AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft to cut support for Dolby in Windows 8?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 08 Aug 2011 3:32 User comments (16)

Microsoft to cut support for Dolby in Windows 8? Following an already overly rough year, Dolby announced last week that Microsoft's Windows 8 OS might leave its technology out.
Since 2007, Microsoft has included Dolby surround sound tech in its Windows operating systems, and the licensing agreement accounted for 12 percent of the company's total revenue.

"(We) have recently learned that our technologies are not currently included in the Windows 8 operating system under development. If our technologies are not included in the commercial version of Windows 8, we expect to support DVD playback functionality by increasingly licensing our technologies directly to OEMs and ISVs, and we will seek to extend our technologies to further support online content playback," read Dolby's statement.

Microsoft did not give a public reason for ditching Dolby, but it appears that adding the tech was no longer a selling point so saving the money seemed prudent.

Many PC makers license the tech directly, regardless.

Previous Next  

16 user comments

18.8.2011 17:22

Purchasing a copy of Windows for one purpose being that of sound quality... Not exactly the original reason for me to use Windows in the first place, which begs why this was a problem to begin with.

28.8.2011 17:28

Quote:

Many PC makers license the tech directly, regardless.
Pretty much sums everything up.

38.8.2011 21:04

So does that mean it will be up to the sound card driver and hardware to support it along with the software that plays the video/audio?

48.8.2011 21:57

That's okay I use the DTS sound track.
Besides there will always be a work around.
Dolby digital does not have the dynamic range, channel separation and S/N ratio DTS does.
Unfortunate for people who still use DVD's. Blu-Ray, DTS is the default multi-channel audio.
Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Aug 2011 @ 10:02

58.8.2011 22:22

There will still be support for at least 7.1 anyway, and there will be clone codecs that come as part of codec packs, so no worries...not unless you work at Dolby.

68.8.2011 22:37

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Purchasing a copy of Windows for one purpose being that of sound quality... Not exactly the original reason for me to use Windows in the first place, which begs why this was a problem to begin with.
Quite is kept, I rarely use my PC to view disks.
That is what my stand alone player is for.
However, I do have a HDMI cable running from my 295GTS DVI-D port converted to HDMI to my Plasma TV. Yea, I know DVI-D does not support audio. I use an optical cable for audio.

I like sitting in the living room listening to multi-channel audio running through my Denon amp with good speakers to watch movies. Must be my oldness...
Yes I also run the PC through the Denon.

Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Aug 2011 @ 10:45

79.8.2011 20:10

hopefully DDL is still supported, or your going to have a lot of very angry gamers. surprisingly i didn't even know Windows came with a Dolby codec...The More You Know==+

812.8.2011 09:56

The only place this becomes an issue is with Media Center and for that they should be able to playback LPCM, DD, & DTS streams, however they can't natively with all.

For myself if I'm going to watch a movie from my PC I rely on a 3rd party's player & codecs for support.

912.8.2011 11:22

Where is dolby needed in the digital age?

Dobby is the best at removing analog static. I digitized everything I have that I wanted to preserve years back. That was a several yr project. My turn table died near the end and had to borrow one to finish. It might be useful for analog capture and possibly very useful for playing audio that came over the air waves. I don't do that anymore. If I listen to the radio the music is streamed. I left the captured audio as is so I can tell the source by its sound.

I hate to do this but I am with M$ on this one.

1012.8.2011 11:26

Dolby isn't just about noise reduction or compression and by the way there is such a thing as digital noise as well. Dolby & DTS provide multi-channel sound delivery this is the issue here.

1112.8.2011 12:37

I have to go with MrMovies on this one... Dolby laboratories moved into multichannel support somewhere in the late 80s when Lucas Arts started with THX. Folks wanted another means of playing back not only hi-fidelity sound, but the multichannel support as well without having to pay the exorbitant price of THX certification. Not to mention all the equipment & that expense to actually be able to even playback properly.

Dolby shared its technology across the board & sound equipment became cheaper. Maybe not the best or an industry leader, but was still the best alternative to small theater houses wanting to upgrade to a 'surround sound' venue.

DTS also made it possible for a better dynamic sound range than the original sound being reproduced off of the edge of all 35mm film. That was an analog optical reader with still limited technology at the time & definitely limited frequency response. Not to mention any dirt of crud that got into/onto the film would also be reproduced as sound in the movie during playback.

The '0' & '1' replacement on that film edge made it possible to overcome that problem as well as the aforementioned multichannel pluses.

1212.8.2011 16:21

Well you caught me flapping my mouth.

1312.8.2011 17:13

Originally posted by Mez:
Don't be too offended. I wouldn't have known that much about it all had it not been for the fact I was working with all this equipment back when the earth was cooling.

1412.8.2011 17:37

"Dont be too offended. I wouldnt have known that much about it all had it not been for the fact I was working with all this equipment back when the earth was cooling."

When Dolby surround was first introduced if I remember correctly it was 4 channel, well actually 3 channel. The surround channel was Mono. I made my first setup by using the positive leads from the front channels which decoded the surround track.

That was during my Laser Disk days. For some reason I still have all the disks I purchased. I no longer have a player however I looked up my old Pioneer player on eBay. Be damned! They are still available used or refurbed. Really not worth it with today's technology.

Things sure have com along way since then.
Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Aug 2011 @ 5:54

1512.8.2011 20:52

Originally posted by Mez:
I agree with Russ definately don't sweat it you are normally right on track. We all get off track from time to time, I know I do for sure!

1612.8.2011 23:49

Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:
Things sure have com along way since then.
Jeff
Indeed they have...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive