AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft Zune goes bye bye

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Oct 2011 4:23 User comments (7)

Microsoft Zune goes bye bye Microsoft has announced today that it will shut down its Zune line of media devices.
Reads the support post:

We recently announced that, going forward, Windows Phone will be the focus of our mobile music and video strategy, and that we will no longer be producing Zune players. So what does this mean for our current Zune users? Absolutely nothing. Your device will continue to work with Zune services just as it does today. And we will continue to honor the warranties of all devices for both current owners and those who buy our very last devices. Customer service has been, and will remain a top priority for us.

Software will continue to be updated, as well as apps, but no more hardware will be sold.

Despite being critically praised, the Zune was too little too late, especially being launched 5 years after the first iPod.

Tags: asf
Previous Next  

7 user comments

14.10.2011 17:40

i guess I'm the only one that actually liked the Zune. the Zune was not defeated by the iPod it was defeated by the shear magnitude of all in one smartphones. even the iPod is having trouble competing with apples own line up of iPhone's.

24.10.2011 18:17

I also am a fan of Zune. Still own a Zune80. And when the thing's lifespan eventually ends, I hope to continue Zune support through Windows Phone. :)

34.10.2011 23:45

That video was priceless.

If Zune had come out in time it would have been great...but the fact is that most people just don't have more than 32GB of MP3s that they want to carry with them everywhere, and most people with the funds for a Zune have a smart phone with support for a 32GB card, so the market for it is extremely limited...and shared with Apple, Creative, and a few other companies.

I honestly don't think Microsoft had a business plan for this device...I think they just thought, "The iPod has been selling well for 5 years, we could make something like that"

45.10.2011 09:39

Originally posted by KillerBug:
That video was priceless.

If Zune had come out in time it would have been great...but the fact is that most people just don't have more than 32GB of MP3s that they want to carry with them everywhere, and most people with the funds for a Zune have a smart phone with support for a 32GB card, so the market for it is extremely limited...and shared with Apple, Creative, and a few other companies.

I honestly don't think Microsoft had a business plan for this device...I think they just thought, "The iPod has been selling well for 5 years, we could make something like that"
That does seem to be about it. They just wanted to compete in areas other than PC's I think; I don't remember, was the XBox already out when we got the Zune?

I always liked the ideas and looks of the Zunes, and was really wanting one when they were having a clearance on the 80 models a while back. However, being young and hoping for it as a gift, I didn't get it; my brother has one which we never use because of our phones, but as soon as he has an appropriate player in his truck I think we'll load it up and keep it strictly for the vehicle.

I've never seen its apps or played with it for more than fifteen minutes, but it always seemed like such a better deal than the "i" line of mp3 players without feeling utterly cheap like all the Creative and Phillips products I've seen. It will be missed; I'm curious in Windows Phone devices, not as a replacement for my Android, but just because I'm wanting to see 8 and its supposed feature of encompassing all your windows devices into one seamless experience. I don't think I'll ever abandon Android unless development comes to a complete halt; something I don't see happening.

57.10.2011 18:25

The iPod kill :-) I suppose we can expect the same fate for the Windows Phone. Too little, too late.

67.10.2011 18:29

I just told my wife that MS ended production of the ZUNE.
She asked: "What's a ZUNE?"
My answer: "That's the problem."

710.10.2011 10:38

@ robertmro - haha! Yeah. Friend got one about a year ago. As he was showing it off I wandered in the back of my head "Why would anyone get a Zune?".

I remember watching that. It was about a minute before I changed the channel.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive