AfterDawn: Tech news

Google backs Hotfile in copyright fight against MPAA

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 21 Mar 2012 3:06 User comments (28)

Google backs Hotfile in copyright fight against MPAA Google has backed Hotfile in its fight against the major movie studios.
The search giant has filed an amicus brief on behalf of the cyberlocker, which the MPAA has called "indistinguishable" from the recently overthrown Megaupload.

In the brief, the company asks the ruling judge to be "careful about accepting Hollywood's interpretation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, specifically the provisions relating to when ISPs enjoy safe harbor from liability," says THR.

Google specifically states that the DMCA puts sole responsibility of enforcement of copyright infringement on copyright owners and that cyberlockers like Hotfile, as long as they remove infringing material when asked, remain protected by the safe harbor act.

That argument may sound familiar because Google used it to defend a $1 billion lawsuit from Viacom a few years ago. Google won, but Viacom has appealed. Another similar decision was UMG v. Veoh, which ruled in favor of Veoh and not the music label.

Of course, Google isn't just sticking their neck out for no reason. The ruling they "picked up in its summary judgement victory against Viacom, the company wants to make sure there's no back-door intrusion in the Hotfile case," adds THR.

Hotfile's defense has been that they did not promote copyright infringement since there is no way to search the site for material.

Previous Next  

28 user comments

121.3.2012 16:04

Google, always with the great surprises! Good for them, hope it's successful.

221.3.2012 16:16

This was news 3 days ago, since then the MPAA has requested Google's testimony be rejected. Try and keep up AD.

321.3.2012 17:08

AD does a great job and this was the first I heard of it. Thanks. I shared this article on G+

421.3.2012 17:42

first I heard of it as well so good to no.

521.3.2012 18:03

GO GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!

621.3.2012 20:00

Oh cool, you people are all like a week behind then. Let me tell you about this thing called KONY..

721.3.2012 20:09

Is that thunder I hear in the distance?...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Mar 2012 @ 8:17

821.3.2012 20:17

Originally posted by hikaricor:
Oh cool, you people are all like a week behind then. Let me tell you about this thing called KONY..
Do you pay AD's bills? There's many way to dig up information. I read multiple on line rags a day.

I suggest you cool your jets instead of being an asshole.

Hope your minstrel cycle ends soon.

Jeff

921.3.2012 20:34

Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:
Do you pay AD's bills? There's many way to dig up information. I read multiple on line rags a day.

Jeff
Everyone knows I'm always and asshole and I bleed 24/7/365. ^_^

1021.3.2012 20:46

This was news 3 days ago, since then the MPAA has requested Google's testimony be rejected. Try and keep up AD.
Yes, the news is 3 days old; but no matter ....the point is to get the word out and get people informed. The world is not perfect yet. Thx AD
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Mar 2012 @ 8:52

1121.3.2012 22:06

Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:

Jeff
Everyone knows I'm always and asshole and I bleed 24/7/365. ^_^
Anyone got a styptic pencil????

1221.3.2012 22:10

i hear that thunder too & it is getting louder as it approaches!!

1321.3.2012 23:22

Kony

Moto: Been putting AK's in the hands of children for 30 years!

Jeff

1422.3.2012 00:49

You make no sense.
First you said this news is 3 days old and now you said we're a week behind... if you were smart you would know that 3 days isn't a week.

if you knew about the news post it rather than slamming people. People do have things to do than sit here and post nonsense things like you're doing...

back on topic - this issue might not work since megaupload removes links too and even though hotfile doesn't have search feature, they can still prevent others from downloading/uploading copyrights. In fact, they didn't even closed the person's account of those who continues to uploaded copyrights files on their server.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Mar 2012 @ 12:57

1522.3.2012 10:22

3 days isn't a week? I think you're lying..

1622.3.2012 15:07

it isn't a week & they are not lying so do you think i'm lying then?

1722.3.2012 17:41

Ofc I do. :) You're one of the communists who are trying to take control of my brain and use as part of the cloud..

1822.3.2012 18:58

......trying to take control of my brain and use as part of the cloud..
Dude. Your brain is already cloudy; but you do not know that, 'cos this is a very, very fresh breaking news :)))

1922.3.2012 21:28

i'm no communist as i'm somewhat liberal minded tho probably what happened to me at birth did that.

2022.3.2012 23:14

Whatever you say comrade. ^_-

2123.3.2012 00:54

Whatever you say comrade. ^_-
let's try not to get banned ...

the issues with hotfile is that they also pay uploader money for uploading files on their site which is the same as megaupload.sad to say but hotfile and google not going to win.

2223.3.2012 13:48

hikaricor, canada has a freely elected "somewhat" democratic government so is not communist thereby i'm not communist.

2323.3.2012 16:39

Successful troll is successful.

2423.3.2012 16:48

i don't mind but i do have the ban option available.

2523.3.2012 17:38

Originally posted by ddp:
hikaricor, canada has a freely elected "somewhat" democratic government so is not communist thereby i'm not communist.
Maybe it has something to do with your healthcare which conservatives regard as a form of communism.

From what I have read the lines for appointments unacceptable. The fact is at least C-A-N-A-D-A has healthcare.

In the US if you have, let's say Liver disease you are out of luck without an insurance provider or Medicare. Well, Medicare is almost worthless and will not cover a Liver transplant. Believe me, I know..

Medicare will cover a small potion of six figure medical bills but you are stuck with the remaining balance.

The first thing you do when getting any type of medical help is sign a disclosure and a promissory note stating you will pay the hospital and doctors within 6 months in most cases. How many people can afford a 100k doctor/hospital bill?

Liver transplant? Close to 1/2 million in USD when all is said and done.

So there you are lying in bed dying while the creditors harass you for payments most people cannot afford.

I am lucky having medical insurance. Really the GOV and most people don't care if you live or die.

Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Mar 2012 @ 5:56

2623.3.2012 22:47

@Jeff P

I disagree. My 90 year old Mom just died. On Medicare she had two hips and one knee replacement and later had a 9 mo dying period. Her medical bills totaled maybe $100 for all her procedures and hospice and rehab care while in Medicare! My brother in law died after neck cancer treatments and paid not one penny for bills-$200K- on medicare. I'm on medicare and have not paid a cent for my checks up and et cet. Obamarama care will bankrupt the country. But you are right the GOV and most people don't care if you die or what.

BTW: my generation-Baby Boomers are gonna bankrupt the country also!!!!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Mar 2012 @ 10:49

2724.3.2012 01:15

@ jeff we have great medicare here in australia.

back on topic
think hotfile will have a chance if google are throwing money into this.

2831.3.2012 01:44

Ofc I do. :) You're one of the communists who are trying to take control of my brain and use as part of the cloud..
Hmm, me thinks there's a hole in your tin foil hat. You may want to fix that...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive