AfterDawn: Tech news

WebOS goes open source

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 09 Dec 2011 3:09 User comments (4)

WebOS goes open source HP has said today that it will be donating its webOS software to the open source community, just 20 months after purchasing Palm and webOS for $1.2 billion.
The company says it will remain active in the development and support of the operating system and hope that adding community support will certainly help the software survive for new generations of hardware.

Says the press release:

webOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected and scalable. By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices.

The underlying code of webOS will be available now with an open source license and devs, HP, hardware manufacturers and partners can start tweaking.

Concluding, new CEO Meg Whitman posted some bullet points:

The goal of the project is to accelerate the open development of the webOS platform
HP will be an active participant and investor in the project
Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation
Software will be provided as a pure open source project
HP also will contribute ENYO, the application framework for webOS, to the community in the near future along with a plan for the remaining components of the user space.

Check updates here: http://developer.palm.com/blog/.

Previous Next  

4 user comments

19.12.2011 15:34

Some potential here, but only time will tell. I hope this bring allot of programs.

29.12.2011 17:52

Sounds great to me, this should be help the touchpad to get more apps now.

39.12.2011 20:56

At least WebOS didn't get killed off like Unix did. HP made a smart and courageous decision.

410.12.2011 01:50

Originally posted by biglo30:
Sounds great to me, this should be help the touchpad to get more apps now.
You already have android, what more could you want???

Originally posted by ivymike:
At least WebOS didn't get killed off like Unix did. HP made a smart and courageous decision.
There really isn't anything of value here. They are just trying to make this a semi-viable OS so they can make a little bit of money on devices that use it. It isn't as good as Android and making it open source isn't going to fix that.

I support open source, and I am not trying to complain or anything...but as far as I am concerned, this is like making Windows 3.1 open source...a nice touch, but nothing of any real value.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive