AfterDawn: Tech news

Comcast introduces new, fast 105Mbps cable service

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 14 Apr 2011 10:08 User comments (30)

Comcast introduces new, fast 105Mbps cable service Comcast has introduced their new Extreme 105 cable service today, offering 105Mbps downstream, at least 15 times faster than most of the other plans they offer.
The service is available in major cities like San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Miami.

Says Comcast:

This speed tier takes (our Internet services) to a whole new level. With it, we’re powering the digital home of the future.

Extreme 105 offer 10Mbps upload, as well, making video sharing much easier.

If purchased with a triple-play bundle (voice, tv, internet), the service will cost $105 per month for the first 12 months.

Previous Next  

30 user comments

114.4.2011 22:31
Skiz
Unverified new user

GOOGLE FIBER NETWORK!Comcast needs to try a little harder. Overpriced!

214.4.2011 23:33

10Mbps upsteam for $105? I get three times that for less than $40.

315.4.2011 00:24

Originally posted by KillerBug:
The upload is completely garbage for the price. Also, if the 105Mbps service is still capped at 250GB it's totally worthless. For $105/month the thing needs to be cap-free.

FiOS also puts the upload to shame; they offer a symmetrical 25Mbps connection for $65/month. The closest download speed from FiOS, however, is a 150Mbps/35Mbps at $200/month.

Also, this says it costs $105 for the first 12 months in a bundle. I bet after the first year and/or outside the bundle it costs the same or more than the mentioned FiOS service.

415.4.2011 01:19

What are you going to do with a 105Mbps downstream anyway? I can maybe see it if it was a 105/105...but without the upstream, speedtest.net will be the only site where you can see any difference from a 50Mbps connection.

BTW...I do have FiOS...their 12 month bundle is the reason I am paying less than $40 a month for 30/30 internet.

515.4.2011 01:35

What are you going to do with a 105Mbps downstream anyway?
I don't know. In terms of just speed though the average Internet user probably doesn't need more than ~7Mbps on a home connection.

I just find it funny that Comcast probably caps this service at 250GB/month; if you had something that could max out your connection you could hit the cap in about seven hours.

105Mb/8 = 13.125MBps
13.125MBps * 0.8 = 10.5MBps
250GB/10.5MBps = 6.77248677 hours

BTW...I do have FiOS...their 12 month bundle is the reason I am paying less than $40 a month for 30/30 internet.
That makes sense. I'd just hate to see what Comcast wants to charge for this service in a stand-alone situation if they plan to charge a promotional rate of $105 in a bundle.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Apr 2011 @ 1:36

615.4.2011 02:30

Comcast are a bunch of crooks you will never get a good price from them unless you get one of their promotes without it everything is way overpriced.

Basic cable with only 26 channels is 21.95, if you want the one next in line the price goes all the way to 54! wtF

Basic internet with 1.5 megabits is 24.95, if you want to uprage from that its 54.95 if you don't have cable with them and 44.95 if you have their cable.

I wish I could get fios

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Apr 2011 @ 2:31

715.4.2011 12:57

Marketing BS as normal! When I had their 20M service I was lucky to get 1.5M and peak periods were worst of course.

815.4.2011 15:21

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
Marketing BS as normal! When I had their 20M service I was lucky to get 1.5M and peak periods were worst of course.
1.5 on a 20 line??? I'd say you are well within your rights to sue/ get all your money back for fraudulent service.

915.4.2011 15:24
lissenup3
Inactive

From where bragger Mcgee??

1015.4.2011 18:26

Originally posted by lissenup3:
From where bragger Mcgee??
If you actually read the rest of the thread you would have seen his post after that stating he has FiOS.

1115.4.2011 22:42

I'd drop Comcast internet in a heartbeat if FIOS was available in the Houston area. Sadly it isn't & I wish that it was. Oh & AT&T just started a cap on internet service btw.....

1215.4.2011 23:13

I wish we had FIOS in the Minneapolis area too, but sadly not. It would be nice to have more cable companies and satelite providers as well. They like it that you do not have too many choices, advantage monopolies...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Apr 2011 @ 11:15

1315.4.2011 23:20

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
1.5 on a 20 line??? I'd say you are well within your rights to sue/ get all your money back for fraudulent service.
They say in the agreement that there are no guarantees so basically they can lie through their teeth and they DO! Just like Unlimited service is pretty much NEVER unlimited, what’s up with that?

1416.4.2011 01:06

I have AT&T. It's a supposed 6Mbps. I get an average of about 1.5Mbps... When it was first upgraded from the 3Mbps (where it was still a 1.5 actual), it was about 4-5Mbps. In a couple weeks it was back down to the 1.5Mbps. With all this union crap going on lately, there needs to be a customer union with all these direct lie rates.

1516.4.2011 01:39

That's kind of how mine went with comcast, it started out 7M then they bumped it to 12M, then I had what they call business service and that brought it up to around an actual 3M then it dropped back down to around 1.5M, then they upped it to 16M but my speed stayed the same for the most part, and you can see how this went much like your experience with AT&T.

1616.4.2011 02:37

Wow guys I feel for you..I'm glad I have Cablevision then...16Mbps paid for..average 14Mbps, even during peak.

1716.4.2011 02:52

CoD is unbearable. Battlefield does a pretty good job accounting for the connection but CoD spazzes quite a bit :/
Not to mention downloads really test my patience.

1816.4.2011 02:53

Nothing can compare to google's FREE broadband internet
http://www.google.com/tisp/

1916.4.2011 03:00

If cloud services are ever going to take the place of secondary storage, they are going to need upload speeds at least rivaling a slow HDD. This will pit companies like Amazon, Microsoft, and Google against the ISPs. It will be interesting to see who will win.

2016.4.2011 03:01

Originally posted by keebles:
Nothing can compare to google's FREE broadband internet
http://www.google.com/tisp/
HA! I forgot about that. I think that was one of there better ones.

2116.4.2011 09:42

That's kind of how mine went with comcast, it started out 7M then they bumped it to 12M, then I had what they call business service and that brought it up to around an actual 3M then it dropped back down to around 1.5M, then they upped it to 16M but my speed stayed the same for the most part, and you can see how this went much like your experience with AT&T.
I think my service from Comcast is for about a 15M speed. I get 6m on average with speed bursts uo to 20m sometimes. Of course I pay around $70 per month for internet only service from them.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Apr 2011 @ 9:43

2216.4.2011 11:34

Originally posted by bratcher:
I think my service from Comcast is for about a 15M speed. I get 6m on average with speed bursts uo to 20m sometimes. Of course I pay around $70 per month for internet only service from them.
I was paying $60/mo but my speed ratings are actual not going out to some hokey speed test site and seeing what they meter it at through a given host city. If I was to do that I would see around 12M however that truly isn't relevant or realistic.

2316.4.2011 11:41

I was paying $60/mo but my speed ratings are actual not going out to some hokey speed test site and seeing what they meter it at through a given host city. If I was to do that I would see around 12M however that truly isn't relevant or realistic.
I measure my connection speeds with the networking tab of Windows Task Manager.

2416.4.2011 12:31

That's about the same difference as using a speed test it really isn't a true measure. When I say that I get 3M that is a sustain max limit. I can reach this by trying to do multiple downloads and as I get past the limit the download rates start to decrease per DL link. If I add them up they will determine my actual throughput instead of some burst rate. If you have too many links and get past your max your throughput performance will drop so the key is not to overdo it. Typically I get to 3-4 DL's and I'm at my max from there my overall throughput drops and I lose performance.

2516.4.2011 17:23

My 1.5M was consistent and from all local servers. Plus, just doing single downloads sit around that.

2617.4.2011 00:18

I've had 1.5M DL's from a good host but that doesn't mean I'll see that from FileSonic lets say as a good example. You are always limited from the host site too.

2717.4.2011 07:18

I have comcast and average about 19 or so down, up is max about 1.4. I have ZERO other options in my area. FIOS is at least a year out they say. Well I could go back to dial up, not. Oddly my complaint with comcast is with their phone and tv service, phone was so bad I dropped it and the tv drops channels and loses sound at times. Waiting for some other option. 105M down, I see no home user maxing that pipe out.

2817.4.2011 07:57

I had their original digital phone service and it was great then they tried to force me to their VoIP but I knew I could do much better elsewhere, and did. Their TV is a joke at best and I hate how they are constantly changing pricing. There are way too many commercials in their horrible guide, their picture & sound quality overall isn't good, the only thing they do well is VOD, at that they excel.

Comcast lies through their teeth about all of their services so I seriously doubt they are going to even come close to 105M service, which would be better than a T3 line. I've talked to their management about services they provide and Comcast brainwashes them even about their services and how they compare to other providers.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Apr 2011 @ 7:58

2921.4.2011 01:24

they are still going throttle and netshape with a cap so who cares?

3021.4.2011 01:32

Originally posted by glazenuts:
they are still going throttle and netshape with a cap so who cares?
The sheeple unaware of what they're getting into.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive