AfterDawn: Tech news

Silverlight headed to Xbox 360 next week?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 05 Apr 2011 11:10 User comments (2)

Silverlight headed to Xbox 360 next week?

Winrumors has reported today that Microsoft appears to be on the verge of launching Silverlight for the Xbox 360.
The software giant will announce the plans at next week's MIX11 conference, and the sources claim the technology has been in the works for months.

Last November, Microsoft confirmed it was planning on bringing the tech to the console, but a Silverlight 5 preview day in December notably held back all details of the Xbox integrations.

If accurate, the company is also expected to open its own app Marketplace that will let Windows Phone 7 developers port their apps to the big screen.

Altogether, Silverlight will tie together the Xbox 360, Windows Phone 7 and the upcoming Windows 8 through a new "Jupiter" application model using AppX packages. Windows 8 will come with the app store pre-installed.

Previous Next  

2 user comments

15.4.2011 23:52

Well with any luck it'll have the support to play mkv files & other such unsupported formats tho the wiki i looked at is pointing at windows rather than xbox,still me wonders if it will now be poss at some point i freak'n hope so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Apr 2011 @ 3:13

26.4.2011 09:35

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
Well with any luck it'll have the support to play mkv files & other such unsupported formats tho the wiki i looked at is pointing at windows rather than xbox,still me wonders if it will now be poss at some point i freak'n hope so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Silverlight
I should think as long as someone writes a proper application..

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive