AfterDawn: Tech news

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 gets 'always-connected' DRM

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 03 Feb 2011 10:46 User comments (11)

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 gets 'always-connected' DRM 1UP has confirmed today that 'Bionic Commando Rearmed 2,' purchasable through the PlayStation Store, will come with the dreaded 'always-connected' DRM last seen on Ubisoft titles.
'Always-connected' DRM means the game is unplayable unless the gamer stays connected to the Internet at all times.

In this case, gamers must always be logged into the PlayStation Network so PS3 offline playback is not an option.

Earlier in the year, developer Capcom raised some eyebrows when it released Final Fight: Double Impact with a special DRM that blocked the game from being shared with any other PSN user.

Family members who shared a PS3 but had different PSN accounts were effectively locked out.

Previous Next  

11 user comments

13.2.2011 22:56

I wonder how long it takes for Sony to give up lol

23.2.2011 23:24

No thanks...I may have a very good internet connection, but I can't trust Sony not to block my account, I can't trust their servers to keep running, and I can't even trust the government not to kill the internet as a means of blocking free speech.

34.2.2011 00:03

Originally posted by KillerBug:
No thanks...I may have a very good internet connection, but I can't trust Sony not to block my account, I can't trust their servers to keep running, and I can't even trust the government not to kill the internet as a means of blocking free speech.
Simple get a 360, It may be Microsoft but no way it is as bad as what Sony Does, i bet they are logging everyone after recent events

44.2.2011 00:08

No sale for me. Screw that.

54.2.2011 01:34

Originally posted by Zealousi:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
Simple get a 360, It may be Microsoft but no way it is as bad as what Sony Does, i bet they are logging everyone after recent events
I wouldn't trust microsoft much more, at least not on the console side. Remember, Microsoft is the original console bad-guy; they are the ones that block just about every third party device, charge a fortune for small hard disk upgrades, and block large hard disk upgrades...they were even the first to have PSN+, only they called it Xbox gold, and it was REQUIRED to play online. Not only that, but the 360 makes the PS3 seem reliable by comparison...and the PS3 is not reliable. I'm going back to PC soon...Windows comes jailbroken right from the start.

64.2.2011 11:45

so let me get this straight, if the server to the game is down you can't play off line? So what if this ever server shut down... waste of money ... also not able to share with other psn accounts on the same console so soooo stupid...

74.2.2011 11:53

Eh you'll be able to play the Pirated version any way ya want. They are only hurting the folks that are actualy paying for it and making it less attractive and more difficult to go legit...

84.2.2011 12:51

The game got low reviews anyway, so if nothing else this will make the game an even harder sell point.

94.2.2011 23:21

Originally posted by dEwMe:
Eh you'll be able to play the Pirated version any way ya want. They are only hurting the folks that are actualy paying for it and making it less attractive and more difficult to go legit...

Yep, that's why the pirate will be full force on this game. Why pay for a game that you can't play if your connection is down. If I recall, their used to be games that you could play right out of the box, no DRM. Makes me want to build a time machine to enjoy past's pleasures sooooo bad.

105.2.2011 05:26

You can still get those old games; there were never any DRM servers, so the DRM servers never got shut down; so you can still play them. Other than finding working copies, it is super-easy.

1111.2.2011 18:58

I go even further back... I used to LOVE the hours I spent playing games on the Commodore 64... C-64 emulators work GREAT, now I'm playing Spelunker, Exolon, and the Impossible Mission series again... MAME is great for the arcade games (man, if I had all those quarters that I used to spend on games back then, I could retire very comfortably)... Hell, even Nintendo, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games can be played on modern systems!

As far as protection schemes goes, the Commodore 64 had 'em all. One rather annoying one was finding a word in the instruction booklet. "Type the third word in the fifth paragraph on page 64." Of course, a nice text file took care of that. Then there was the graphic symbols you COULDN'T "type out" in a text file, like with Maniac Mansion and Zak McCracken... The cracking groups (Fairlight, etc.) took good care of that tho... Then we had the "dongle" thing, where you actually had to insert what looked like a flash drive into the joystick port (this is probably where modern day flash drives came from), that was kinda hard to defeat, but once again the cracking groups to the rescue... Internet wasn't as active back then, but you see all the old protection schemes are now a very distant thing of the past...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive