AfterDawn: Tech news

Amiga launches $98 tablet

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 08 Nov 2011 3:15 User comments (10)

Amiga launches $98 tablet Amiga, the high-end computer company from the 1980s, is back, this time with a low-end tablet.
The Amiga Xperdio 7MTB is a 7-inch multi-touch tablet running on Android 2.2.

Under the hood is a VIA Technologies WM8650 ARM chip at 720MHz, 256MB LPDDR2 memory, 4GB internal storage and a microSD slot.

To keep the price under $100, the touch screen is resistive two-point.

Additionally, a bundled version (with USB keyboard and protective case) sells for $118.

If you are willing to spend more money, the Xpedio 7 MT for $189 jumps to an ARM Cortex-A8 processor ticking at 1GHz, 512MB LPDDR2 memory and 8GB storage. The screen is capacitive.

Delivery starts on Christmas.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

18.11.2011 15:50

Checkmate, Commodore takes down Amazon.

28.11.2011 16:02

Originally posted by jookycola:
Checkmate, Commodore takes down Amazon.
Lol, things that will never happen. This tablet is junk.

38.11.2011 16:52

Very disappointing not worth $50, there are other companies selling better junk online for less $

48.11.2011 18:00

That's what I was going to say. My Sister found some kind of Tablet online for $75 Running Android.
I can't imagine the specs are worse than this thing.

58.11.2011 18:00

Commodore died after the A1200, A4000 and 4000T. The brand, "Amiga" has been through a million hands since then. People just won't let it die a peaceful death.

Jeff

69.11.2011 14:12

I want depth gadgets on my windows again!

Seriously, two things I really, really miss from AmigaOS are the ability to snapshot window and icon positions, and depth gadgets on windows so the active window can be behind other windows.

And the Use button. It was great to hit Use and have whatever settings I changed stay active until I closed the program, and then reverted to presets on the next launch.

Good times those were.

710.11.2011 18:19

Originally posted by Clam_Up:
I want depth gadgets on my windows again!

Seriously, two things I really, really miss from AmigaOS are the ability to snapshot window and icon positions, and depth gadgets on windows so the active window can be behind other windows.

And the Use button. It was great to hit Use and have whatever settings I changed stay active until I closed the program, and then reverted to presets on the next launch.

Good times those were.
agreed some of the best days ever! i miss ram drive native without and tinkering in windows to make one! i remember puting full dmz'ed files in and extracting them in there own folder then running any apps from ram blistering speeds! ahead of there time for sure! there wasn't any real danger cause if stuff went bad just turn off the amiga and the data was gone! boom sooo cool!

DJ

810.11.2011 19:03

If only the B2000 had 32 bit slots and 32 bit video slot... That would of been very cool.

The GVP '040 board barely fit inside the case of the A3000 because of the PS, HD shitty piece of aluminum sat right on top of it. Also not enough expansion slots.

Had an A4000 and A1200 but it was too late. I refused to shell out 3k for a 4000T with zero software developers.

Remember Lightwave? The PC had a black box version that was just really an Amiga plugged into the Parallel port.
Those days are surely missed.

At one point I had a 386 Bridgeboard with a stupid Cyrix 486SX, 387 Co-processor, SVGA vid card that ran Windows 3.1 faster then a PC with a 486DX. Full mouse support... Of course I overclocked the Cyrix using several four pin crystal oscillators until it wouldn't boot the backed it down a few MHz. Haha!

Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Nov 2011 @ 7:27

911.11.2011 09:26

Multi-CPU Amiga "Screamers" are STILL reasonably common in high-end video editing/sequencing.

Video toasters for all! lol

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Nov 2011 @ 9:27

1011.11.2011 10:01

"Multi-CPU Amiga "Screamers" are STILL reasonably common in high-end video editing/sequencing.

Video toasters for all! lol"

Loving it!
Used to attend the annual Amiga world @ the Moscone Center in S.F. The Video Toaster girl was always there (Forgot her name). She was reason alone to show up for the event.

What is now Comcast Cable used to use Amiga's for their menus and such. How do I know this? Because like every good Amiga the TV screen would show up from time to time with a Guru Meditation error (BSOD for PC people).
Memory lane....

Jeff

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive