1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

export problems

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by leefish, Jun 27, 2004.

1. leefish

leefish Member

i have already tried this in another section but not getting any answers...when i try to export the timeline in premier 6 to make an avi file the pc stops at the same place every time with 5 mins left to go.110 frames . or 3.99 gb.it always worked before .is this a windows prob or premier . athlon 1.1. 512 ram. 60 gig hd . 3 way partition.thankyou

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

It looks like you are using a Hard Disk Drive with a FAT 32 file system which has a 4GB file size limit. If it worked before it was probably with files smaller than what you are currently trying.

Windows XP/2000/NT can use NTFS, FAT 32 or FAT file systems.
    Windows 98/ME can only use FAT 32 or FAT file systems.
    If you are using Windows 98/ME you will need to make smaller files or upgrade to a version of Windows that can use NTFS.

Versions of Windows that can use NTFS have a built in converter or you can use Partition Magic.

One of the biggest problems when people make a upgrade from Win98/ME to WinXP/2000 is they skip the part at the beginning where there is the option to convert their drives from FAT or FAT32 to NTFS before installing WinXP/2000.

NTFS file system is what you should be using on XP.
    The only reason to continue to use a FAT or FAT32 file system is if you are also running another OS like Win98-ME or Linux on that computer.

Even after installing WinXP/2000 you can convert your FAT or FAT 32 drives to NTFS.
    Open Help and Support and search for Convert NTFS to get complete directions.
    Example:
    Click Start - Run and type.
    Convert C: /FS:NTFS

Before you make the conversion to NTFS.
    It is a good idea to both defragment the drive and run a error check fixing both file system errors and recovery of bad sectors.
    Right click on your drive and select Properties and these options are on the Tools tab.

3. leefish

leefish Member

thanks veblin for your reply and i think you could be right. im not very good with these things but am willing to try..i had ntfs on this pc before then a guy partitioned my drive . he put xp on both parts and left the third part for data. one is for video only other for internet etc, but is now fat 32.he thought with the two os on the same drive only fat32 would work power quest partition magic is installed on this pc but probley would need help to use it.. thanks again for your reply.leefish

4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

If the only OS you have on the computer is XP then any or all the partitions can be converted to NTFS.
    If there is a second OS like Windows 98 or Linux you still convert one data partition to NTFS but those other OS's will not be able to use that partition.

5. leefish

leefish Member

yes i have two os on the same drive both are xp and then a third partition just for data.i only have the one hd split 3 ways the two xp os are exactly the same from the same disc. leefish

6. leefish

leefish Member

sorted.thanks again veblin you were spot on, already had partition magic installed so not being very sure of what i was doing took a chance and bingo it worked . changed my files from fat32 to ntfs , went back to premier exported time line not a bother. so if anyone else out there wants help with premier im your man he he he. thanks again leefish.