1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally, a DivX compatible Standalone DVD player ??

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by VCDjunkie, Oct 14, 2002.

1. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

well, we have waited and waited, and finally it is here.. I can't wait to see what people have to say about it once it is released.

http://www.kiss-technology.com/news/content.asp?id=44

http://www.kiss-technology.com/projects/dvd_450.pdf

According to the specs, this DVD player plays Mpeg4 video (DivX) files and has an internal hard drive (size not specified) and both front tray loader, and IDE interface.

The decoder is apparantly based on Sigma’s EM8500 progressive DVD decoder chip, which has some critics, but the ultimate critics wil be the consumers.

Another interesting thing about the specs on the .pdf file, it says it supports Dolby Digital/DTS/MPEG 5.1 ... screech.. hold up, rewind.. did it say it also supports MPEG 5.1 audio? Can somebody please buy this thing and let me know if it is all that it's cracked up to be..

I for one can't wait to see more manufacturers racing to compete with these guys driving the prices down.. I can see it now, within a year or so we will probably have Standalone DVD players with DivX 4,5 playback for around $100.00

Last edited: Oct 14, 2002
  2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well it's a start but I wouldn't race to it just yet. As the first manufacturer of such a product, they'd probably burn holes in your pockets to buy them!

I'd wait for a while b4 I'd buy it because they released it late in the year. In other words, near Christmas! so they know people are going to be looking for these so they'll charge a high price until christmas is over and then those who did buy it would be pretty pissed!

Ah, soon enough there will be stand-alones that have the capability of a pc dvd player (can play anything off a cd as long as you have any thing required like a codec!) Wouldn't it be funny to have a dvd player with a few slots for codecs!!

3. VCDjunkie

I really like the idea you proposed.. in order to read codecs, it would need a very crude operating system, but shouldn't be impossible.. maybe we should start a business and recruit some people that can create this using a 32mb ROM chip and Windows CE.. sounds like it just might work!! too bad I know nothing of the programming languages that would be needed to undergo such a development.. oh well

;-)

4. Dela

Ye i know what you mean. The worst thing is that, some guy will just be browsing over this forum some day and see the idea!! Then he'll go through with it and get filthy rich!!!. So if we see a device like this soon, I think we should look for the designer (appently) and kill him!!!

Better make sure it doesn't happen!!!!

ahem.... © 2002 Dela Industries. All rights reserved.

lol

5. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

Hate to burst your bubble folks but the company I work for has been thinking about doing it but doesnt want to face the movie industry..There has been arguments that if they make dvd players that support Divx that they will be encouraging piracy...(but like I pointed out to them it would be a hot item and would sell faster then the average dvd player)

6. VCDjunkie

yeah, kinda figured that was why nobody has come up with a DivX DVD player before now.. never heard of these guys before, guess they figured they had nothing to lose, right?

7. Dela

Think, however of the amount of people who will want a divx player!!! There's 100,000,000 (or so) File Sharers who wouldnt mind it + you would get past vcd quality limitations and store a great quality movie on one cd!

But yes, I can only begin to imagine the hammering they will get off the movie industry!

8. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

it just occured to me what if you had a dvd player that played divx . Think of all the movies you could burn to one DVD R .kinda scary isn't it.....

9. Dela

Ye thats what i mean. limitless possibilites. Imagine divx took over dvd cause it can be much smaller filesizes and have the same quality!! That's be funny!

10. VCDjunkie

you could fit an entire season of friends on a single DVD.. although, my girlfriend would probably rather have the entire collection of sex & the city.. anyhow, wouldn't that be awesome! just need to get an affordable DVD/DivX player.. this one is $400.00 !!

11. Dela

Girlfriend??? I thought you were married??????????????????????

12. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Guest

About the codec comment; I bought one of those iRiver SlimX mp3 players. It has upgradable firmware that allows it to support any audio codec simply by burning it to a disc and putting it in the machine. It's not hard to imagine that an electronics manufacturer could do the same thing w/ a dvd player and save the expense of a hard drive and ide interface, thus allowing it to be quite a bit cheaper.

Brant

13. Dela

Ye and as soon as they do it, the better. I wouldn't mind a dvd player that I could play any video file in as long as I had the proper codec!

14. VCDjunkie

no dela, not married yet, but if my girlfriend of almost 3 years has anything to say about that, I will be married very soon!

The only problem I see with having to load your own codecs is that people generally don't know how to find codecs, then they post at afterdawn wondering why their movies from kazaa don't play correctly.. I think any good DVD player should come with the ability to play all movies built in, and future compatiblity should be as easy as a firmware update!

15. Dela

Well I think that pretty soon we will have that VCD! Well hopefully anyway. Sorry bout that earlier, I must have mixed u up with someone else! AND DAMN IT MAN, WHY DONT I SEE YOU ON IRC??????????????????????????????????

16. VCDjunkie

I don't do IRC.. sorry :(
    I haven't had much time at all with my girlfriend or to spend in front of a pc. Since I don't get much time with Julia (my gf), she takes up most of my free time which hasn't been very much lately, hence my lack of posts on afterdawn.com.. anyhow, maybe one of these days I will have much more time to play with IRC and on that day I will have to seek you out! in the mean time, I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow so I must sleep now.. Later!

17. Dela

Oh I see, I was wondering where you were disappearing to for the last week. Whenever you've time, do drop in cause you seem like someone I could get on with easily!!! Also the channel needs someone from the US!!!

18. big_hed

big_hed Member

>make dvd players that support Divx that they will be encouraging piracy

Don't know about that, plenty of DVD players that play MP3s.

19. hbkid96

hbkid96 Member

Can someone tell me where I can buy this divx standalone player? all the online stores I've seen are forign sites that I can't shop from. I don't mind the price I just can't understand where and how to order it. HELP

20. VCDjunkie

I think I was smoking crack when I first posted this thread, I can't see anywhere that this thing has an IDE interface, I did however read the part where it mentions the Sigma 8500 chipset supports front loader DVD and/or IDE interfaces..

them smart folks put too many things to confuse simple minded people like me inside them there press releases..