1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best factory built computers

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JSRife, Jun 24, 2004.

1. JSRife

JSRife Guest

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

i may get some stick here but i think none build yer own its alot better for half the price
    but thats just my view.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

WTF is with these goddamn one-word posts??!!! If you're gonna make a post make it a useful and effective one.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Not to mention HP sucks pants :)

5. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

i agree with kcc76.

The worse 2 comptuers to work with are HP's and Compaq's. Get a lot of different brand comptuers in at work and the one's built by the people themselves or small comptuer shops are eaiser to work with.

When a HP comes it, it usually gets put a side when there is more time, as they usually ahve more of a problem.

I have been building comptuers since the 486 Years and havnt had a problem since.

Also with 'Home Built' comptuers, u put what you want in it for around half the price.

Regards
    CoZZa

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Also with factory built/ store bought systems you are somewhat limited as to how much and what you can up-grade. They want you to buy a new system every couple of years. Computer kits give you more options for up-grades for almost everything in there.

Jerry

7. Praetor

Doesnt HP own Compaq now? :)

8. JSRife

JSRife Guest

As far as I know you can upgrade any computer. As long as it's not old and outdated to badly. If it's a new or newer computer why couldn't you upgrade it? Not all factory computers come with crappy mother Boards. Some do come with crappy mother boards though. And when building a computer you can actually buy crappy mother boards seperate sure of that. Yes HP now owns Compaq...Alot of People consider HP crap, but it's funny how Compaq use to really stink until HP owns them. As far as HP sucking, I highly doubt that...I work at a Verizon Data center and they have Millions and millions of dollars worth of HP servers, Mainframes, Desktops, Notebooks, Compaq servers, just about everything in the building has HP or Compaqs name on it except for a few new Dell servers we just purchased. We got like 2 Dell Servers, and an ungodly amount of HP servers and everything else. If they were so sucky a buiness like Verizon wouldn't have them. I believe HP is the second biggest computer company in the world , number 1 would be Dell....I see HP surpassing them in the next year or two though.

9. Praetor

Try and upgrade a Mac.

Because the custom bios's may not recognize the newer stuff.

True however virtually all of them come with consumer-perspectively crappy bios's

Dunno if you realize there is a distinction between server systems and regular home destops (remiscient of the "any video card will work") .... HP does make amoung the best servers out there -- and given that this is a corporate environment, odds are Verizon has a contract with HP.

Again I really really dont see how you could possibly not realize that not every single HP/Compaq machine out there are like those performance business machines! Do you honest-to-god think that those HP systems there can go toe to toe with a gaming rig in a UT2004 game?? -- sure them HP systems will rock Alienware's systems to crap when it comes to transactions/sec or something like that but the majority of people (and HP computer models) are not dedicated to high intensity business type applications -- and thus, for home users -- suck ass.

Seriously - think about it! These corporate desktops cost a fortune (say $2500 per machine even though its prolly closer to $3500) and are good for two things (1) stability and (2) business type applications -- now for the average Joe who has $2500 -- he can build a much more useful and thus better system that, for the applications that 99% of the people use, will outperfrom these HP towers companies use.

IBM? Dunno... just spitballing.

10. Nephilim

HP still sucks pants.

As far as the huge home PC vendors are concerned my vote would go with Dell. They give you a surprising amount of options when customizing your rig on their website and they are more forgiving of upgrades when you decide to pep it up a bit later on.

If you include the smaller boutique vendors as factory then it's hard to do better than the likes of Alienware, Voodoo PC or Velocity Micro. All three build quality systems that are seriously fast, easily upgradable and you get more personalized and knowledgable tech support.

Having said all that I don't think it gets any better than building your own!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  11. Praetor

Someone forgot Falcon Northwest :p

Well... maybe the ALX might be a tad better :p

12. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I don't think there HP systems can run those games I agree Not at Verizon, totally different computers that do different things(Never doubted that). I am just talking overall quality of the company isn't pure shit like everyone wants them to be. Yes Verizon has a contract with HP, and you're probably right those HP servers and workstations are probably the best you can get, tells me most likely all of there home computers aren't going to be shit, if you buy a budget computer from HP, DELL, GATEWAY and so on, of course their not going to be top notch, and to computer geeks they will be considered shit. Anyway..When you build your own computer, how many different name brands are on the machine....Get a Toshiba DVD writer, such and such brand Mother board, different brands of memory , and so on. Kinda bold to just say flat out HP sucks....People will say "HP computers suck , but they make one hell of a DVD writer, or the best Printers"...What about an HP computer is any different different than a Dell for example? Is the Dell really better? how do we define better? I didn't get a Dell because they wanted the same price for their budget machine as my HP, but Dell didn't have a CD-RW the HP did. I bet both computers are based on the same quality, just one didn't have the CD-RW. Dell tend to bend you over once in awhile. At my job I even saw an HP guy working on a Dell Server...Ha ha go figure

13. Nephilim

You're talking opposite ends of the price spectrum. They don't put the same high end components in the home desktops and decide to charge a quarter of the price just for the hell of it.

14. Praetor

Best printers I will agree -- best DVD writers? Not a chance -- they barely got their act together for CD burners.

Thats why I, unlike a lot of people, try to justify myself when I make statements -- especially when they are flatout like that. HP does suck -- but only because of the performance/cost ratio -- that's it.

Completely different BIOS -- Dell, while still crippled as hell, has a more flexible bios.

In general yes. If you consider the flagship desktop tower, Dell wins hands down. If you consider the midrange tower, Dell wins (not so clearly though) and with the low-end systems, Dell and HP are about even -- then again, low-end is low-end universally, brandname-notwithstanding

Geez this reminds me of your post about video cards..... better can be interpreted as two ways (1) a higher performance-cost ratio can be considered better as well as (2) best performance where price isnt a concern. You seem to get tripped up between comparing these two types of "better" ... when you pick definition (2), it's quite apparent HP is nowhere near the top since their flagship towers arent that fancy and even when you consider the more 'reasonable' towers (i.e., definition (1)), HP isnt the greatest either because, like all OEMs, they have some serious overcharging.

Again... memories of the "video cards"...... :|

15. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Processor: one or two Intel® Itanium® 2 processors: 1.5GHz with 6MB cache, or 1.3GHz with 1.5MB on-chip L3 cache, for 64-bit processing performance and capacity

Operating Systems: choice of Microsoft® Windows® XP 64-Bit Edition, HP-UX 11i v2.0, or Red Hat Linux® Advanced Workstation Version 2.1, to support your applications

Chipset: HP Chipset zx1 with 6.4GB/sec of system bus bandwidth; 78ns open page memory latency; and AGP graphics - maximizes the performance of the Intel Itanium 2 processor

Memory: maximum of 24GB of DDR SDRAM accommodates large CAD models and designs

Storage: maximum of 438GB Ultra320 SCSI storage for fast access to files and applications

Dimensions (HxWxD): Deskside tower - 49.5 × 29.7 × 67.3 cm (19.5 x 11.7 x 26.5 in.) or Rack configuration - 8.6 × 48.3 × 68.1 cm (3.4 x 19.0 x 26.8 in.)

Graphics: ATI® RADEON(TM) 7000, NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL, ATI® FireGL Z1-128p, or ATI® FireGL X1-256p to fit your design requirements from professional 2D to high-end 3D

Manageability: redundant hot-plug fans (tower only); redundant power supplies; hot-plug disks; remote management features

Flexibility: deploy as a node in a graphics cluster, then redeploy later as a deskside graphics workstation

Warranty: One year parts, labor and on-site service, with HP Care Pack upgrades available

16. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Im talking from a Technician Prospective. Having hundreds and hundreds of customers comptuers worked with at work as well as in my own time and HP are one of the worse to work with.

Yes HP Printers are the best, all my printers here are HP, as for their comptuers......

This is becoming a defend HP Thread, are you sure u dont work for HP JSRife ??? lol

Regards
    CoZZa

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2004
  17. JSRife

JSRife Guest

HP has become its own best advertisement. It ate its own cooking in improving its operating efficiency, and that's like a walking billboard as it approaches some of IBM's customers to sell them on the tangible benefits of going with HP services. Dell may be a darn good one-trick pony, but HP is becoming an impressive horse stable. The upside, in every possible sense of the word, belongs to HP.

18. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Ok, not meaning 2 pick a fight, but have you tried various different branded comptuers, not just HP's ?

Regards
    CoZZa

19. JSRife

JSRife Guest

But there's more. While Dell has always been the market's teacher's pet, the truth is that HP has left the classroom. It graduated. It has moved on to the next level, where being a diversified provider of higher margin information technology products and services falls more into the IBM (NYSE: IBM) camp than the box farmers in the Dell.

20. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I like my dell :)

First thing I did when I got it, did a clean install. Took out all the crap dell put in, and put only the programs I wanted.

And one more thing, my sister-in-law had an HP and it SUCKED!!! I like HP printers though.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004