1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by reswob, Sep 18, 2011.

1. reswob

reswob Regular member

can anyone please tell me whats the longest lenght of ethernet cable that can be used between modem and dm500,before siginal becomes to week.i know about home plugs,cheers

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

I have seen em over 25 feet in length and more from a PC to say a server or a patch room,

3. darn24p

darn24p Regular member

im using a 20m cable from hub to starview hd combo up stairs and works fine

4. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

use 25metre. no issue

5. reswob

reswob Regular member

i thankyou all.

6. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

hi all,
    can ethernet cable run down the outside of a house bare or would would it be better to insulate it ?
    cheers!

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

web search it or start your own thread

unsubbed

8. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

hi scorpnz
    i did web search it and funnily enough i got my answer on a forum site similar to this one !isn't this the whole point of "joining a forum" also i used this thread to try and keep information about the same subject in the one thread didn't think that would be frowned upon
    cheers!

9. reswob

reswob Regular member

atghawkin,i dont think you were out of order useing this thread to look for the information you required.i would presume the cable would need to be insulated.

10. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

thanks reswob
    I have sky and upc cable outside i was thinking that they could be designed for outside use but you don't see or hear of many houses with outdoor ethernet cable so didn't know if it was designed for cold weather
    cheers!

11. reswob

reswob Regular member

atghawkin.your welcome.your question is not something i have come across before.i hope people will benefit from this information,cheers.

12. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

I think this will shed a bit more light !

With their thin plastic casing, ordinary Ethernet cables will deteriorate quickly when exposed to the elements. For best results, outdoor Ethernet cables should be placed in a conduit and then buried under the ground about 15-20cm (6-8 inches) and at least that far away from power lines or other sources of electrical interference. PVC or other plastic pipe, installed with waterproofing, can work as a conduit. Ordinary CAT5 cable was not designed for outdoor uses, however; extreme temperatures and humidity will shorten the useful lifetime of such an outdoor network.

Preferably, special exterior or direct burial CAT5 cables should be used for outdoor runs instead of ordinary CAT5. Direct burial CAT5 costs more, but it is designed specifically for outdoor use. Exterior-grade Ethernet cables are waterproof and thus do not require conduit.
    Both ordinary and direct burial CAT5 cables attract lighting strikes to some degree. Simply burying a cable underground does not lessen its affinity for lightning. Accordinly, CAT5 surge protectors should be installed as part of outdoor Ethernet networks to guard against lightning strikes.
    A single Ethernet cable, whether indoor or outdoor, is only designed to function over a distance of about 100m (328 feet). Some networks operate successfully with Ethernet cables run 200m or more. When extended past the recommended limit of 100m, Ethernet reliability and performance may suffer, and results can vary from one cable to the next. Active hubs or other repeater devices can be installed with a series of CAT5 cables to greatly extend the range of an Ethernet outdoor network.