1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way to remove Dell bloatware?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by wheelstb, Apr 30, 2011.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I just bought a laptop that is full of a bunch of junk. I was thinking about doing one of two things, if I can. A complete reformat or running the recovery partition. I am leaning towards doing a complete reformat. I do not an extra copy of Windows 7 lying around, can I use my Dell serial number to do a typical install of a standard (non-Dell) version of Windows 7?

On the other hand I think I have read that if I run the restore partition it only installs the operating system and the drivers. Is this true? If this is true it seems like it would be the best way to go.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

recovery partition puts all that bloatware back on along with windows.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

simple fix run an imaging tool after bloatware removed after you had formatted,this one time image now becomes your bloatware free recovery point,make a few more as you go adding this n that,these same recovery points can be used to restore to a new hdd as well so that only C partition exists,this doesn't mean you should remove your original drives recovery partition,nup not a good idea.

Edit: Oh yeah look thru your all progs list for option to create recovery dvd,it should be there or i'd expect it to be,my hp's had it so your dell will too i imagine

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  4. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

That is what I had started to do before I made this post. The problem is it is very tedious to figure out what to remove and to remove it. I would much prefer to just reformat, if I could. It would be easier and I would prefer just having a brand-new fresh start.

Is there any way I can reformat using a retail version of Windows 7 with my Dell serial number?

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Unlikely as dell is OEM at least that's the way it was with xp

6. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

so what it work with OEM copy of Windows 7 or is it strictly linked to dell? Retail was a bad choice of words I meant just a standard non-Dell version of Windows 7.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

not sure if they are linked all i know is an oem must have an oem disc to activate etc,etc.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

& same version as home to home not home to pro version of windows plus same service pack number.

9. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I knew they were linked by version such as home and Pro but, I did not know they were linked by service pack.

10. jremele

jremele Regular member

Go to Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs

and Uninstall all of it....

then run CCleaner (google it)

Then download your own software, simple as that :)

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

open ccleaner-hit tools button-uninstall = simple as no need for add/remove & loads a dam sight faster,check other functons it can do,also go get CCEnhancer it's an addon for ccleaner

12. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

thanks, I've been using CC cleaner forever and I didn't even remember remember that it had an installer. I'll give it a shot.