1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Got A Yamada DVR8000?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by BennBlack, Jun 9, 2004.

1. BennBlack

BennBlack Member

I'm looking to buy one and need some feedback. In 2 hour mode is the picture quality exactly as you see on TV? Can you keep recording until the DVD is full like a multi-session disc? How many scart interfaces are there? Just one?

Thanks.

2. leole

leole Member

Hello

I just saw your post regarding the dvr8000 .
    I have buy one and i like to warn you about this shit .
    Believe me if not too late not buy this dvr8000 .
    First of all after 15 days of non stable working it finaly totaly crashed .
    There is a lot of other problems it make a lot of sound noises when it run with a dvd inside .
    The system frequently crash without raison and you need to totaly take the power off before be able to restart it .
    There is no preprogrammed code for special remote control etc etc etc .
    The dvr8000 was send back for repair to yamada after 2 weeks i got it back .
    And its still not working correctly a lot of bugs in the firmware like green line coming on display without reason .
    The remote control was not send back with the hardware so i need to wait most probably one more week before be able to use it and for how long time before the next crash .

So for people who believe to buy the DVR8000 from YAMADA i like to confirm that is realy not a good choice .

Take a philips one for the same price i am sure you will get very less trouble .

Van Loven Olivier
    Brussels Belgium

3. BennBlack

BennBlack Member

Thanks for the advice. I got a Yamada player but after a week of problems returned it and got a Philips DVDR70 instead. Yamada make greats DVD players but avoid their DVD Recorder like the plague.

4. BigMick

BigMick Member

I had the Yamada, a complete piece of crap. I now have the Philips DVDR70 and have an audio problem.

There is an audio crackle (or click to be more precise) when I play back some recorded items.

Have you noticed this problem with your machine? I have returned one machine to the shop, but the replacement is doing the same. Don't know if it's the machine or dvd+rw disks, but my Sky system has no audio probs when I am watching it!

Cheers

Mick

5. BennBlack

BennBlack Member

I briefly had the 'audio crackle' problem but it seems to have disappeared. I have connected Sky to my DVD recorder with a set of phono leads and phono to scart adapter (£2.50 from Argos). Try that.

6. BigMick

BigMick Member

I have the DVD recorder connected to a home cinema via a digital coaxial and a scart from the DVD recorder to sky, maybe it's the coaxial to the home cinema that's the problem, but I would have thought it was a better quality connection than ordinary phono leads?

7. BennBlack

BennBlack Member

Not sure but try it and see what happens.

8. BigMick

BigMick Member

I bought a really good oxygen free gold scart lead and connected the dvd recorder to the sky box, and tried a different make of dvdrw, but the problem won't go away.

If I play a normal dvd on the recorder, it plays fine, there is no audio crackle, but anything recorded from Sky has a crackle, despite there not being one present when watching the programme!

I have tried playing back the sound with the home cinema disconnected, so it's just through the tv, but it still does it!

This is so frustrating, as it's the second DVDR70 I have had, and both have had the same problem. It must be the recorder, as I have eliminated everything else. If that is the case, it can go back.

The Panasonic DMRE55 might be the way forward if that is the case!!

9. BennBlack

BennBlack Member

Connect Sky to your DVD recorder with phone leads through the camcorder connection (at the front of the recorder) and also make sure video output from Sky (picture settings menu) is set to PAL. I had this problem all the time when I recorded from Sky to VHS.

10. BigMick

BigMick Member

ok cheers, will try it and see what happens. Got a feeling it's something to do with Sky, although fault is not present when watching Sky!

11. BigMick

BigMick Member

Tried everything to get the Philips DVDR70 to record without the crackle. So I returned it to Richer Sounds (for a second time for the same fault!), and they happily exchanged it for the Panasonic DMRE55, which although was £35 more expensive, the very kind manager did it at the same price as the Philips.

The result is a machine that records as it should, no crackle, just perfect picture and sound, also has time slip, so well happy!

My advice to anyone is avoid Philips like the plague! I guess some of you have been lucky in getting a machine that is trouble free, but in my experience, and that of others, whose reviews I've read, the Philips DVDR70 is a complete piece of crap!!

12. BennBlack

BennBlack Member

I haven't had many problems so far.

13. ann22

ann22 Member

There is a design flaw on the DVDR70. If the signal it receives is outside the norm, it produces that crackle.

The only way to fix it, is to either use another tuner and route the signal through a tuner that 'fixes' it, or get the signal fixed.

Looks like the problem is more prevalent in England. I've seen it here too, but only on one channel. And the signal can change with time, so the problem is intermittent.

14. BennBlack

BennBlack Member

What do you mean by signal outside the norm?

15. ann22

ann22 Member

That's the thing. I don't know exactly what's happening. I just know that's something's wrong. Might be the strength of the signal. Might be the level of the sound. I honestly don't know what the problem consists of. I can only tell you what I've observed. And since I've used three different tuners (at least), I can tell you how those three have behaved with certain channels, at certain times.