AfterDawn: Tech news

AT&T starts data caps for U-Verse and DSL

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 02 May 2011 1:18 User comments (30)

AT&T starts data caps for U-Verse and DSL AT&T has started its DSL and U-Verse bandwidth caps today, two months after announcing the move.
DSL users will have a 150GB cap while U-Verse subscribers will have a 250GB cap.

Anyone who exceeds the limit three times will be charged $10 for every extra 50GB of data consumed.

The new policy goes into effect today for new and existing customers.

AT&T says it will send notifications when you reach 65 percent of the cap, 90 percent and finally when you hit the full cap. The company will also give all subscribers software to help them track their usage.

The caps will affect under 2 percent of users, says the ISP, subscribers who use "a disproportionate" amount of data and slow down networks for others.

AT&T notes that the average subscriber uses 18GB of bandwidth per month.

Previous Next  

30 user comments

12.5.2011 13:28

lame but reasonable

22.5.2011 13:43

lets say someone plays games online on ps3 for 12 hours a day everyday... downloads maybe 10 1gig movies a month, plus downloads patches and updates for ps3 games and buys DLC/GAMES from the PS store 2-3 times a month as well as surfs the net alot (no downloading though just going to myspace and otherwebsites without DLing stuff) how much bandwidth does that consume?

32.5.2011 13:59

Originally posted by duomax007:
lets say someone plays games online on ps3 for 12 hours a day everyday... downloads maybe 10 1gig movies a month, plus downloads patches and updates for ps3 games and buys DLC/GAMES from the PS store 2-3 times a month as well as surfs the net alot (no downloading though just going to myspace and otherwebsites without DLing stuff) how much bandwidth does that consume?
None, the PS3 doesn't have online :P
But I'd say maybe 50 or 70 Gigs a month

42.5.2011 14:00

I'm sure you'll still be under 100GB for the month, honestly.

52.5.2011 14:07

I'm actually a bit surprised. The caps are very reasonable. Even the rates of going over is fair.

62.5.2011 14:11

I work from home over the internet and stream a lot of Netflix and play games online as well. I was just checking over my bandwidth usage over the past few months (dd-wrt yay!) and during the heavy months I used no more than 110 gigs.

I do not agree with this policy and I am a ATT DSL customer for many years now. We should not have to pay more because they can not get their network up to par. I for one will be canceling my service if I go over they cap and they try to make me pay the extra fee.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 May 2011 @ 2:12

72.5.2011 14:46

Last month I used 399 gigs. Constantly watching Netflix and gaming. Did you know if you leave your Netflix on the main screen, not watching a movie or show, it still runs bandwidth? Sad, but true. This is the link I use to get the bandwidth information.

http://goo.gl/YxrYN

Yeah, it works. It will tell you some of your past usage as well.
Sorry it's so long, I'm a noob with links.

Edited by DVDBack23: Edited your link, hope you don't mind, it was messing up the margins of the page.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 May 2011 @ 3:09

82.5.2011 16:10

Originally posted by 21Q:
I'm actually a bit surprised. The caps are very reasonable. Even the rates of going over is fair.
250GB is only reasonable when you consider that it would take two months to download that much from one of AT&T's crummy connections. It would be insanely with Verizon; I think I have downloaded more than that in 24 hours.

92.5.2011 16:58

The rates are reasonable. Much, much better than what Bell Canada wanted to force on everyone. But this won't help the network at all. People will still use their connections just as much, and AT&T will make a bigger profit. The only way I could see this being good is if they took the extra income from overages, and used every cent of it to upgrade the network in the areas where there is congestion. Once the problem is fixed it should go back to being unlimited.

Of course they won't admit there is a problem, just that people are using the network too much. In my opinion, if everyone can't use their connection at full speed, all at the same time, there is a problem.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 May 2011 @ 4:59

102.5.2011 17:08

F... AT&T!! I cant wait for Google fiber!

112.5.2011 18:28

At their speeds I would be suprised if anyone ever hit those caps. Their crap is so slow

123.5.2011 13:36
ZC
Unverified new user

I'm dropping AT&T just out of principle.

133.5.2011 15:07

In my area, AT&T has been reliable. There's only been MAYBE one outage a year, and they lasted no longer than 3 hours. I could move to Charter I suppose and go from 6Mbps to 20Mbps, but at the cost of inconsistent service.

As far as the caps, I don't see why people think that there's a principle being broken here. AT&T is in business for profit. They offer a service, and you agree to the conditions of the offered services when you sign up, which normally means that you agree to accept reasonable changes. I think that 10 bucks for 50 gigs is pretty cheap, especially when mobile overages are in the realm of $1000/GB [I think, feel free to check my math on that]. I honestly have no complaints except for the 6Mbps speed.

145.5.2011 17:02

@Hobbes - Really? You're comparing mobile phone overages with landline overages? Apples and platypuses.

If you go by file sizes, I'd guess data rates for movies looks about like:

Standard definition - 350m/hour (actually seems like 350-550)
720P - 1g/hour
1080P - 4g/hour

(my highly unscientific guesses)

If you watch only 1080P content, that's 62.5 hours of TV before you hit your cap. I know for a fact, my family watches more than that between movies and TV shows.

At 720P, you have a much more reasonable 250 hours/month.

Standard def? I'm not convinced in the age of Blu-ray pixel perfect pictures on huge TV screens that people are watching standard def shows on their 60" TV's.

Then add your normal Internet usage on top of that...

As long as we make excuses for our Internet service providers, we will be way behind countries like Lithuania and South Korea.

156.5.2011 07:22

I would love to have a 150 GB cap. I live in a rural area and have Wildblue satellite as my isp since it's the only broadband available to me. My monthly bandwidth is limited to 17 GB downloads and 5 GB uploads and it sucks during primetime due to slowdown. Ya'll don't have any reason to complain about usage limits!

166.5.2011 08:10

Nice, AT&T makes it easy not to switch to them. I was thinking about it before they decided to make caps. Thanks AT&T for making a hard decision easy. People that work from home in the IT business that stream movies and play games easily go over those caps.
Good luck getting more market share, lol.

176.5.2011 08:10

<multiple post>

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 May 2011 @ 8:16

186.5.2011 08:10

<multiple post>

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 May 2011 @ 8:16

196.5.2011 08:10

<multiple post>

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 May 2011 @ 8:17

206.5.2011 08:10

<multiple post>

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 May 2011 @ 8:17

216.5.2011 08:10

<multiple post>

226.5.2011 08:10

<multiple post>

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 May 2011 @ 8:18

236.5.2011 11:00

With all due respect that sounds like either a teeny-bopper or someone that has nothing to do with their lives. 12 a day seven days, 365? Unless your under 17 or it is your job then that is borderline loser material.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 May 2011 @ 1:04

246.5.2011 12:52

I switched the minute I found out they were starting caps. I've been paying at and t for 8 years and now they want to tell me what I can do with my service? Well I take that back.. not what I can do, just that I need to pay them more money...I switched to TWC and went from 3 down to 30 down for 7 dollars less a month.. and NO CAP... at least so far...

So glad they forced my hand...(at and t)

256.5.2011 13:03

Yeah, better to get more for a cheaper price.

266.5.2011 13:06

Originally posted by dibe:
I work from home over the internet and stream a lot of Netflix and play games online as well. I was just checking over my bandwidth usage over the past few months (dd-wrt yay!) and during the heavy months I used no more than 110 gigs.

I do not agree with this policy and I am a ATT DSL customer for many years now. We should not have to pay more because they can not get their network up to par. I for one will be canceling my service if I go over they cap and they try to make me pay the extra fee.
If they do "get their network up to par" you are going to be paying a considerable amount more. I'd rather pay less and stick with a cap OR switch to someone else.

276.5.2011 13:07

Originally posted by fmj77:
I would love to have a 150 GB cap. I live in a rural area and have Wildblue satellite as my isp since it's the only broadband available to me. My monthly bandwidth is limited to 17 GB downloads and 5 GB uploads and it sucks during primetime due to slowdown. Ya'll don't have any reason to complain about usage limits!
That is the problem with the most common of humans. Give them an inch and they will want to sleep with your wife.

287.5.2011 07:18

I cannot believe what ISPs in America do. I couldn't even think about a time when caps would be reintroduced to internet subscriptions. In the time of Blu-ray when easily a hd rip is between 4GB and 16GB and the uncompressed file is between 25GB and 50GB that's unthinkable of. Here in Romania I have a 100Mbps connection, FTTB, and at this speeds I would easily go over that limit... I do hope they get a huge backlash from it's subscribers, this is no way to go forward!

297.5.2011 22:26

adre02, 3 posts in a row again?

3024.5.2011 16:59

*BUMP* Just a heads up for people forced to use ATT for one reason or another, the Small Businesses DSL Plans cost $5 more and they are not capped. A small price to pay if you ask me!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive