AfterDawn: Tech news

1st generation iPod Nano gets recalled

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 12 Nov 2011 7:56 User comments (23)

1st generation iPod Nano gets recalled Apple has announced this week that it is recalling its first generation iPad Nano in the U.S.
The devices, which launched in September 2005, apparently have a rare overheating issue.

Apple is telling users to stop using their devices immediately and the company will replace them for free.

Battery overheating issues on the 1G iPod Nano is not a new issue, and the replacement program is expanding to add the U.S. It is currently available in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Reads the post:

Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Note: This battery issue is specific to the iPod nano (1st gen) and does not affect any other iPod.

Replacement Process
You may order a replacement unit via the web. Click here to begin.

Your iPod nano serial number will be checked to verify that it is eligible for this program. You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen).

If you have a personalized iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalized replacement. Make sure to use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.

Previous Next  

23 user comments

113.11.2011 08:19

Apple is amazing, supporting these iPods that are what - 6 years old!

213.11.2011 08:32

Do we get a new ipod nano? Or another 1gen? I can't imagine they have enough 1gen nano's laying around to replace all the recalls.

313.11.2011 08:54

Originally posted by kadya:

Amazing...I guess that is one way of describing the fact that they have waited this long to do the recall in the US...having been available long ago in 19 other countries.

I guess they figured that by now most owners have thrown away these devices because of the defective, non-replaceable batteries, so the recall shouldn't cost them much.

413.11.2011 10:14

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by kadya:

Amazing...I guess that is one way of describing the fact that they have waited this long to do the recall in the US...having been available long ago in 19 other countries.

I guess they figured that by now most owners have thrown away these devices because of the defective, non-replaceable batteries, so the recall shouldn't cost them much.
lol not to mention the only reason they are probably doing this is because of the possibility of bodily injury. If it were any other type of defect, they would insist you were holding it wrong.

513.11.2011 11:25

They'll replace the 1st gen? Really...? The thing is so grossly out of warranty I don't see anyone even having one of these taking up space in a drawer anymore. I don't even think the guys down at the pawn shop have these things because of the age. Even if they did I think they gave it away to a bum who bought a rusty old space heater for $20. Wouldn't the battery give out on this thing by now anyway? Hell, car batteries aren't guaranteed to last but for this long. Not that a recall isn't nice, but fat lot of good it does if somebodies leg got rotted off or whatever...

613.11.2011 13:23

Originally posted by LordRuss:
They'll replace the 1st gen? Really...? The thing is so grossly out of warranty I don't see anyone even having one of these taking up space in a drawer anymore. I don't even think the guys down at the pawn shop have these things because of the age. Even if they did I think they gave it away to a bum who bought a rusty old space heater for $20. Wouldn't the battery give out on this thing by now anyway? Hell, car batteries aren't guaranteed to last but for this long. Not that a recall isn't nice, but fat lot of good it does if somebodies leg got rotted off or whatever...
I got 4 of them, all with dead batteries. I didn't throw them out because I had a slight feeling that there'd be a recall on it. Come on, a battery lasting less than 1 year and making the metal back red hot during charging, that's real safe.

713.11.2011 16:19

Originally posted by core2kid:
I got 4 of them, all with dead batteries. I didn't throw them out because I had a slight feeling that there'd be a recall on it. Come on, a battery lasting less than 1 year and making the metal back red hot during charging, that's real safe.
Kinda what I figured. That was both wishful/smart thinking on your behalf there. Hope you get a new one.

813.11.2011 16:24

Kinda what I figured. That was both wishful/smart thinking on your behalf there. Hope you get a new one.
Hope so too. I'll keep you updated.

914.11.2011 08:31

Very smart...I mean the keeping them part, not the "Buying 3 more after the first one was crap" part.

1014.11.2011 12:32

I've got 1 ^.^ going to try lol I'll get back as well. It actually still works, never had an overheating problem out of it. In fact, it is the only Apple product I've ever "owned" (I never buy these things, people end up giving them to me thinking they're broke when they're frozen up or just running like an Apple product is made to) that has not broken after half a year's use.

But how epic if I could get a new one and sell it, my phone is so much more of a music player lol

1114.11.2011 15:30

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Very smart...I mean the keeping them part, not the "Buying 3 more after the first one was crap" part.
Spent $20 on each except the first one cost $100. All 4GB. Never in my life have I given Apple a cent and I never will. Buy from friends when the next gen comes out.

1214.11.2011 16:13
1314.11.2011 16:16

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Sorry guys looking for free upgrades:
Apple will replace defective 1st gen iPod Nano with same model

I knew that, who thought they were getting new model iPods?

1414.11.2011 16:31

Aye, but it would still be "new" wouldn't it? Old, but not refurbished right?

1514.11.2011 17:06

Originally posted by buxtahuda:

Aye, but it would still be "new" wouldn't it? Old, but not refurbished right?
Probably refurbished. They're probably just replacing the batteries and sending them back. You probably won't get the same one back though.

1615.11.2011 14:07

Of course they would only give the exact same model back... anyone thinking otherwise of Apple would have to be snorting ground silicon. Probably refurbs as well... Nothing new about the old models whatsoever.

1719.11.2011 16:54

New Apple Ipod NANO recall,

1829.12.2011 13:56

Update for you guys. I sent out 4 of my 1st gen iPod Nanos. Got 1 of my 4 back today, it's replaced with a brand new (or refurbished but with no scratches) 8GB iPod Nano 6th Gen. I don't remember the size I sent out but it was either a 2GB or 4GB. Nice upgrade here.

1929.12.2011 14:53

Nice upgrade here.
If indeed it's an upgrade from the original, then congrats! Maybe CrApple is turning over a new leaf since the passing of the flounding farther.

So far you got that's 25% return on your devices though, I hope they didn't look at those as 4 - 2 gig devices...

2029.12.2011 14:57

Haha. Well 2 are still in transit to them so they only received one. 2 of the 4 I sent out were broken. One had a battery replacement attempt that went bad and the second worked fine but had a bad click wheel connector on the mainboard. I'm gonna miss my 1st gen though, I really don't like the 6th Gen. I know for a fact that my dad is going to hate it.

2129.12.2011 16:43

Just read the sheet I received and it says:

Quote:

Dear Apple Customer:

Thank you for participating in the iPod nano (1st generation) Replacement Program. Please find your replacement iPod enclosed.

Serial Number
Please note that your replacement iPod has a serial number different to that of your original iPod nano. In some cases due to limited availability of replacement stock of the iPod nano (1st generation) Apple may have replaced your iPod with a more recent iPod model of equivalent or better specification. Always retain a record of your serial number(s) for future reference.

Warranty
Your replacement iPod product is warranted to be free from defects for 90 days from the date of service.

To ensure that your iPod software is up to date, download the latest iTunes from Apple's website at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download. Questions regarding the operation of your iPod can be answered at Apple's online support site at http://www.apple.com/support/ipod.

Sincerely,

AppleCare Service

So it was probably just a matter of luck that I received this iPod. I bet the ones I send out will be refurbished and sent back as replacements to others.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Dec 2011 @ 4:45

2230.12.2011 14:11

Well, 90 days... Better use that puppy up before it self implodes.

Wait for the Mission Impossible theme to cue up...

2330.12.2011 14:15

Lol. I personally preferred my 1st gen Nano. I liked those the best but whatever, that's about $400 worth of iPods I can sell.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive