AfterDawn: Tech news

Siri causing a huge surge in iPhone data usage

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 07 Jan 2012 5:12 User comments (20)

Siri causing a huge surge in iPhone data usage According to network firm Arieso, the voice recognition software Siri has led to a huge surge in iPhone data usage.
Because of Siri, iPhone 4S owners are using double the amount of data than their iPhone 4 counterparts.

Arieso Chief Technology Officer Michael Flanagan says voice recognition is leading consumers to "use their smartphones' functions more often." The firm advises major clients like Vodafone and Nokia Siemens on how to manage their wireless networks.

The firm "measured more than 1 million subscribers across a single European network in both urban and rural areas, without identifying the operator" to see the amount of data being used, and from what applications.

Over the past year, carriers have moved away from an unlimited data experience, instead charging customers for tiered plans, which usually top out at 10GB per month of 2G/3G/4G data and can be very expensive. The carriers claim anyone using over 2GB per month begin to put strain on their networks, which are ever expanding. The average smartphone owner uses just 750MB of data per month.

Arieso says a very small minority of owners (1%) use almost 50 percent of overall data over the course of the month.

Tags: Apple Data Siri
Previous Next  

20 user comments

17.1.2012 18:40

I want to see this kind of technology in video games. Not the data plan stuff just the siri part.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2012 @ 6:41

27.1.2012 20:09

So now the prices on the data plans will start to go up????

37.1.2012 22:52

Maybe I am not most people but I think if people actually devoted a little time to adding WiFi hotspots to their phones their data usage on cellular would decrease drastically. Having an iPhone 4s on AT&T I find that I am near a WiFi hotspot or a family or friends home with WiFi enough to make a huge cut in my data usage per month. Many restaurants, coffee shops, book stores, airports, and other public places already have Free WiFi access. I simply have added the AT&T WiFi settings and I find I can pick up WiFi even when near some of these places.

As far as the comment about this technology in video games goes I too would like to see that and at this point Microsoft is in the best position to make that a reality. The Kinect already has some impressive voice recognition built into the dashboard and some apps.

48.1.2012 12:17

Originally posted by vlaf:
I just got spammed for spamming.
edited by ddp

good job putting up spam
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jan 2012 @ 2:16

58.1.2012 13:24

Like bobiroc said, if you can use hotspots, use them... it'll cut down on the data consumption of your cellular bill like crazy. Obviously, your carrier won't tell you that, especially if you have a GB package. It's like the bank not telling you about literally cashing your paycheck so you have immediate funds in your checking account instead of waiting 72 hours for the funds to be available. Stupid, ignorant, F--ked up little insider, corporate games they like to play & even if you call them on their shit or ask them about the process, they feel like they don't have to tell you the subtleties.

Obviously, some areas don't have as many hotspots, but at home you may have a wifi router. Use the thing. Most fast food chains have wifi, so that shouldn't be a prob either.

All in all, I can't help but think that Apple has a 30% take in Siri's little tap on the cellular usage market. Any market gurus want to bite on that one?

68.1.2012 14:17

spammer spammed

78.1.2012 14:52

Originally posted by ddp:
spammer spammed
giggle

88.1.2012 17:23
fairviews
Unverified new user

It appears that Wifi Hotspot may not solve the problems of data usage by SIRI. Carriers (AT&T Network) does not AUTOMATICALLY allow SIRI to switch from 3G into Wifi on the spot. Therefore, when you're connected to the Wifi, Siri still pulling data from your 3G network.

To resolve this problem, you would have to disable 3G data network when you're connected to Wifi. This is not efficient way of using such a great Apps. Not sure if carriers like to play cat & mouse though!

98.1.2012 19:31

I use WiFi anytime i can. I have at&t, with only a 2GB data plan. I barley even come close to 1.5GB a month. And of course, WiFi isnt everywhere, so most people, dont even realize that there is a WiFi connection unless someone points it out to them. Hell some people dont even know how to connect to one at that.

109.1.2012 10:48

True. Most if not all phones, Andriod as well, will not automatically switch to wifi for data. truth be known, I've never known any smart phone to really 'instinctively' up & use the wifi for data only purposes. It's always been a user defined & executed function. So unless you knowingly open the wifi port & keep it open the phone has no reason but to use the respective cell service for its data resources.

I know on most Android devices there is a pretty easy to find on/off function - widget that lets you access the wifi control of your phone. As most folks know me in here I avoid Apple products, so I can't answer for the ease of operation for your iPhones. I would to assume (it pains me to use that word in relation to Apple, but yet...) that given that product they would make it easy enough so you could leave it on, thus making your hotspot finding & data usage less costly in the future (if your running into cost prohibitive problems as some of you folks have been reporting).

Granted, these are educated guesses & only practiced on one particular platform. Service carriers, devices, positioning the the sun and hand stance may all give varying degrees of results.

119.1.2012 11:46

[sarcasm]According to AT&T, iPhone users only use 200mb per month, and Verizon claims they use only 400mb per month...so doubling that really isn't an issue.[/sarcasm]

129.1.2012 11:59

[continuing sarcasm]...and Bill Gates said Windows never need over 640K to run...[end sarcasm overun]

139.1.2012 12:14

Siri.........what a farce! Limited range of like what???.........10 or 12 commands as I last saw on someone's IPhone?

Are sheeple really asking their IPhones "what's my day look like today?" over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over????????

149.1.2012 15:10

Originally posted by hearme0:
Siri.........what a farce! Limited range of like what???.........10 or 12 commands as I last saw on someone's IPhone?

Are sheeple really asking their IPhones "what's my day look like today?" over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over????????
Get a Life dude!

1510.1.2012 11:55

Originally posted by elflaco91:
Originally posted by hearme0:

Get a Life dude!

And why are you being a prick?

Po wittle baby wikes his IPhone and the wittle Siri feature it has??

1610.1.2012 14:11

*yawns* this conversation is starting to bore me. From here on lets try to make conducive contributions to the conversation.

1710.1.2012 14:19

Originally posted by dab0ne:
*yawns* this conversation is starting to bore me. From here on lets try to make conducive contributions to the conversation.
Agree...

1810.1.2012 15:09

Originally posted by fairviews:

It appears that Wifi Hotspot may not solve the problems of data usage by SIRI. Carriers (AT&T Network) does not AUTOMATICALLY allow SIRI to switch from 3G into Wifi on the spot. Therefore, when you're connected to the Wifi, Siri still pulling data from your 3G network.

To resolve this problem, you would have to disable 3G data network when you're connected to Wifi. This is not efficient way of using such a great Apps. Not sure if carriers like to play cat & mouse though!

Do you have any evidence to back this up. I am just curious on how Siri is always pulling from the 3G even on WiFi when other apps use WiFi when connected to it with the exception of text messaging and MMS. I think the only data that Siri uses on 3G when connected to WiFi is the GPS location data which is minimal. I believe the rest of the data does go through WiFi though.

I could be wrong but that is how I thought it was supposed to work when both Cellular Data and WiFi are enabled.

1910.1.2012 17:31

As far as I know, so long as wifi is enabled, it becomes the primary & only data flow control from the device. The cellular portion becomes communication (phone calls) only. Unless you have a Vonage or Skype app making the last statement moot and/or silly.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jan 2012 @ 5:32

2010.1.2012 17:38

Originally posted by LordRuss:
As far as I know, so long as wifi is enabled, it becomes the primary & only data flow control from the device. The cellular portion becomes communication (phone calls) only. Unless you have a Vonage or Skype app making the last statement moot and/or silly.
That is how I thought it was too. When using location services it uses the phone's GPS or Cellular Triangulation along with WiFi to pinpoint your location but when WiFi is enabled all internet based traffic goes through it (or at least it should)

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive