1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc Analysis Failed

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Helpful1, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

I'm in the process of backing up a DVD and after encoding it, DVD-shrink spit out my blank dvd and read "Disc analysis failed, see the error log for more details".

Where's the error log? I checked Shrink's host folder and tried a new blank dvd with the same result.

Right now I'm updating my Shrink version to 317 and am about to re-encode the movie while i hit the bed for the night. If anyone has come across this problem before, some insight would be helpful.

I did a google on the error message but all i found was some site that wants me to pay to find the answer (BOO!)

2. S-Y-K-E-S

S-Y-K-E-S Guest

Bro ... r u trying to analize an already burned copy of your source?
    That happens to me if the source is a shitty quality DVD-R

3. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Nope, source is original and encoded fine.
    However, i cant burn anything from my hard drive.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

What program are you using to burn?

5. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

DVDShrink with Full Nero 5.5.10.15

I put in 3 different FujiFilm DVD-R discs and they all popped back out.

Disc's are apart of a 100 pack and the first 20 discs were all fine.

6. flip218

I've got Nero 6, and have had poor luck using Nero Burning ROM ... so I use Nero Express (works everytime).

Have you tried using DVD Decrypter? Using the combination of Shrink and Decrypter. Shrink to rip and compress (create an ISO), then burn with Decrypter. The only thing is you have to have a pc with NTFS file system since the ISO's created are over 4GB's... and decrypter will only burn ISO's.

7. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

NTFS? No problem! I've had that file system for a few years.

Now i have to re-rip everything :(
    Guess I give that a shot. Will post my results afterwards.
    :edit:
    Hey, cool. I selected target device as an ISO image and it popped up a checkmark "burn with dvd decrypter"
    DVDshrink rocks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2004
  8. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Decrypter loaded and when i stuck me 'blank' in i got an error.
    tried a second disc, error.

Then it read something about DMA so i went into device manager and changed my secondary ide device 1 from dma to pio only.

Burning! Thanks flip!

btw, whats the main diff between dma and pio mode?

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Was it set to Ultra DMA Mode 2 before you changed it to PIO? I ask, because your read times in PIO mode will be considerably longer than in Ultra DMA Mode 2.

If it was Ultra DMA Mode 2 before, I would try changing it back, reboot, and see if you can still burn.

10. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

It was ultra DMA mode 2, but under that I couldnt burn anything. It all encoded fine but when it came time to start the burner drive, i got disc read/write errors.

Nero couldn't even scan the medium to see how much space was on it (all discs were blank to begin with)

Setting it to PIO mode got the job done, all be it more slowly.

Windows XP, 1.8ghz PIV, 1.5GB of ram, two 120GB WD 8MB HDDs, 16X DVD-rom on secondary IDE 0 and Sony DRU-500A (firmware G) on secondary IDE 1.
    I know i need an upgrade, but i'm waiting for PCI express. Hopefully VIA can offer the AGP with PCI Express for video soon.

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Helpful 1, switch your DVD burner to master and your DVD ROM to slave on that Secondary IDE Controller, and then try burning when both are set to Ultra DMA Mode 2.

Also, what media are you using to burn?

One other thing, download Nero 6 Ultra demo, and see if that works better for you.

12. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Media is fujifilm 4x DVD-R. Most compatible media with my standalone DVD players and it's always worked fine before.

A second movie in in process of being encoded So i'll do the rom drive switch-around on next reboot.

13. flip218

Helpful1,

Backing up movies really works your pc... so it's highly recommended that you run no other programs(even internet). Also what error messages were you getting?

14. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

For DVDshrink, after the encoding process ended and the burning process started, a screen popped up that said "Disc Analysis Failed" And the bottom showed an indicator bar that read "Checking medium".

When i re-encoded as an ISO image and put the disc in for DVD Decrypter, the error on Ultra DMA mode 2 popped up which caused me to switch to PIO mode for the time being.

I'll replicate the error message on another disc so you can have the exact wording. It all encodes fine but in the dma mode it just wont burn.

15. flip218

Helpful1,

I think a "medium error" has to do with your media. Have you tried different media? I like using Verbatim 2.4x +R's.

Also that's odd about dma. You want DMA. Can you post your system specs? Also do what GrandpaBW said ... make your burner your master drive and your dvd-rom your slave(AND DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE JUMPER SETTINGS).

16. S-Y-K-E-S

S-Y-K-E-S Guest

i like grandpas theory but maybe you dvd is scratched or you left it around a strong magnetic force?

17. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

UDMA mode 2 error with dvd shrink
    "Disc analysis failed. the error log contains more information about the reason why it failed"
    does not tell me 'where' the log is.
    "Invalid track info, invalid field info" repeated

nero burning rom error - same as dvd shrink.
    "Invalid field in command. Invalid track info"

dvd decrypter
    "I/O Error!
    Device:[1:1:0] Sony dvd rw dru-500a 1.0g (G:)
    SsciStatus 0X02
    Interpretation: Check condition

CDB: 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation Read capacity

Sense area 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Logical unit communication CRC error (Ultra DMA /32)

And that concludes the error messages.
    specs:
    Windows XP, 1.8ghz PIV, 1.5GB of ram, two 120GB WD 8MB HDDs, 16X DVD-rom on secondary IDE 0 and Sony DRU-500A (firmware G) on secondary IDE 1.

I havent switched the drives around yet because i have a LOT of stuff hooked up and no drive rails, i.e. unplugging everything so i can pop off both sides of the case and unscrew the drives.