gameplay. The PSP suffered badly from a piss poor catalogue.

441.2.2011 13:47

Night and day, yeah right... If you call that night and day, I wonder how you describe the HD collections like God of War and Sly Cooper.
Epicness of epic proportions would suffice...though i'm not a fan of any "remake" HD or not. i believe if you have enough man power to retool and retexture a game, you have enough time not to cash in on your former glory.

451.2.2011 17:25

Originally posted by Jemborg:
I don't see a problem porting old PS2 games to this new gadget. It's a huge library of retro greatness. As long as they were cheap, of course. It would be an excellent thing. People forget it's not about graphics, it's about gameplay. The PSP suffered badly from a piss poor catalogue.

Epicness of epic proportions would suffice...though i'm not a fan of any "remake" HD or not. i believe if you have enough man power to retool and retexture a game, you have enough time not to cash in on your former glory.
I'm somewhere in the middle of both of you. I totally understand, agree and even side with you DXR in that if they have enough time & man power to do an HD Remake then it would best be utilized for new, bigger & better projects...but then there is the part of me that may have missed out a great game or two and wouldn't mind the ability to enjoy something that is even better this time around.

Kind of how I missed out on the original GoW series because I always looked at those games as "button mashers". But after getting the Collection from a friend on trade I totally learned that there is more to these kind of games (especially when it comes to the enthralling story lines and such). And that is where I have to agree with you Jemborg about the cost being right for my pocket though.

Maybe a happy medium where they only put a few devs on it so as to not waste time/resources like DXR88 says which keeps the cost of the end product down like how Jemborg believes...holy shit I just realized I agreed with both of you hard headed bastards! ;)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Feb 2011 @ 5:29

464.2.2011 23:12

hell yeah this thing is going to be a beast its going to be fun jailbreaking this is. Next generation they should release a Tablet sized portable gaming devvice. You know Geohot gonna be all over this. I agree i was dissapointed with the regular psp graphics and no dual sticks. Finnaly a great portable gaming device the first person to load windows 7 on this baby is my hero I would pay for a pc/gaming device dual booted together. (would beat any samsung or hp tablet. the quad core cpu is great. Only thig this is missing is a mini hdmi output port.

4714.3.2011 03:35
caddilac bob
Unverified new user

try googling it most of the stuff i found says it will have 4-5 hours of battery life

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive