AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Apple will replace defective 1st gen iPod Nano with same model

news article released on:

This weekend we reported that Apple was recalling its 1st generation iPod Nano music players in the U.S. and sending all those affected replacements. It was unclear, however, if users would be sent the same model (which launched in 2005) or a new media player, which is now in its 6th iteration. Today, Apple has made it clear that they will be shipping out the same model (1st Gen) and ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 8 messages.

Where is Apple going to get all of these 1st generation iPod Nanos to send out as replacements? I doubt that they have a warehouse full of either new or refurbished 5 year old devices.

I have a 1st generation Nano that is still in very good condition. I don't use it much. I have been approved to send the unit back for replacement. It would be a shame to get some refurbished thing that was covered in scratches. I was kinda hoping that Apple would send me a newer model.
▼▼ This topic has 7 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by aw2600:
Where is Apple going to get all of these 1st generation iPod Nanos to send out as replacements? I doubt that they have a warehouse full of either new or refurbished 5 year old devices.

I have a 1st generation Nano that is still in very good condition. I don't use it much. I have been approved to send the unit back for replacement. It would be a shame to get some refurbished thing that was covered in scratches. I was kinda hoping that Apple would send me a newer model.
This is my concern as well. If I'm just going to get a refurbished, used device of the exact same model, why ship it in? And how is sending out tons of the SAME (freaking seven-year-old) model going to help with design negligence? Won't these just also have the propensity to overheat?

~*Livin' Electronicallly*~
mumbles21 Unverified new user
Ummmm....

*where* exactly are we getting this info? Nothing in the article alludes to Apple sending back 1st gen Nanos. If you are going to say something definitive like "Today, Apple has made it clear that they will be shipping out the same model", at the very least provide a link or footnote to back up the statement. I havent found anything confirming that, on Apples site or otherwise, but Id be interested in seeing it, if it exists.
Originally posted by mumbles21:
Ummmm....

*where* exactly are we getting this info? Nothing in the article alludes to Apple sending back 1st gen Nanos. If you are going to say something definitive like "Today, Apple has made it clear that they will be shipping out the same model", at the very least provide a link or footnote to back up the statement. I havent found anything confirming that, on Apples site or otherwise, but Id be interested in seeing it, if it exists.
ummmm...I spoke with Apple customer support who told me, but if you don't take my word for it, here is another source: http://mashable.com/2011/11/13/ipod-nano-replacements/

Originally posted by buxtahuda:

This is my concern as well. If I'm just going to get a refurbished, used device of the exact same model, why ship it in? And how is sending out tons of the SAME (freaking seven-year-old) model going to help with design negligence? Won't these just also have the propensity to overheat?
From what I understand from the last article, only a certain supply of the devices were at risk. Batteries supplied by a specific vendor so I'm sure they won't be sending any devices that were built with that supplier's batteries.

Originally posted by Tazer247:
Originally posted by buxtahuda:

From what I understand from the last article, only a certain supply of the devices were at risk. Batteries supplied by a specific vendor so I'm sure they won't be sending any devices that were built with that supplier's batteries.

They will probably use batteries from the iPhone4S supplier that provided the worthless batteries found in those.

sfsefseff Unverified new user
I cant find my ipod either see if u can get a replacement without giving it in although that might not work i handed mine in and got a new one within two months it only took 7 weeks to get a new one i was lucky
afaefseff Unverified new user
i mean i wrote the one above this i couldnt find mine but after a while i found it i handed it in 3 months ago
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.