1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub-woofer necessary ?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by mayhem_metal, May 20, 2012.

1. mayhem_metal

mayhem_metal Member

Hi

I had recently built a DIY new Floor standers with 12" Woofer Goldwood,dome mids & dome tweeter all purchased from parts express. The speaker turned out very good matching the Nad 356. I listen to all kind of music & 90% of the music sounds clear & nice. The bass by the Goldwood woofer is tight and good does not boom too much just correct. What really is eating me is wherever I hear a sub somewhere I feeling I am missing something.

Maybe by adding a one Active Sub 250W Dayton plate & 12" Sub it would give me the extra lows lows which I feel is missing.

Searching on the net for tips and was very tempted to use the JBL car subs and landed on this post its quite old http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/776389 and thanks to djscoop you saved me from making a error of using a Car Sub for home.

Request if anyone of you could enlighten me do I really need a sub in the first place or if yes do I require two SUB instead of one.

Totally confused.

Thanks

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I all depends on what you want. Just buying something and relying on luck is not the way I would want to go. Massive base requires massive power. My system can brown the lights if you hit a low note. No way a car alternator can deliver that kind of wattage.

Check out the frequency range of it and your speakers to see if it is worth it. As you go from 20 Hz going to zero the wattage goes up very fast.

3. mayhem_metal

mayhem_metal Member

Thanks for the info.
    How about Polk Audio DSW PRO 600 Subwoofer. Anyone who is using this sub what's your take

4. Mez

Mez Active member

It is a 500 watt speaker with frequency response of 20Hz-160Hz. 20 Hz is the point where you begin to feel and not hear the out put. If you go lower than that the wattage will go up. Even at 500 you need a big amp to power the speaker. Expect plenty of clipping if you have the volume up.