1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu ray compression

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by cdan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. cdan

cdan Regular member

I've been using shrink for years with dvd's but i'm not sure what has to be done with a blu ray movie. Does anyone use shrink with blu ray? I'm using any dvd and clone dvd to rip, nero 10 to burn, do the blu ray files have to be compressed if i'm burning to blu ray blank media...and if so, with what program?
    thanks
    cdan

2. Aldiii

Aldiii Member

3. cdan

cdan Regular member

Are most blu ray dvds 25g or less?

4. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

NO. When you add special features and stuff these disks are huge. DVD shrink will not do blu ray. If you want shrink for bluray, purchase a copy of DVDfab blu ray copy. You can compress, split,remove audio and sub titles just like you did in shrink. Comes with a 30 day free trial. I dont compress, I do movie only and if it doesnt fit I split to 2 BD-R 25gb. Also join the dvdfab forum and read. Alot of info about the ins and outs of the program. Heck,avatar movie only was around 38 gb. Alot of movies though will fit with no compression and no splitting. toy story 3 etc. 50 gb are too costly right now so I split. When the price comes down then I wont have to split.

5. cdan

cdan Regular member

Guess i'll wait a while to start burning BR...big pita to have to burn to 2 discs. Does compression have any ill effect on the quality? How long does it take to rip and burn a BR movie?

6. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

I use verbatum Lth 25gb disks $27.99 for 20 disks at amazon.I don't compress so can't answer your last question. From what I read bdrebuilder is the way to go.Fab can take 2-5 hrs to compress. I don't know about quality but guys over there are compressing down BD to regular dvds!YUK

7. cdan

cdan Regular member

I only do main movie. If you've been doing this for a while and not compressing, then most movies must be 25g or less? It looks like BD rebuilder requires 3 other programs to be downloaded in order to work. Have you used it yet?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  8. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=10873

Here is a link to a post that someone started to show movies that will fit on one disk with one HD audio. I don't use bdrebuilder as I don't compress. As my post stated I split to 2 disks. Some of my movies that I had to split because of size are, Unstoppable,Independence Day,Transformers 1&2,Untouchables,Gladiator,Avatar,Lord of the rings 1,2&3,Patton,King Kong,Iron Man 1&2. If you use fab it always picks the wrong audio. Just choose the top english HD one and your good to go. A 25gb disk is actually 23.8gb. Fab is set for 23gb to give it room for finalization and to keep it away from edge of the disk as alot of problems occur here. You can also check the box on fab to remove HD audio as this is huge and it will down mix it to Dolby Digital to save room for those movies that are close to the limit.

9. cdan

cdan Regular member

For what a 50g BD disc costs, you may as well just buy the movie. I think it's going to be quite a while before 50g discs come down to a reasonable price. Will fab compress 40g to 23g and still have quality video?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  10. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

I don't compress but from reading posts guys are happy with it. The cheapest 50gb disk I can find is around $6.00 per. You can get Optimum disks 25gb around a buck online. Guys on the forum swear by these. You do know that you have to OWN the movie to back it up don't you? Any other way is a no no. Sorry, I can't see compressing blu ray. Fab will also compress it to regular dvd. Fab 40->23 yes. Very time consuming.

11. 8686

8686 Member

Ok, I'm on the bandwagon now. I have been using dvdshrink & dvdfab for years now and just saw a $90 BR burner on newegg. And now BD-R 25g is about a buck a piece.

I don't want to compress either. It's nice to have the entire movie but I will settle for just the main movie and the HD sound until the DL media is reasonable. Nice to see there are a lot of movies that will fit on a 25g disc.

I run a minimalist setup and don't want to use a million programs. Has anyone tried the free version of dvdfabhd? I have also used Anydvd from time to time, but that won't rip the movie will it? I thought it will only decrypt.

I'm getting used to imgburn too. Seems like a straight forward process now.

12. cdan

cdan Regular member

Any dvd and clone dvd won't shrink but will rip fine, but you need the HD version to do BD. I'd like to hear from someone who has used fab to shrink a 40gb BD to 23gb. I want to know if the Blu ray quality is still there after compressing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  13. 8686

8686 Member

Has anyone tried the free version of dvdfabhd? I have also used Anydvd from time to time, but that won't rip the movie will it? I thought it will only decrypt.

14. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Anydvdhd will rip.I create a folder on my desktop and right click the fox on the task bar and select rip to hard drive (selecting my new folder as the destination).Free version of fab blu ray copy is a full working program for 30 days. $60.00 plus 20% off with coupon code. You don't really need anything else unless you are doing 3D. Fab has own decrypter and VSO burning engine. Like I said earlier DVDFAB blu ray copy IS dvdshrink for blu ray. I went from free version to pay version. Everything you did in shrink you can do in fab. Fab picks the correct title for you but always gets the wrong audio (director's comments etc.) Uncheck the ac3's that it picks and select the top english audio, DTS,TrueHD,dolby etc. Always select BD50 in the small dropdown and use title start/end to split where you want it. I can't see doing this with the anydvdhd/imgburn combination. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've actually used anydvdhd to rip and then set my folder as source in fab's temp folder and did it this way for a couple of movies that fab had trouble with,(slow or stopped scan or error on disk etc.)Worked everytime. Nice to have a back up.

cdan

Go into fab forum. Lot of guys compressing there.

15. cdan

cdan Regular member

So..with Fab you don't have to split the movie..it'll just shrink it to fit on a 25gb disc and the quality will remain the same?

16. 8686

8686 Member

Thanks Bigwop. What's the deal with 3D? (I'm new at this). I have been using fab w/ dvd for a while and am pretty comfortable with it. I'll check out the paid version.

I remember when the DVD+R DL discs were too expensive. These were the DVDXCOPY days. I split all my dvds on to multiple discs and went out and bought a 5 disc carousel player so I wouldn't have to get up during the movie. Then Shrink came out and I started compressing.

CDAN, I'm no expert on Blu-Ray, but when you compress you always lose quality. It's going to work the same with dvd shrink if you've ever compressed a movie to fit onto 1 dvd+R. The more you compress the worse it will look. Some people don't care about this or can even notice the difference and some are purists. One thing I can tell you, when I pop in a dvd that I compressed using shrink on my LCD, I can definitely notice it. (I didn't notice it on my tube tv back in the day).

17. cdan

cdan Regular member

I guess the burning question is: will a compressed BD look better than a compressed dvd+r? I've done a LOT of dvd+r's and am quite happy with the results, but i'm willing spend a little more $ and time to get better quality.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  18. 8686

8686 Member

Yea
    Yeah, I guess that is the question. I have done a lot of converting with hi def video files for upload to websites, and I think it's all the same. I would say if the movie is 30 gigs and you compress it to the 25, your probably not going to notice much of a difference, anything bigger I would probably split onto 2 discs, the BD-R's are only $1 a piece now. The thought of compressing anything makes me cringe. I want all of the quality there is. This is what the BR revolution is all about. To me it's pointless to compress a BR to where it looks comparable to a dvd. Just imo.

I don't think I'll do much splitting or compressing until the DL discs start dropping in price. I'm just hoping that I encounter a lot of movies that will fit onto a 25 g disc.

19. cdan

cdan Regular member

I won't do any splitting...waaay too much hassle. It would nice to see a list of 100 or so BD movies with the size of the main movie listed before spending $300 on a burner and player.

20. 8686

8686 Member

Post #8 has the link. There are a lot of movies on there.

Question, Will my PS3 read a BR with dvd file structures (VOB)? For instance, Doctor Zhivago is like, 10 gigs in size and will only fit on 2 dvds. Can I put this on a BD disc and will the PS3 read it like a dvd disc?