AfterDawn: Tech news

Has Android only brought in $550 million revenue, ever

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 30 Mar 2012 1:01 User comments (6)

Has Android only brought in $550 million revenue, ever It appears that Android has only brought Google $550 million in revenue since its launch in 2008.
The numbers came to light as part of Google's ongoing settlement talks with Oracle ahead of the patent infringement trial that will begin in mid-April.

Additionally, Apple products have brought Google four times as much revenue as Android did, thanks to Google Search via Safari, the iPhone/iPad and Google Maps.

The figure suggests the company makes less than $10 per Android handset per year, with over 220 million devices activated since 2008.

In the lawsuit, Google had offered to pay Oracle a small percentage of Android revenue if the company could prove Google had violated patents related to the mobile OS. Oracle scoffed at the deal, claiming it was too low, and instead took the search giant to court. The company sued Google in 2010 and is looking for billions in damages.

Google offered to pay 0.5 percent of Android revenue on one of the patents in question until December 2012 and 0.015 percent on the second patent until April 2018. Additionally, the search giant offered $2.8 million as a settlement for the infringement.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

130.3.2012 14:11

So Oracle is suing Google for the billions its never made?

230.3.2012 16:05

Originally posted by Morreale:
So Oracle is suing Google for the billions its never made?
Punitive damages.

330.3.2012 17:20

Sounds like a verbal legalese dance of the cha-cha... I.e., cry that they have no money (of the amass their asking) so as to ask for leniency when the court pronounces sentencing.

I'm under the impression there is a 'guilty' verdict in the air.

431.3.2012 11:48

I am a bit amazed google has made that much...at least directly. My android doesn't have any advertising in any of the built-in apps...there are a few apps that have advertising, but how much can a 1" wide banner app make?

Now, there are the associated profits...like all the people who got various google accounts for Android and now use them on their PC, and there is the brand recognition factor too...but as far as direct sales, it seems to be a loss when you figure all they have spent on it. Oracle should sue Microsoft and Apple...they are making more on Android than Google is, without any investment.

531.3.2012 15:15

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Now, there are the associated profits...like all the people who got various google accounts for Android and now use them on their PC, and there is the brand recognition factor too...but as far as direct sales, it seems to be a loss when you figure all they have spent on it. Oracle should sue Microsoft and Apple...they are making more on Android than Google is, without any investment.
Could it be that Google split off the profits into subsidiary accounts? I.e., Android didn't make the money directly. Thus a great way of Google not loosing their shirt altogether in one of these lame trolling legal suits?

It's not like these Fortune 10 companies don't know how these games are played. I'm sure they knew one of these kinds of law suits was bound to turn up, albeit for legitimate purposes or for political jockeying. I can't help but think they had to have some kind of statistical projection think tank from hell that put this one together & foresaw a work around.

They'll take a loss, but seeing as Cisco (or Oracle, it's one of them... I get so confused) wants to rule the world, it won't be via through Google.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Mar 2012 @ 3:17

631.3.2012 19:21

google isn't trying to make money with andriod, they are trying to get market share. then comes the money.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive