AfterDawn: Tech news

Apple WWDC 2011: $30 OS X Lion, iOS 5, free iCloud

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 06 Jun 2011 1:09 User comments (22)

Apple WWDC 2011: $30 OS X Lion, iOS 5, free iCloud

Today is Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, where the company is expected to launch iOS 5, Mac OS X Lion and iCloud.

Mac OS X Lion

The company says there are now 54 million Mac users, globally. Growth has beaten the market for 5 years now, "thanks to products like MacBook Air."

Notebooks like Air, Pro are now 73 percent of all Apple PC sales.

With OS X Lion, Apple has added 250 new features including: Multitouch Gestures (momentum scrolling, multitouch taps, pinch to zoom); Full Screen Apps (quick control to toggle apps to FS); Mission Control ("a single unified interface accessible via a gesture that offers a bird's eye view of whats going on at your Mac.") Launchpad, Resume and Autosave are now added, like iOS.

Best of all, the download will only be 4GB and cost just $30.

iOS 5

Apple says there are now over 200 million iOS 5 devices, with iOS being the top mobile operating system on the market (44% share).

25 million iPads have been sold since launch in 2010. iTunes hits 15 billion downloads, top retailer for music in the world.

iOS 5 Beta will be released for Apple TV, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4 CDMA, iPod Touch 3Gen, iPod Touch 4Gen and all iPad models.

The iBookstore has 6 major publishers now, with 130 million books. The App Store has hit 425,000 apps and 90,000 native iPad apps. 14 billion app downloads and $2.5 billion paid out to developers.

iOS 5 will have 1500 new APIs and 200 new features: New notification center including swipe down from top to pull list of events (just like Android) for missed calls, weather, mail, alerts, etc. Push notifications will be more subtle, on top of screen not in center. Can see notifications on lock screen. Tap on notification to go directly to app. News Stand adds mags/newspaper subscriptions in one place.

Twitter has been integrated, with single signon for Twiiter in every app. Camera has Tweet option and Twitter is integrated into Maps and browser.

Safari adds new Reader and Reading List. Tabbed browsing being added for iPad.

Reminders: iOS adding events/to-do list reminders, which will use GPS for location.

Camera icon is updated, and can be accessed from lock screen. Use volume buttons to take the pic. Can edit photos from within gallery. The Mail app has been updated to include rich text formatting, bold/italic/underline, flagging and search as well as support for S/MIME for enterprise users.

iPad also gets thumb keyboard, if you drag keyboard it splits and repositions to make for easier thumb typing.

iOS 5 is also finally PC-free, meaning you no longer need to connect the devices to the computer to setup. All updates are OTA now, as well. No more need for iTunes.

Death To BlackBerry

Apple has launched iMessage, "the best messaging app out there." The service works between iOS customers, iPad/Touch/Phone just like BlackBerry Messenger. The service can send texts, photos, videos all sent with encryption and pushed to all iOS devices. Group messaging, typing indication, delivery receipts and more now standard.

iCloud

Steve Jobs has introduced the iCloud service, which will be completely free, killing off MobileMe.

Take a picture or add music to the iCloud, it is synced to all other iDevices instantly and automatically. "It just works." Contacts, Calendar and Mail, Apps, iBooks all synced to all devices.

You can backup everything wirelessly to the cloud via Wi-Fi, including app data and device settings.

Similar to Google Docs is "Documents in the Cloud." Work on Pages, Notes, Numbers and continue on other devices.

Photo Stream allows you to take photos on iPhone, share them on iPad without needing to move them. Auto-uploaded to Cloud and synced to Mac, iOS devices.

iTunes in the Cloud available also, for free. Buy an app on iPhone, its on iPad instantly.

Everyone gets their very own Data Center. No sharing.

"One More Thing...": If you have thousands of songs you have ripped yourself, you can get that music on your devices. For $25 a year, you can take all that music, upload it, Apple will convert it to 256kbps AAC DRM-free for you.

Previous Next  

22 user comments

16.6.2011 14:48

Yay!!!!!

May all the Apple-loving brethren converge together in happiness and look forward to their alien-driven spaceship coming down to earth to pick them up and take them away.

F this and F Apple and their limited products.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Jun 2011 @ 2:56

26.6.2011 15:15

So they will probably release the next iPhone in the fall to coincide with the release of iOS 5.

36.6.2011 15:20

Amazon was the first...

I wonder when M$ will deside to do the windoze cloud? 2015?

46.6.2011 15:23

Originally posted by ZeusAV:
So they will probably release the next iPhone in the fall to coincide with the release of iOS 5.
This seems accurate, yes. iPhone 5 + iOS 5 in September.

56.6.2011 15:35

I'm not storing anything on other peoples servers. Especially when their motives are questionable.

256K? Oh joy....:(
Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Jun 2011 @ 3:35

66.6.2011 16:18

Hmm, OS X Lion sounds disappointing. Might as well throw my iMac in the garbage. Thanks iPhone.

And iMessage is stupid. It'll be obsolete when BBM goes multi-platform,and if Apple doesn't accept it on their devise, then its the poor customers that lose out.

76.6.2011 16:42

30$ for an Apple OS? It's likely only an upgrade rather than the entire OS.

86.6.2011 17:14

Originally posted by Morreale:
And iMessage is stupid. It'll be obsolete when BBM goes multi-platform,and if Apple doesn't accept it on their devise, then its the poor customers that lose out.
Do you really trust RIM to do something good for their brand? I don't.

96.6.2011 18:55

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Do you really trust RIM to do something good for their brand? I don't.

Well they brought Android emulation to the Playbook, I could see them bringing a BBM app to the Android market at least... Plenty of rumors on it, no answers though.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Jun 2011 @ 6:55

106.6.2011 19:26

iOS 5 beta Downloads: http://bit.ly/kwnCrY

116.6.2011 19:33

Originally posted by Mrguss:
iOS 5 beta Downloads: http://bit.ly/kwnCrY
Thank you for the link. I was speaking about a full iOS 5 however, which will, I assume launch as above posted. If anyone here has an iPhone or iPad, I would love to see some working screenshots of the new OS.

126.6.2011 21:50

Also nice to see Apple adopt Android's notification system.

136.6.2011 22:04

It'd be an interesting concept if they allowed a dual booting into android os, yanno for the carrier that doesn't have a great selection of android devices.

146.6.2011 23:44

$30 for a broken Linux distro? No thanks...if I want to run linux, I have a wide selection of free choices that are all better than OSX.

iMessage? No thanks...it isn't secure if it was made by apple; there is a back door for sure. Oh, and it won't have any effect on blackberry because it cannot communicate with the BB network that all of your co-workers are using...so no one is going to buy it for that. Plus, they once again ignored the one thing that business people want the most...a qwerty keyboard.

iCloud? Sounds a lot like what Android already has...except it isn't free and they convert your music to a format that no one wants (too big and wasteful for casual listeners...too low of a quality for audiophiles).

Android support? Yeah...just what we need...another lawsuit because a company removed OtherOS support after launch.

157.6.2011 15:04

i find it funny that all the online media outlets were saying that the ios 5 will not support 3g/3gs even after the German report that it came from said '3g(empty Space)?' none of them thought about it. apple would be stupid to drop support for two Generation modle Iphones at one time that would be almost half if not more of their user base and right after the 3gs sale blitz that went on none of the reports followed up and said they were wrong or they might be scared to say that they dont know or to do their own work to find out

168.6.2011 04:16

LoL...like apple cares about their user base? This is a company that doesn't have flash on their tablets or bluray support on their media center PCs.

In the past, Apple has cut off users from upgrading less than 1.5 years after product launch, while the products are still being sold...it wouldn't be groundbreaking for them to block the 3GS from getting the next update...and given their insanely loyal user base, it would not even be a bad business move...those sheeple will not think, "Hey, Apple is screwing me over to force me to buy a new phone that is already outdated"...they will think, "Finally, an excuse to buy an iPhone4...surely Flash videos will work on that!".

178.6.2011 06:03

Your forgetting they have competition with the android os thats on more model phones than the iphone os and people wont pay full price to upgrade in this market when discount modle switch upgrade is less money

188.6.2011 08:04

They said iOS 5 is coming to the 3GS but not the 3G. They haven't updated the 3G since 4.2.1. Given their pattern (last update for the 2G was 3.1.3) they probably will stop updating the 3GS somewhere along the 5.x.x firmware.

1911.6.2011 12:43

Originally posted by Mez:
Amazon was the first...

I wonder when M$ will deside to do the windoze cloud? 2015?
You do realize Microsoft (as much as we dislike in general) has had cloud service for many years (before Amazon).
Windows Live was the first step. Instant messenger almost any device to any device including chat with facebook. Skydrive where you can set up secure or public storage as well as automatic sync from their phone and other embedded devices. as well as many other services. They continue to expand all the time (Skype probably being one of the next additions). Windows Azure has also been building for a while that takes cloud service to the next level allowing online applications that work directly with the desktop or mobile/embedded devices).

Everyone else is just now finally catching up as well as adding new variations and ideas.

I am not an Apple person, more of an Android person (Android of course is quickly eating Apples for lunch). There is even manipulation in the figures. If you got the Iphone 3, then the Iphone 3gs, then the Iphone 4 you could as 3 devices towards this figure.

Android will probably rule the roost pretty soon if not doing so already. Plus they seem in most of their talks be focused on shutting down blackberry who have been in their last trows of life anyway.

2012.6.2011 08:20

You get what you pay for.
Quality products that actually work with great support.
I feel sorry for those who are tied into Windows for financial reason or just stubbornness.

Apple just does everything right.

Suck on that!

2114.7.2011 09:10

Originally posted by KillerBug:
$30 for a broken Linux distro? No thanks...if I want to run linux, I have a wide selection of free choices that are all better than OSX.

iMessage? No thanks...it isnt secure if it was made by apple; there is a back door for sure. Oh, and it wont have any effect on blackberry because it cannot communicate with the BB network that all of your co-workers are using...so no one is going to buy it for that. Plus, they once again ignored the one thing that business people want the most...a qwerty keyboard.

iCloud? Sounds a lot like what Android already has...except it isnt free and they convert your music to a format that no one wants (too big and wasteful for casual listeners...too low of a quality for audiophiles).

Android support? Yeah...just what we need...another lawsuit because a company removed OtherOS support after launch.
Wow, who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

OS X isnt even "Linux", let alone a broken one.
Since you seem to be uneducated in the topic of OS X (among other things...), go to Wikipedia and read up on OS X -- and maybe youll stop making stupid assumptions.

Next, you say that "business people want a QWERTY keyboard the most". Really? You ran a large study on this? Or is this another one of your stupid assumptions?
iOS HAS a QWERTY keyboard, dummy. Maybe you meant a PHYSICAL keyboard? OK. If thats the case, why is Apple now beating RIM in smartphone market share? Is it because "they once again ignored the one thing that business people want the most...a qwerty keyboard."? LOL.

iMessage is the BBM for the rest of us. Period. Theres more iOS devices out there than Blackberrys. They call it a "Blackberry Killer" because one of the only reasons that consumers get Blackberries is because of BBM. Now that Apple has implemented a system that is similar to BBM, Blackberrys have a moot selling point.

Apples main target market isnt business people, yet, more businesses are moving from RIM to Apple than the other way around. Im Canadian. I love my country. And I want to see RIM succeed, but they are pushing the same shitty OS on phones that look like theyre from 2004.

Im not a fanboy either. I think OS X Lion is a piece of shit compared to Snow Leopard. But you seem like a half-brained idiot. I expect some childish response (you fit the part), but expect none from me.

2214.7.2011 22:57

you just did & i'm canadian too.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive