AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

P2P piracy drops significantly following LimeWire shut down

news article released on:

The NPD Group reported earlier this week that P2P piracy in the United States declined significantly in 2010. The market research firm said that the rate of users sharing pirated content on P2P networks dropped to 9 percent during 2010, down from 16 percent reported in 2007. This is a dramatic reversal in the trend of increasing Internet piracy over the last few years. NPD argues that ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 10 messages.

A good pirate would've barely noticed that Limewire was even down
▼▼ This topic has 9 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by shortybob:
A good pirate would've barely noticed that Limewire was even down
Never fear, for where one falls another 2 or 3 more is sure to take its place. It's an almost certainty.

Chance prepares the favored mind. Look up once in a while and you might learn something. - BLUEBOY
a good pirate will use google and youtube.
A good pirate uses ******.
They might have shown an immediate drop, but there's no reason to doubt that those limewire users have found a replacement by now. All these articles about that study are just hype.

The sad thing is that this shallow and poorly analyzed hype is used to justify anti-piracy groups currently going for domains and the gnutella network.
In Other News:
REVENGE: Napster boss set to buy Metallica’s record label Warner Music Group.
http://goo.gl/fb/zU77O

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.
gussoldnews Unverified new user
Originally posted by Mrguss:
In Other News:
REVENGE: Napster boss set to buy Metallica’s record label Warner Music Group.
http://goo.gl/fb/zU77O
Afterdawn posted that news a long ass time ago..search is your friend
I guess options are not the reason, I personally have stop illegal downloads since Netflix and hulu are making media much more accessible, Pandora and slaker are taking care of my music needs

Its also possible that a lot of these users on limewire were directed there through word of mouth, because of its simplicity of use similar to Kazaa and Napster. All those lost sheep now, having to resort to another similar proggy, and that's of course they can get directed to one. This report really doesn't surprise me, because most people who used limewire at all just simply didn't know better, or they didn't know a darn thing at all.
Originally posted by statomike:
They might have shown an immediate drop, but there's no reason to doubt that those limewire users have found a replacement by now. All these articles about that study are just hype.

The sad thing is that this shallow and poorly analyzed hype is used to justify anti-piracy groups currently going for domains and the gnutella network.
Yes, you are right. The article is full of sh1t! I do believe piracy has seen better days but it will continue as long as media sells its product at unfair prices. A large portion of the pirates have stopped just because they want to quit while they are ahead. Every thing was wide open for years.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.