1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of a third DVI/HDMI output...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jakis39, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jakis39

jakis39 Member

Hello everyone,

I'll be brief. I have a GeForce 8800GT, which is irrelevant aside from that it has 2 DVI outputs. Now I currently use two monitors, however I also frequently want to output to my TV when I watch movies etc. At the moment, whenever I want to do this I have to unplug my second monitor and plug in the TV in it's place, but over time this is starting to wreck the wired from so much plugging/unplugging.

What I really need is a third output, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this (on the cheap). Is it possible to buy a PCI card that I can use that won't interfere with my 8800GT? My mobo only has one PCI-e slot so a second good video card isn't an option.

I've also considered a device that would take the DVI/HDMI input and allow me to switch between two outputs (pretty sure that's what KVM switches do), however these are all unreasonably expensive.

Does anyone know any more about this subject? I don't know much about KVM switches or using like a supplementary video card...

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

(PS. Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything searching the boards.)

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

dvi to hdmi adapter = nothing to wreck just like a usb cable,in your case it might pay to put them on the monitor as well that way unplug from there to save bending down to rear of comp then simply place cable in tv hdmi slot,it's how i do it,other option is some sort of splitter that outputs from dvi to dual hdmi

edit:
    dvi to hdmi adapter there are also swivel type either 90 degree forward or back & slightly twist

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/other/auction-429494074.htm

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. jakis39

jakis39 Member

Hmm, I never thought about it like that. That does seem less damaging, thanks. However that still requires switching wires constantly and that's a pain. I would prefer to just always have it there. Is there no cheap way to use 3 monitors at once?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try a video switch box.

5. jakis39

jakis39 Member

www.amazon(dot)ca/Performance-Audio-Switch-Splitter-Remote/dp/B004INRKW6

Like this? This actually looks like it may work. The only issue is that it has 3 inputs and one output. I need one input and multiple outputs. Do you think it would work if I just used it backwards?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member