AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

AT&T adds bandwidth caps to DSL lines

news article released on:

AT&T has confirmed today that it will be adding bandwidth caps to its DSL and U-Verse services. DSL users will have a 150GB cap while U-Verse subscribers will have a 250GB cap. Anyone who exceeds the limit three times will be charged $10 for every extra 50GB of data consumed. The new policy goes into effect May 2nd for new and existing customers. AT&T says it will send notifications ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 26 messages.

#1
O boy here we go another network provider thinking that they need to have bandwidth limits
▼▼ This topic has 25 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
So I guess that means I have until July before I have to switch ISPs. The only thing that really annoys me about this is I just signed up with a Uverse Internet only package in December which included a $150 installation fee.
#3
Originally posted by Memnock:
So I guess that means I have until July before I have to switch ISPs. The only thing that really annoys me about this is I just signed up with a Uverse Internet only package in December which included a $150 installation fee.
Supposed to be free even if it was internet only because new customers get free installations and my sister has att uverse
#4
Originally posted by xaznboitx:
Originally posted by Memnock:
So I guess that means I have until July before I have to switch ISPs. The only thing that really annoys me about this is I just signed up with a Uverse Internet only package in December which included a $150 installation fee.
Supposed to be free even if it was internet only because new customers get free installations and my sister has att uverse

If you get the 18mb service it's not free. Only 12mb or lower is free when it you get internet only.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Mar 2011 @ 13:43
#5
Well, just got off the phone with AT&T Sales, Customer Service and Internet Technical Support. It appears that only Texas, Wisconsin, Kansas and Indiana are under the new cap. This appears to be either standard info, or actual fact as each department stated the same thing, even though the Tech side didn't really seem to know much, which is almost always the case anyway.
#6
At least that isn't as bad as what Bell Canada wanted to do. 25 GB cap and then $2/GB after that.
#7
Originally posted by snardos:
At least that isn't as bad as what Bell Canada wanted to do. 25 GB cap and then $2/GB after that.
thats just consumer robbery
#8
Quote:
snardos

At least that isn't as bad as what Bell Canada wanted to do. 25 GB cap and then $2/GB after that.

that is just theft of the consumer plus the unexpected price increase if you go over your limit
#9
Quote:
The caps will affect under 2 percent of users, says the ISP, subscribers who use "a disproportionate" amount of data and slow down networks for others.
How can 2% of users greatly affect the other 98% that much to justify that statement?

This whole bandwidth cap crap on internet connections from ISPs and Cell providers is just an excuse IMO to charge more money. How can less fortunate countries with less money provide better internet than the US for cheaper and be more reliable? If your internet pipes cannot handle the load then clean out your pipes and quit advertising on how fast your network is.

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.67Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon 5770HD, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2TB Additional HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices
#10
AT&T has given me another reason to cut them off completely. As soon as my mobile contract is up I am cutting the cord along with DSL.

#11
I just hope Verizon DSL won't start capping.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2011 @ 6:58
#12
Pooh! I'm in Wisconsin, so I guess it's time to check & see what other deals are out there - like thru MilwaukeePC which is right down the street. (While I think even at my heaviest use I didn't use that much bandwidth, it's the principle of the thing...)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2011 @ 14:04
#13
Originally posted by bobiroc:
Quote:
The caps will affect under 2 percent of users, says the ISP, subscribers who use "a disproportionate" amount of data and slow down networks for others.
How can 2% of users greatly affect the other 98% that much to justify that statement?

This whole bandwidth cap crap on internet connections from ISPs and Cell providers is just an excuse IMO to charge more money. How can less fortunate countries with less money provide better internet than the US for cheaper and be more reliable? If your internet pipes cannot handle the load then clean out your pipes and quit advertising on how fast your network is.
I agree 100% !!!
#14
AT&T SUCKS!!
#15
I just got off the phone with tech support and YES ALL of AT & T customers are getting the cap.... for now just download the whole internet before the cap goes in effect :)
#16
atomicxl Suspended due non-functional email address
I don't think I stream anywhere near 150 GB a month so I'm not too bothered by this. I stream about maybe... 8 or 9 shows per week but all of them are less than 500mb, which still adds up to way less than the more than 30gb a week the capped plan allows for.

I don't think my internet connection is fast enough for XBox Live to possibly take me over that 30gb limit each week even if I somehow was able to play online 24/7.
#17
I really don't know what the bog screaming deal is here. If less than 5% of customers use 50% of bandwidth, then most people indeed have nothing to worry about. This model is common in Australia and Europe.
#18
Quote:

H0bbes

I really don't know what the bog screaming deal is here. If less than 5% of customers use 50% of bandwidth, then most people indeed have nothing to worry about. This model is common in Australia and Europe.


Because the service they are selling us started out as unlimited, and most people like the fact that the service is unlimited and dont want it to change
#19
I wrote a massive rant about how much AT&T sucks, but decided not to post it. The people that need to read it don't frequent these sites and now I'm feeling even more angry about these fake fothermucking usage caps.

KISS MY ASS AT&T! YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS THAT I PREFER NETFLIX FOR $7.99/MONTH "STREAMING ONLY" OVER YOUR SEIZURE INDUCING COMMERCIAL TELEVISION FOR WAY TOO MUCH, THAT GIVES SO LITTLE!
#20
The sad thing about this is I can't seem to find anything about this cap on AT&T's website. What's that about?
#21
Originally posted by baxter00:
The sad thing about this is I can't seem to find anything about this cap on AT&T's website. What's that about?
Of course they aren't going to announce it on the website. The caps aren't in effect yet. So why announce them to scare off potential new subscribers?
#22
They are ALL going to cap. Just get ready. This sucks for us who like to get 360 games (almost 7 GB a pop).

The reason is simple: Google, Yahoo!, Netflix and other big companies free-rode an already set up (and continuing construction) infrastructure (all those coax lines, copper lines, fiber optic lines, etc; this is how the companies see it). So the cost of not being able to be the front for television any more is being passed to the consumer by limiting bandwidth and charging for overage.

The companies simply are not making the money to invest in more infrastructure (which we need, especially in the US)? That I do not know but I certainly do not think that all of us heavy users (often BitTorrent) are killing the experience for light-weight users.

If you don't like the cap, buy business service if you can. Comcast Business has no cap (but it's considerably more expensive if you want TV and phone included). Charter Business has no cap either AFAIK. These companies would risk far too much and will have no money if they start limiting business bandwidth.
#23
F... AT&T!! I can't wait for Google fiber!
#24
Originally posted by tatsh:
They are ALL going to cap. Just get ready. This sucks for us who like to get 360 games (almost 7 GB a pop).
Be honest though, do you really need 20 new 360 games per month?



#25
Originally posted by Skiz:
F... AT&T!! I can't wait for Google fiber!
Yes so they can track everything you do on that too just like they do with Google.com, Gmail, Google TV, etc... Remember Google does nothing for the person unless they can get something out of it too and they want your internet habits so they can market advertisements to you.

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.67Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon 5770HD, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2TB Additional HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.