AfterDawn: Tech news

Apple HDTV to be built by Sharp?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 23 Nov 2011 3:24 User comments (5)

Apple HDTV to be built by Sharp? According to analyst firm Jefferies & Co., Apple will use Sharp to create its rumored HDTV.
The TV could be introduced as early as the Q2 2012, says the firm, and will be a huge win for the manufacturer.

Says analyst Peter Misek (via BW):

It's a huge deal for Sharp because they spent significant amounts of capital to try and expand capacity and upgrade their facilities. It gives Apple a partner that they can control manufacturing and secure supply at a lower price.

Misek calls the upcoming a device "iTV."

Apple has reportedly purchased up to $1 billion in manufacturing equipment and taken over a full Sharp facility for iOS devices.

Tags: Apple Sharp ITV
Previous Next  

5 user comments

123.11.2011 23:11

I was at bestbuy yesterday looking around...every last sharp TV looked like crap.

224.11.2011 00:12

Originally posted by KillerBug:
I was at bestbuy yesterday looking around...every last sharp TV looked like crap.
Um, no?

Over the past couple years I've bought 2 Sharp LCDs and an LED TV, in each case because after doing my homework they were the best bang-for-buck, usually performing as well as the competition that cost a few hundreds more.

The LED was a second option to a LG plasma I was looking for, but couldn't get it for the price I wanted. It's a great TV.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Nov 2011 @ 12:13

328.11.2011 20:35
Blimpsious
Inactive

Ummm Yes.

I have worked in CE and OEM manufacturing for many years and the ONLY reason Apple would go with Sharp is because Sharps business is in the toilet. NONE of the larger OEM TV suppliers would go into business with Apple and if they did the cost would be far greater than it is to buy in with Sharp. I seriously don't know what your smoking because Sharp televisions look and perform like crap compared to every other major manufacturer..Don't knock Killerbug because you are defending a product simply because you purchased it. I'd bet you my engineering degree that if he buys a Samsung it'll last far longer than your Sharp and have 10 times a better picture. Time to go finish my beer, you should put down that joint.

428.11.2011 21:25

Originally posted by Blimpsious:
Ummm Yes.

I have worked in CE and OEM manufacturing for many years and the ONLY reason Apple would go with Sharp is because Sharps business is in the toilet. NONE of the larger OEM TV suppliers would go into business with Apple and if they did the cost would be far greater than it is to buy in with Sharp. I seriously don't know what your smoking because Sharp televisions look and perform like crap compared to every other major manufacturer..Don't knock Killerbug because you are defending a product simply because you purchased it. I'd bet you my engineering degree that if he buys a Samsung it'll last far longer than your Sharp and have 10 times a better picture. Time to go finish my beer, you should put down that joint.
Relax guy you can keep your engineering degree, I'll have my own in a couple years. And I'll keep my weed as well; if you could, I can too :)

Sorry if I accidentally implied that "Sharp makes the best TVs on the planet" and "Every Sharp TV is phenomenal". No different from every other company, they have good and bad TVs. I know Samsung makes some great TVs, but those ones were out of my price range; the plasmas that were in it had buzzing issues, and picture quality wasn't top within that price range of plasmas anyways. Sharp's Quatron line was new/current when I made my LED purchase last year. Didn't buy it because side-lit is lame and so is Quatron. It was in the range, but the previous year's model was a lot better; fully back-lit and no Quatron yellow crap. Was my Sharp TV the best out there? Hell no. Was it the best for my price range? Yes. And the other 2 happen to be as well.

I have no idea who's top shit now in TVs. I won't disagree that Sharp is in the toilet because I don't know. I don't follow TV tech everyday. I'll update myself the next time I'm in the market for another TV. Only defending my purchases because I spent enough time on each researching what was best before hand.

528.11.2011 22:51

The HD Vizio, with full TrueLED Backlighting, has the best picture of any HD TV that I have seen, and I have 2 Samsungs, which are great, too.

I don't know how long my Vizio will last, but the picture is superior to any Samsung that I have seen.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive