AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft demos Windows 8 user interface

Written by James Delahunty @ 13 Sep 2011 1:20 User comments (31)

Microsoft demos Windows 8 user interface

Microsoft just showed off an early development build of Windows 8 at the Windows BUILD keynote.
Steve Sinofsky took to the stage to boast some stats on the success of Windows 7, but that's not what we wanted to hear/see (we'll talk about that later.) What we wanted to see is how is Microsoft going to revamp Windows so much to justify the comparisons to the changes made when Windows 95 was first unveiled?

Sinofsky first wants to calm any fears that Microsoft is simply building all of these new features as layers atop its Windows operating system. He takes out a first-generation netbook from Lenovo that runs Windows 8, and then shows us just how it manages it.

Windows 8, today, in its early development stage, uses less memory and runs less processes under normal use, compared to Windows 7. At its Preview release stage, Windows 7 required 540MB of RAM, running 34 processes. That dropped to 404MB and 32 processes in Windows 7 SP1. Windows 8 blows it out of the water, running on about 208MB with 29 processes.

Support for ARM-based chipsets, x86 (as well as x32 and x64) devices, touch and sensors means Windows 8 works beautifully across a spectrum of devices, from 10-inch tablets and laptops to all-in-ones with 27-inch high-definition screens.

"We are very focused on the fundamentals of Windows 8," Sinofsky insists. All the Demos shown today will work on systems built atop x86 and ARM architecture. Next-generation system on a chip (SoC) support will also enable greatly extended standby and low-power states.

Windows 8 runs on PCs and is compatible with the devices and programs you use today on Windows 7, without compromise, to deliver the performance you expect of a PC.

"Everything that's great about Windows 7, is better in Windows 8," we're told before Julie Larson-Green, Corporate Vice President, Windows Experience, arrives to give us a quick hands on look at the development-stage Windows 8 user-interface. Some of the Apps shown in this demo will not ship with Windows 8, instead they were developed for this demo by Microsoft's college interns over the past ten weeks as a challenge.

The demo, as it goes along, includes both the Metro UI interface (which is aimed at touch-screens but can be comfortably controlled with a keyboard and mouse) and also the traditional Desktop User Interface.

Windows 8 Lock Screen - Unlocked using swipe on multi-touch.

Windows 8 Logon Screen - No field for a password? Julie unlocks the screen by tapping areas of her daughter's picture in a sequential order, and the screen unlocks if she gets it right.

Windows 8 Start Screen - Start Screen is the core of the Windows 8 Metro UI. It groups your applications together in a way you can easily drag and drop them, or add new things. Apps communicate with each other in Windows 8. For example, you can easily select and email photos from different places, such as Facebook, Flickr or on your hard drive.

Windows 8 Start Screen - Groups of Tiles, Zoomed Out. Groups can be dragged and dropped just like individual tiles.

Windows 8 Start Screen Group - Any Group of Tiles / Apps can be renamed easily.

Personalising User Account - Control Panel offers simple solution to customizing your Windows 8 experience.

Pick New Lock Screen - Julie can change the picture she uses to login to her account.

Add a New Account Picture - Using a built-in webcam app, Julie takes picture of this teddy, easily cropping it, for her new User Account picture.

Headlines News App - Pulling down content from the Web is easy. Selecting any Headline loads it in a Newspaper-like layout.

Socialte App - Social Networking Application

Video Playback Settings - Shows fluid interface for video playback

Internet Explorer - Internet Explorer 10 developer preview.

Charms

Windows 8 Search - Search Apps

Windows 8 Search - Music Results

Windows 8 Search - Bing Web Results

Windows 8 Search - Tweet Results

Windows 8 Search - Photo Feedr

Windows 8 on ARM Tablet - Microsoft aiming at Tablet PC market

Windows 8 Desktop Logon Screen - Using on a Desktop computer with a keyboard and Mouse, the Logon screen looks similar to recent iterations of Windows. One thing to note is the message in the bottom right-hand corner; "Your PC will restart in 2 days to finish installing security updates." That is how you will be alerted by Windows Update from now on, no more big intimidating countdowns.

Windows 8 Task Manager - Task Manager running in Windows 8, displaying running Apps

Windows 8 Task Manager - Notice how Apps become "suspended". When in idle state, an App is suspended and so uses up no extra CPU cycles. This will help with performance and battery life of mobile devices.

Windows 8 Task Manager - Perhaps having Mark Russinovich as a Technical Fellow has played a part in the re-design of Task Manager. Here we see extended information on Applications and Background processes.

Windows 8 Task Manager - App History. This shows resource usage by modern applications.

Windows 8 Reset and Refresh - Refreshing your PC will restore defaults. All applications, personal files and personalization stay the same

Windows 8 Reset and Refresh - If you are giving away / selling your PC, you can opt to Reset. This will bring Windows 8 back to its initial state.

Windows Assessment Console - The Windows Assessment console allows you to run standard benchmarks against your own hardware and compare it to other hardware.

Windows Assessment Console - Run Individual Assessments. You can line-up your own checks, such as Boot Performance and Driver Verification. You can also use the Windows Assessment Console to drain the battery and provide you with an analysis of its state.

Tags: Windows 8
Previous Next  

31 user comments

113.9.2011 15:46

Quote:
Julie unlocks the screen by tapping areas of her daughter's picture in a sequential order, and the screen unlocks if she gets it right.

could have done a better job then using that as an example

213.9.2011 16:08

everyone has like 6 gigs of ram nowaday who cares if it drops 100mbs lol

313.9.2011 16:18

Originally posted by FatalAD:
Really. Everyone has 6GB RAM these days?

413.9.2011 17:05

Still don't like the design, using less resources or no. This may have to grow on a lot of people, but I give MS this, they actually seem to be trying to make their OS better for a change. There's more bold changes coming in this OS since MS moved from 3.11 to 95.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Sep 2011 @ 5:06

513.9.2011 17:32

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Still don't like the design, using less resources or no. This may have to grow on a lot of people, but I give MS this, they actually seem to be trying to make their OS better for a change. There's more bold changes coming in this OS since MS moved from 3.11 to 95.
Ye I think the Metro UI is something a lot of people won't really use a lot if using a PC or notebook, but its simple tap of Windows key to change between Metro UI and more traditional Windows Desktop UI.

613.9.2011 17:57

i have 16gb of ram.....so your wrong :D

713.9.2011 19:21

I do phone tech support. I cannot imagine trying to help some novice that has this UI installed. It will be a nightmare.

813.9.2011 22:10

well I have been thinking a lot of bad things about windows 8 but after this I see that it has a lot of good changes as well. looks like with some small customizations it will be a improvement over windows 7.

913.9.2011 23:35

Windows 8 will probably be a Windows ME version of 7. Windows 9 will be the fix, while 10 prepares for beta testing. lol

1013.9.2011 23:53

FatalAD, none of my customers have 6gigs of ram as the highest is 4gigs.

1113.9.2011 23:54

Originally posted by Dela:
There's people who don't have 3 yet. My opinion is that they should drop support for x86 processors. This will hopefully make the OS cheaper and it'll prevent people with low end processors upgrading and having their systems run slow. Apple did a good thing by dropping x86 support.

1213.9.2011 23:55

Originally posted by skeil909:
Windows 8 will probably be a Windows ME version of 7. Windows 9 will be the fix, while 10 prepares for beta testing. lol

While I sit back on my Mac for years to come and watch Windows go through 5 OS's.

1313.9.2011 23:56

Originally posted by JGJD2001:
Don't you feel accomplished.

1414.9.2011 00:21

core2kid, why do you have 3 posts in a row which is a forum rule no no?

1514.9.2011 00:23

Originally posted by ddp:
core2kid, why do you have 3 posts in a row which is a forum rule no no?
Because there's no "Quote Multiple" like most of the other forums out there.

1614.9.2011 00:25

Originally posted by core2kid:

While I sit back on my Mac for years to come and watch Windows go through 5 OS's.
You do know Mac updates as often as Windows right?

1714.9.2011 00:28

Originally posted by DVDBack23:

Not their OS and it doesn't cost an arm and leg even if they do.

1814.9.2011 00:46

Really??? Really???

2 words for ya.............."over", "kill"

1914.9.2011 00:49

core2kid, next time edit your last post as per forum rules.
12. Repeated posts to increase total number of posts is not allowed. Especially if your message is the last in the thread, edit it rather than post a new message.

2014.9.2011 00:49

Yeah........and MACs remain as unchanged, plain-jane and boring as Hell..................just like Apple's mindless, twit, unthinking, conformist users waiting to be taken to their alien creators in the sky.

don't need a flamewar so watch the comments.
Meesa sorry.

BUT...........gotta admit. That new donut shaped Apple HQ would make the perfect spaceship after collecting all the MAC-heads and bringing them to their alien master right??? :)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Sep 2011 @ 12:58

2114.9.2011 00:50

don't need a flamewar so watch the comments.

2214.9.2011 00:51

Originally posted by hearme0:

Yeah........and MACs remain as unchanged, plain-jane and boring as Hell..................just like Apple's mindless, twit, unthinking, conformist users waiting to be taken to their alien creators in the sky.
When I hit the power button, it's gonna load Mac. Not some Gay A$$ error that nobody knows the meaning to.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never support Apple straight (Bought on Ebay and fixed) but when I need a laptop every day, I'm gonna get a Mac.

core2kid, next time edit your last post as per forum rules.
12. Repeated posts to increase total number of posts is not allowed. Especially if your message is the last in the thread, edit it rather than post a new message.

Better? AD Should really think about a "Quote multiple" button.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Sep 2011 @ 12:53

2314.9.2011 01:22

I had a Pentium 4 with 4 gigs of ram 7 years ago. my phone has a gig of ram for Christ sake, lol and its dual core.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Sep 2011 @ 1:23

2414.9.2011 03:56

Originally posted by hearme0:
Really??? Really???

2 words for ya.............."over", "kill"
I guess you only use your computer for gaming. I have 12GB and I still get out of RAM sometimes.

2514.9.2011 10:33

Yeah, you actually don't need much for gaming, other than showing off how many simultaneous instances of whatever you can do. It's all about CPU's coupled with moderate RAM and awesome GPU's for gaming. But when you have several image editors open, some music playing, a couple of browsers with dozens of tabs of related content rolling, FTP's and their related HTML/CSS editors chugging, and that game you play for a four minute break, along with IRC clients, instant messengers, anti-virus, and what else have you then RAM disappears alarmingly quick (especially if that break-game is Minecraft lol).

Little pointless rant aside, I don't think I like the Metro UI at all. I'm glad to see M$ finally at least trying to reduce their needed resources when coming out with something new, and I'm sure it will be fine enough after 7. I just hope they keep in mind that people do have multiple OS's in a household and make the thing network properly out of the box so I don't have to go mucking about in the registry like I've had to do with every single 7 PC I've tried making work with XP for customers.

2614.9.2011 14:21

There's people who don't have 3 yet. My opinion is that they should drop support for x86 processors. This will hopefully make the OS cheaper and it'll prevent people with low end processors upgrading and having their systems run slow. Apple did a good thing by dropping x86 support.
I'm not sure what reality you are from, but Apple is running on Intel processors. Even the latest i7 processors are still x86 processors, x86-64. They may have droped support for 8 bit and 16 bit processors, but they do support x86. Apple doesn't have to support much of anything, they basically only sell 5 models with varying processor speeds, hard drives and memory.

I'm sure MS could make much better software if they only supported 1 notebook, 1 ultranotebook, 1 desktop, 1 all in one and 1 mini computer. Lets be realistic, MS supports almost every configuration of computer made today, apple supports what they sell now and what they sold for maybe 4 years. Ask any developer, it's a really big difference. Everyone wants to be Apple, but they can't and they all fail when they try. MS needs to go back to a more modular platform that will allow you to choose what features/options you want to install. Why do I want tablet services and drivers running on my notebook? I don't but I can't get rid of them because they are included in Windows 7. I don't remember if 95 or 98 was the last one that allowed you to not install some features, XP you could untill MS shut down the guy who was putting out the software and took the files off their download site. Installing a slimmed down version of XP made a huge difference in performance. I haven't even found a way to get Windows 7 to stop installing RAID drivers, more than 5 of them, in my notebook with no RAID adapter. We have less and less control over what windows does, that might be great for some people but when you are using your computer to do more than surf the internet all these things make a difference in performance. Apple has done the same with Itunes. From what some Apple geeks tell me, it installs support for so many devices that none of them work very well.

2714.9.2011 15:26

Originally posted by FreddyF:
I'm not sure what reality you are from, but Apple is running on Intel processors. Even the latest i7 processors are still x86 processors, x86-64. They may have droped support for 8 bit and 16 bit processors, but they do support x86. Apple doesn't have to support much of anything, they basically only sell 5 models with varying processor speeds, hard drives and memory.

I'm sure MS could make much better software if they only supported 1 notebook, 1 ultranotebook, 1 desktop, 1 all in one and 1 mini computer. Lets be realistic, MS supports almost every configuration of computer made today, apple supports what they sell now and what they sold for maybe 4 years. Ask any developer, it's a really big difference. Everyone wants to be Apple, but they can't and they all fail when they try. MS needs to go back to a more modular platform that will allow you to choose what features/options you want to install. Why do I want tablet services and drivers running on my notebook? I don't but I can't get rid of them because they are included in Windows 7. I don't remember if 95 or 98 was the last one that allowed you to not install some features, XP you could untill MS shut down the guy who was putting out the software and took the files off their download site. Installing a slimmed down version of XP made a huge difference in performance. I haven't even found a way to get Windows 7 to stop installing RAID drivers, more than 5 of them, in my notebook with no RAID adapter. We have less and less control over what windows does, that might be great for some people but when you are using your computer to do more than surf the internet all these things make a difference in performance. Apple has done the same with Itunes. From what some Apple geeks tell me, it installs support for so many devices that none of them work very well.
Drop x86 support as in don't make that OS anymore. Only make an x64 operating system.

2814.9.2011 17:17

Drop x86 support as in don't make that OS anymore. Only make an x64 operating system.
Than it should be drop 32 bit support. the 64 bit Intel processors are x86-64. They are all still based on X86 architecture, they just have instructions to handle 64 bit. If you drop x86 support you drop most of the computers made today. And Inted would have a cow because they are still making 32 bit processors.

MS makes software to run on most computers, Apple makes computers to run their software.

2914.9.2011 17:20

Originally posted by FreddyF:
MS makes software to run on most computers, Apple makes computers to run their software.
I don't know what you're talking about but I'm typing this on a Mac desktop that I built.

3015.9.2011 04:32

There's people who don't have 3 yet.

@FatalAD, everyone? You do realize the only Intel CPU that support triple channel is Intel Core i7 9XXX Series? How many average users do you know that are going to spend the money on a high end CPU? I could have opted for a socket 13666 mobo but saw no benefit.

This will hopefully make the OS cheaper and it'll prevent people with low end processors upgrading and having their systems run slow. Apple did a good thing by dropping x86 support.

I don't see this being a problem this time around. When people went from Win 98 to XP or XP to Vista, this was an issue because the OS received a major upgrade. From what I see here, despite the MetroUI, doesn't show me anything that is going to require a complete system over haul for Win 7 users. If you have a system that was built and designed with XP in mind, you may see problems, but anyone with a computer designed for Vista or 7 in mind should be fine I suspect.

Not their OS and it doesn't cost an arm and leg even if they do.

7 OsX releases since 2001
Microsoft launched Win XP in 2001 fast-forward to today, there was Vista and now 7.
Leopard was $130.
Snow Leopard was $30.
Lion was $30.
That's a $190

I can buy Win 7 for $200 and receive SP1 at no additional cost assuming I am buying for a new install. Upgrading from Vista would be cheaper. You may argue 7 was a SP to Vista, and to some extent it was, but also added a resigned task bat which is worlds better imo, and made some other UI tweaks.

Originally posted by buxtahuda:
Yeah, you actually don't need much for gaming, other than showing off how many simultaneous instances of whatever you can do. It's all about CPU's coupled with moderate RAM and awesome GPU's for gaming. But when you have several image editors open, some music playing, a couple of browsers with dozens of tabs of related content rolling, FTP's and their related HTML/CSS editors chugging, and that game you play for a four minute break, along with IRC clients, instant messengers, anti-virus, and what else have you then RAM disappears alarmingly quick (especially if that break-game is Minecraft lol).

I used to do some PC mod gaming and would have it, firefox with loads o add ons and 70 tabs or so, photoshop CS5, a 3D Model(low polly) open in zmodeler, which granted is much less of a system hog then 3DS,AutoCad,etc,mIRC with NoNameScript, uTorrent, Deluge or Transmission, not to mention monitoring tools like Core Temp and HDD Sentential running, with comodo firewall, among other various apps, and yet I have never actually hit 4GB. Will I upgrade to 8GB on this build? Maybe, it wouldn't hurt, but my next build, yes most likley will include 6 or 8GB depending on which socket I choose and if I stick with Intel or not, but this isn't the place to debate Intel vs AMD. :p

3128.10.2011 22:01

Originally posted by DVDBack23:

While I sit back on my Mac for years to come and watch Windows go through 5 OSs.
Not their OS and it doesnt cost an arm and leg even if they do.
you are right the os is not expensive, but they get you on the hardware. image mac only installs on mac (hackintosh does not count).

You can compare windows to mac all you want. but until mac allows you to install there os on any piece of hardware and then manages to keep there os stable and bug free you have no case.

Could you image how stable windows would be if it only supported a few different pieces of hardware.

I spent 800.00 to build my windows machine and to buy a mac that is comparible would have cost around 1800.00.

so yeah save all the money you want on an os that only has to run on half a dozen computers. Ok maybe 20 different pieces of hardware max.

Funny how mac lovers love to troll windows sights and add there to cents. stop trolling and give in you know you want a pc.

LOL

Ok im done.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive