AfterDawn: Tech news

Record label visits schools to combat piracy

Written by James Delahunty @ 26 May 2011 7:27 User comments (8)

Record label visits schools to combat piracy Independent label in the UK visits schools to educate kids about the work that goes into making music, and how illegal downloading threatens the whole system.
Shed Records, an independent record label in London, is visiting schools and allowing children to use some of its equipment to put together their own music tracks. The aim is to teach the students how much work goes into making just one track, and how many people have to be paid for their part in the process.

The effort is being backed by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), which represents the recorded music industry in the UK.

They want the children to understand that it is not just artists who lose out to piracy. "A whole army of people work behind the scenes to bring you new, fresh music," said Paul Shedden, Head of Label at Shed Records.

"Everything from the songwriters through to production, artists, engineers, radio pluggers, PR companies all those people need to get paid. Otherwise they can't continue doing the jobs they love and the music you love will stop coming out."

Currently, the scheme is targeting five schools as a trial, and if successful, the plan is to extend nationally, with other labels around the country providing similar sessions in schools.

Tags: piracy BPI UK
Previous Next  

8 user comments

126.5.2011 20:07

This isn't such a bad thing... provided they don't preach the whole "Piracy will ruin your life, they'll get you" thing that was so popular a few years back.

226.5.2011 20:10

Too bad it's not coming to my school, I'd give them a full lesson in intellectual property and economics.

326.5.2011 23:06

I don't think the teacher would give you a chance; she would tell you to sit down and take your brainwa...er..um..lesson.

427.5.2011 00:34

Quote:
Shed Records, an independent record label in London, is visiting schools and allowing children to use some of its equipment to put together their own music tracks.

For the sake of realism, I assume the children are expected to sue their fellow classmates, teachers and of course the visiting labels if they don't pay to view the performance of their created music, yes?

527.5.2011 12:32

Need I remind people that "stealing" is the act of 'removing from another'?

Do I also need to point out the blatant, well-known and brutally honest fact that artists don't make any money (very little I should say) from "Record Sales"? Money is made touring by charging $34.95 for a t-shirt and $49.95 for a sweatshirt. Artists know this so PISS OFF labels!

629.5.2011 14:06

Originally posted by hearme0:
Need I remind people that "stealing" is the act of 'removing from another'?

Do I also need to point out the blatant, well-known and brutally honest fact that artists don't make any money (very little I should say) from "Record Sales"? Money is made touring by charging $34.95 for a t-shirt and $49.95 for a sweatshirt. Artists know this so PISS OFF labels!
Here, Here!!!

I have written so many times of this fact my fingers are nubs!

I've worked in the industry (music & movie) & once you get your check at the end of the day, you've been paid, that's it. And the wage is not what you'd think it was. Artists go in thinking they're going to get respect and that simply isn't the case (not 1st timers). Desperation is a horrible thing. I suppose I'll have to write a whole blog on 'just' the music labels (at least what it 'was' like) and give folks a glimpse into reality.

Sure performing is great, but as to getting paid...? Here's a quick way of looking at it...

EVERYBODY loves art... Music, movies, photos, presentations of several calibers; until they have to pay for it.

74.6.2011 11:02

....and then they asked the children "Where does your Mom and Pop get their music? Let me write that down, could you repeat that please."

84.6.2011 12:40

Check out my most recent blog. Visit my personal page for the site. Apparently, my signature is being blocked...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Jun 2011 @ 2:05

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive