AfterDawn: Tech news

RIAA comments on the death of Megaupload

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 25 Jan 2012 7:39 User comments (40)

RIAA comments on the death of Megaupload Last week, the U.S. government shut down Megaupload.com, one of the largest and longest running cyberlockers in the business. Its founders, Kim Dotcom and a handful of employees were also arrested, charged with copyright infringement.
Megaupload and its owners are accused of taking over $500 million from copyright holders due to piracy, and cashing in on $175 million in profits from ads and premium subscriptions. At its peak, Megaupload had 150 million registered users and 50 million daily uniques, placing it in the top 25 most trafficked websites on the entire planet.

Today, the RIAA has posted its response to the closure, and why it is so important for the world. (Post in its entirety):

RIAA Blog: Why Closing Megaupload Matters
While much of last week was spent debating the language and suitability of anti-piracy legislation, on Thursday January 19th the US Justice department charged the operators of Megaupload with a host of crimes, and the site was shut down ( see here and here). Megaupload had been one of the most popular and notorious file sharing services in the United States, and used predominantly for trading unauthorized content including music, movies, and other copyrighted works. If you need any evidence about its shady business model, read the federal government's news release on the indictment or consider the fact that the Obama Administration's trade representative listed Megaupload as a "notorious market" rife with theft last month. Merely days later, we've seen other popular file sharing lockers like Filesonic and Fileserve curtail their own services, likely fearing similar charges as they functioned similar to Megaupload. ( see here). These shutdowns beg the question - what happens next?

Fortunately, shutdowns of these types of hubs for illegal activity are not unprecedented. In October of 2010, Limewire (the most popular P2P service at the time) was shut down, and just like this week, millions of users were forced to find new sources for their content. Although some contingent of users remain fixated on stealing music rather than using any of the myriad legal - and often free - services available ( here), we have seen strong evidence that many users quickly switch to legal sources. According to the NPD Group, Limewire users left by the millions in the months after the shutdown (see here). And just like this week with Megaupload and its ilk, the shutdown of one major source led to decreases across other similar services as well.

So where did those users go? There's good data that shows many turned to legal services. In 2010, digital album sales grew 13% while digital tracks only grew 1% according to The Nielsen Company, and many suggested that rapid growth in download sales was finished. But in 2011, digital sales rebounded, with digital album sales up 19% and digital tracks up 8% versus the prior year. But this chart from Nielsen shows what happened more explicitly. Digital music sales that had been flagging jumped in the month immediately after the Limewire shutdown, and have remained stronger ever since (note that while the Beatles did go on iTunes in November of 2010, they only account for a small portion of that sales increase, and current music sales went up even more than catalog). When Billboard looked at the data after the Limewire shutdown it said "The spike in sales was immediate, noticeable and lasting" ( see here).

Collectively, this evidence strongly suggests that the shutdown of illegal sites helps create a thriving and diverse digital marketplace. It encourages users to go to legitimate sites, and enables great new services to be launched - like Spotify, which launched in the US last year and quickly signed up millions of new users. It's always reassuring when the data we see in the market reflects what we thought was just common sense.

Joshua P. Friedlander
Vice President, Strategic Data Analysis, RIAA

Previous Next  

40 user comments

125.1.2012 20:12

Shutting down a file sharing site because some people use it for piracy is like shutting down a street because some people use it for smuggling...the smugglers just use other routes and the only people who are hurt are the legitimate users...and in this case, they are also prosecuting the local DOT for keeping the road in good condition.

If RIAA considers their products to be so terrible that stopping their distribution needs measures far greater than those used to stop the distribution of hard drugs, then I'll be sure not to "traffic" any of these terrible products from the store to my home.

225.1.2012 20:28

OO yes we will all be going legit now!?LOl

325.1.2012 21:06

Does anyone know where this chart is that the RIAA is talking about & can neilson be a trusted source & is there any other market research done that can backup the claims,i would want to see more proof before i conceed that shutting down sites works

425.1.2012 21:54

clap clap clap... seriously why can't they just disband the RIAA already

525.1.2012 23:30

that's too simplistic observation by RIAA. if they think shutting down megaupload will lead all free downloaders to go legal, that's far from the truth. what about rapidshare, and the countless other download sites, not mentioning torrents. they just focused on megaupload so megabox won't push thru. search megabox to know more about it.

625.1.2012 23:34

This was in reply to mystic

Because the Exec's want to be paid enough for the lifestyle they've become accustomed to,the artists sure as hell ain't getting anything,it's true for every $1000.00 earned the artist gets a measly $80 while the collection agency responsible for distributing the money collected gets $385.00,this is after all expenses paid,hence a class action lawsuit being filed by an artists who's name escapes me.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jan 2012 @ 11:39

726.1.2012 01:44

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
Does anyone know where this chart is that the RIAA is talking about & can neilson be a trusted source & is there any other market research done that can backup the claims,i would want to see more proof before i conceed that shutting down sites works[/quote

i dont think neilson has ever been a trusted source of anything.at least not in recent times.if thats all riaa has then they really have their heads buried up their asses.

826.1.2012 06:59
llongtheD
Inactive

Is it fair to say that the debate about SOPA and PIPA were merely "show trials?" It's obvious that this didn't or wouldn't even get to a vote, its been enacted. Another big f*ck you from our "public servants."

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Jan 2012 @ 7:04

926.1.2012 11:45

Solution to the problem of Anti-freedom congressman DO NOT ELECT REPUBLICANS!! no more with the exception of RON PAUL elect ron paul as president! the Elliot Ness of politics

1026.1.2012 14:46

They reference to Spotify. Personally, I feel that services like Spotify and Pandora, while kinda neat in their own way, are garbage. I listen to what I WANT WHEN I WANT.......not what someone else wants me to and when they want me to.

Besides, Spotify is free isn't it??? Except for the premium parts of course. I just can't see someone sitting back and saying........"damn, Megaupload shutdown. Well.....I guess I'll go look for music I can PAY FOR"........as opposed to "Damn, Megaupload shutdown. Better find another source of free, DRM free, quality content."

1126.1.2012 14:50

Originally posted by SuikoNiNjitZu:
Solution to the problem of Anti-freedom congressman DO NOT ELECT REPUBLICANS!! no more with the exception of RON PAUL elect ron paul as president! the Elliot Ness of politics
Oh GOD....not another one of you!

My "bad-decision making" best friend likes Ron Paul simply because of his outlook on marijuana. Get a life!!!! First you say "DO NOT ELECT REPUBLICANS" then you say "exception of Ron Paul" because of one or two ideas he's passed along to gain the acceptance of non-thinking younger tards who can't make informed decisions about ANYTHING..........much less the complexity of politics.

You have definitively shown yourself incapable of making a good decision and therefore, your voting privileges should be revoked. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you should be banned from having children and your driver's license should be taken away too.

1226.1.2012 15:46

Originally posted by hearme0:

My "bad-decision making" best friend likes Ron Paul simply because of his outlook on marijuana. Get a life!!!! First you say "DO NOT ELECT REPUBLICANS" then you say "exception of Ron Paul" because of one or two ideas he's passed along to gain the acceptance of non-thinking younger tards who can't make informed decisions about ANYTHING..........much less the complexity of politics.

You have definitively shown yourself incapable of making a good decision and therefore, your voting privileges should be revoked. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you should be banned from having children and your driver's license should be taken away too.
Who will you vote for Mitt or Newt? Not much of a choice is there?

People who vote along party lines are nutty as a fruitcake, that's why I am an Indie.

I suggest you look into Ron Paul. He makes sense not stories.

Most likely it will be Newt or Mitt. This will assure the reelection of Obama.

If Paul doesn't make it I will vote for Obama.

Another lost right wing Pub...... It makes Baby Jebus cry.

Jeff

1326.1.2012 16:03

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Shutting down a file sharing site because some people use it for piracy is like shutting down a street because some people use it for smuggling...the smugglers just use other routes and the only people who are hurt are the legitimate users...and in this case, they are also prosecuting the local DOT for keeping the road in good condition.

If RIAA considers their products to be so terrible that stopping their distribution needs measures far greater than those used to stop the distribution of hard drugs, then I'll be sure not to "traffic" any of these terrible products from the store to my home.
It's also like saying they shut down a highway to stop drag racing.

Th other facts to this turd hunt is that they want unsuspecting individuals to turn to their 'already established' legally ambiguous means of downloading entertainment/software. Seeing as they already control the medium, why shouldn't they continue to enslave the money attached to it?

Like the racing on the highways, who do you think finances the contracts for road repairs?

1426.1.2012 16:19

feds are stupid... frostwire same thing but still up and running haha

1526.1.2012 17:42

All of this is over the illusion that it's protecting artists or movie makers or such, hence why the corporations are allowed to do this, but at least on the music making front, i found this awhile ago on my adventures on the web, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwgdB0N...player_embedded

and on another front, are they going to shut down you tube? most songs i can think of i can you tube in 5 seconds or less and hear them any time i want to, and in this age, who doesn't have some sort of net connection? the only difference between you tube bookmarking and having a mp3 file is about 2.5mb of guilty. a very good portion of people who play music do so off their computer nowdays, make a you tube playlist and there ya go, hell, you can even you tube each song of an album and line them all up and boom, what new record you want to hear?

bottom line, they want another excuse to take your money.

ok im done

1626.1.2012 22:26

Originally posted by Naferion:
and on another front, are they going to shut down you tube? most songs i can think of i can you tube in 5 seconds or less and hear them any time i want to, and in this age, who doesn't have some sort of net connection? the only difference between you tube bookmarking and having a mp3 file is about 2.5mb of guilty. a very good portion of people who play music do so off their computer nowdays, make a you tube playlist and there ya go, hell, you can even you tube each song of an album and line them all up and boom, what new record you want to hear?

bottom line, they want another excuse to take your money.

ok im done
They have tried a couple of times same with some other video sites as well.

The difference is Goggle while it paid for youtube and took over, when the court cases rolled up they paid the fines plus also paid for any lic requirements to allow music to be on there.

That is why they don't get sued anymore but the music companies can still sue owners of the videos as they won't have lic to upload the music.

Overall though, Megaupload is probably has it's servers in the USA, while others don't.

So the US cops are able to walk in and actually pull the plug on a server rack, the owner got picked up in New Zealand as they have just joined up to interpol and done some treaties with the US gov part of which is changing stuff to be like the US laws.

So that's why people can still be sued for US laws in other countries.

The police forces are far far more interlinked than people think, just because your in another country means nothing these days, the only real benefit is they have to screw around trying to get you sent over etc and that comes down to laws in the country your arrested in.

1727.1.2012 09:59

Originally posted by hearme0:

Troll.

1827.1.2012 11:23

What now ? You mean nerdy little sterile boys sitting in their dorm rooms and parents basements every where can't download free movies and music any more ? Oh what a shame !!! You mean they need to get a life and a job now finally and pay for their entertainment like every one else does ? And further not waste their life and all their precious time on downloading everything for free just because they can ? Instead they need to actually try to use their time more wisely and get a second job maybe ? So they can pay off some bills or work on a real constructive hobby ? Like maybe even go outdoors for once and like get some fresh air ? You mean go outside in real life and smell the flowers ? And maybe even see the sun for once shining down on their pasty white albino skin ? You mean for once in their miserable lives they need to now actually pay for things instead of getting everything for free in their life ? Oh boo' hoo', it makes me really want to cry and wimper for their poor souls....Not !!!

Get a life people and stop wasting all your time downloading illegally, text messaging, and Facebooking your life away' !!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2012 @ 12:00

1927.1.2012 14:04

double troll?

2027.1.2012 14:30

I had a cleverly drawn out scenario about spoofing his mac address, using it to download a couple of movies from a known 'watched' site; all the while that was going on, I would use a bit of my military training to sneak from out of hiding & embellish some derogatory story involving mothers & ending with more military training as I crawled out a window satiated & $20 richer as the FBI came to collect him as the supposed perpetrator of copyright infringement --- but then what good would all that prove?

It still does little to disprove that the alphabet Nazi's are a bunch of blow hard douche bags that have won one this round.

2127.1.2012 15:46

Originally posted by Scaldari:
double troll?
Are you refering to you Troll ?

2227.1.2012 15:57

Originally posted by aarowsmith:
What now ? You mean nerdy little sterile boys sitting in their dorm rooms and parents basements every where can't download free movies and music any more ? Oh what a shame !!! You mean they need to get a life and a job now finally and pay for their entertainment like every one else does ? And further not waste their life and all their precious time on downloading everything for free just because they can ? Instead they need to actually try to use their time more wisely and get a second job maybe ? So they can pay off some bills or work on a real constructive hobby ? Like maybe even go outdoors for once and like get some fresh air ? You mean go outside in real life and smell the flowers ? And maybe even see the sun for once shining down on their pasty white albino skin ? You mean for once in their miserable lives they need to now actually pay for things instead of getting everything for free in their life ? Oh boo' hoo', it makes me really want to cry and wimper for their poor souls....Not !!!

Get a life people and stop wasting all your time downloading illegally, text messaging, and Facebooking your life away' !!
and yet here you are.

2327.1.2012 16:09

Originally qouted by aldan:
and yet here you are.

Yes here you are qouting me with no original thought process in your mind, try something new like typing something with your own words and thoughts and opinions. Last time I checked it is a free country. Are you Trolling me and why ? Get your own damn words and opinions. Move along lemming troll.......
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2012 @ 4:13

2427.1.2012 16:31

Originally posted by jahnarisha:
that's too simplistic observation by RIAA. if they think shutting down megaupload will lead all free downloaders to go legal, that's far from the truth. what about rapidshare, and the countless other download sites, not mentioning torrents. they just focused on megaupload so megabox won't push thru. search megabox to know more about it.
That is a very naive additude!

2527.1.2012 16:36

You are making some strong statements about persons you don't know and are very likely to be wrong about more than half of them. I would not get so carried away on a global stage.

2627.1.2012 16:56

Originally posted by Mez:

You are making some strong statements about persons you don't know and are very likely to be wrong about more than half of them. I would not get so carried away on a global stage.
Yes that may be true, sorry don't mean to argue but this is just my opinion. I have heard many others say the same thing too as I. I am not saying all cases but most friends and people's kids that I know are like this, they think everything should be handed to them for free. Nor should they pay the Artist a penny for their hard earned work. I know allot of people that feel that way. If you can't afford the entertainment then fine, do something else for cheap or free. But don't steal and ruin the income of Artist around the World by downloading illegally just because you think you may have a right to do so. And way too many people waste their time texting, social media and or going online and getting things for free when they could just pay for it, get another job or be more productive in life and save their precious time. Speaking of time is money, I am wasting my time too right now, oh well I digress......
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2012 @ 5:01

2727.1.2012 17:03

I totally agree with aerosmith about wasting ones life away,you can add posting in forums as well,you lot should all get life

ps: the irony..lol...

edit:that should be aarowsmith..ok i admit it i misspelt on purpose :p

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2012 @ 5:05

2827.1.2012 17:20

I totally agree with aerosmith about wasting ones life away,you can add posting in forums as well,you lot should all get life

ps: the irony..lol...

edit:that should be aarowsmith..ok i admit it i misspelt on purpose :p
well atleast I was working on my job bid and emails all while I was replying to this thread topic, but yes still the irony on my part of wasting my precious time....that is why I don't do Facebook, YouTube, and or downloading etc. I just don't have the time for that. I would rather work. Aarowsmith is miss spelled on purpose. Just a nick name, not the music band.

2927.1.2012 22:55

OMG. Who the hell does the aarowsmith person think he/she is. I work 60 to 70 hours a week and I still find time to text, facebook, post in forums, surf the internet any way that I feel like, etc. Don't tell me what I can and can't do. Adam Henry!!! Go crawl back into the hole that you came from.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2012 @ 10:55

3027.1.2012 23:24

Originally posted by ibmeubu:
OMG. Who the hell does the aarowsmith person think he/she is. I work 60 to 70 hours a week and I still find time to text, facebook, post in forums, surf the internet any way that I feel like, etc. Don't tell me what I can and can't do. Adam Henry!!! Go crawl back into the hole that you came from.
Don't know who the member is however member knows how to hit a nerve,personally i like his style the fish are on the bite reel em in bro..lol..

3128.1.2012 00:17

Originally posted by ibmeubu:
Don't know who the member is however member knows how to hit a nerve,personally i like his style the fish are on the bite reel em in bro..lol..
Maybe he hit a nerve to a certain degree but it's more the ignorance of him thinking that he knows it all. What makes him right and others wrong?

3228.1.2012 01:10

Don't know who the member is however member knows how to hit a nerve,personally i like
Maybe he hit a nerve to a certain degree but it's more the ignorance of him thinking that he knows it all. What makes him right and others wrong?

state of mind.it makes things interesting and we all have our turn on the soapbox.dont take it too seriously or it will eat you up.lol.

3328.1.2012 08:28

What you miss is they are killing all the free sites. Apparently they have some witt. They know more will be downloaded for free vs having to pay a buck or so for a gig. That isn't much but it does have an effect. After they get the free sites they will go after the paid sites.

If they were half as smart at tune and movie pricing the market might not even exist. The movie prefers to destroy movies than let the market determine their price. Many tunes could be sold for a profit at 10/$. They created their own monster.

3428.1.2012 13:19

Originally posted by Mez:
What you miss is they are killing all the free sites. Apparently they have some witt. They know more will be downloaded for free vs having to pay a buck or so for a gig. That isn't much but it does have an effect. After they get the free sites they will go after the paid sites.

If they were half as smart at tune and movie pricing the market might not even exist. The movie prefers to destroy movies than let the market determine their price. Many tunes could be sold for a profit at 10/$. They created their own monster.
I've been ranting the same thing virtually word for word. Make your commodity affordable instead of what the 'market will bear' & people will come back. I.e., quit maximizing the minimum.

Granted, it doesn't exactly answer for the knock-off market per se (or maybe it does), and it certainly won't stop thievery entirely. People are still going to steal stuff whether you like it or not, so continuing to use it as an excuse is ludicrous. In all, it still doesn't have to boil down for long to be recognized as greed.

3528.1.2012 14:45

DVD manufacturers will buy back DVDs at a fairly high rate so the stores will not be forced to cut the prices much to move their inventory. This means they don't want to sell at fair market price.

In the late 60s you could buy LPs containing 10+ tunes for $3. The royalties were fixed back then so the same royalties are in place but they want $1 per tune on a cheaper media and poor quality. Surprise, not everyone will be used as a door mat!

3628.1.2012 19:14

u mad bro?

3728.1.2012 20:23

Originally posted by Naferion:

u mad bro?
Maybe had a fight with his wife?

Must be a MPAA bot.

What that poor soul does not understand is people who are willing to pay for digital content will. Those who choose to pirate will. Easy concept to understand.

What I don't understand is some dope preaching while working for a organization on how digital content should be distributed in the 21st century.

How many times has this be said...... The MPAA and RIAA have to change their business model to move out of the 20th century. Spending money on lawsuits, copy protection that is always circumvented. Trying to run the Internet and buying Congress and the Senate.

Such a waste of time and money....

Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Jan 2012 @ 8:24

385.2.2012 11:20

Seeing as scorpNZ asked and I can't find it on this page (Im sure Im just blind). See as a new user I can't post links and I won't try circumventing just do a search for "Why Closing Megaupload Matters" and look for the riaa.com search result. As to the legitimacy no clue whatsoever just saying that's where the chart is. Weird that there isn't a link here. Wait are apostrophes also forbidden for new users ? Although, from some reading I've done the character used to the right of ; on a us english keyboard isn't actually an apostrophe but whatever.

397.3.2012 01:09

Wow, talk about riding someone's coat tails! The actions of the RIAA couldn't be more obvious if the RIAA itself was giving away a bright orange trench coat, with the letters "RIAA" stenciled on the back. It's almost as if they need a little moral booster for the troops, after their public relations fiasco of suefest they recently spearheaded. It's like kicking a dead game animal that someone *else* has shot, then trying to get into the trophy picture when they contributed absolutely *nothing* to getting this animal.

407.3.2012 07:44

Originally posted by ivangorrion:
Seeing as scorpNZ asked and I can't find it on this page (Im sure Im just blind). See as a new user I can't post links

It has been a very long time for me but I doubt your status has anything to do with posting a link. The link routine uses Java script and your browser may not allow that. If you can't change the setting because you are using a work computer just cut and paste the link as text.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive