1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting AC3 to play in WMP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by vanlazarus, Sep 12, 2012.

1. vanlazarus

vanlazarus Member

I have the AC3 filter (2.5b) installed and STILL I get no audio when playing DVDs that use AC3. This has been a LONG standing problem I've had. I'm very computer literate and think I have all the appropriate codecs installed.

I know I can use VLC to play these files, but, really, this should be possible in WMP too.

Everytime WMP shows the audio being DOLBY DIGITAL something, it doesn't work.

Any help at solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. vanlazarus

vanlazarus Member

JST1946... I dont understand what youre trying to tell me. I already stated that I installed the ac3filter... Do some ac3filters work in WMP and not others?

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

What version of windows are you using? I sent you the link from an Afterdawn forum pertaining to The AC3 filter.It is near the bottom of the page.

5. vanlazarus

vanlazarus Member

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Why do I need a link to the ac3filter? I told you twice that I have it already installed... unless there are multiple types of ac3filters that make a difference in WMP.

6. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  7. vanlazarus

vanlazarus Member

No, the version I have installed is identical to the version available on SoftPedia (2.5b) that states it is for Windows 7.

Send me a link to a version, other than the one I have installed (ac3filter_2_5b.exe), that says it's for Windows 7.

8. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

9. vanlazarus

vanlazarus Member

Unfortunately, the latest link that you gave me is to an older version of the same software (1.63b) by the same guy (Alexander Vigovsky). It has the same problem. I've tried changing almost every setting under the ac3 config window to no avail.

I still get NO SOUND in WMP! :(

10. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

look up the shark007 codecs. they do stuff. It might be too extensive for what you need, but it does feature WMP integration.

11. vanlazarus

vanlazarus Member

I've been using Shark007's codec pack for years. Unfortunately, his pack does not prevent this problem. Maybe some settings within? I have no idea though.

12. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

it's not really a new problem.. it's been with us for a while.. I had to write my own codec by messing around with source code to get it working a few years back (grrrr.. debian 64).. BUT.. you will be pleased to know there is a fix.. not easy, but I reckon you can handle it..

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/using-ac3filter-in-media-center.html

make sure to read the comments as well.. there is some rather pertinent info relating to ac3 and dolby in the 2nd or 3rd reply :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012