1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning about Nero

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by tireland, Jul 13, 2004.

1. tireland

tireland Member

I don't think I posted this on this thread but here's a head's up on an otherwise (for me) great DVD burning program. Nero Express 2 truncates LPCM DVDV audio tracks from whatever extended resolution they happen to be to 16 bits. I found this out after sending out some DVDV audio-only disks that I had carefully mastered at 24 bits only to have my auditioners notice that the files only had 16 bit resolution (the Ahead folks confirmed this behavior after I brought it to their attention). A little egg on my face as I knew these folks had DVD players where the downsampling was disabled... I'm switching to DVDlab Pro as it readily deals with all this stuff properly.

Tony

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

This is because Nero is NOT a DVD-Video authoring tool.
    It is a cheap & nasty 3rd party burning application that is a jack of all, and master of none.

Sorry to offend nero freaks, but there are so many cases of this app screwing up DVD authoring applications it isn't funny.
    Also to beware are any "packet writing" utilities, such as DLA, Direct To Disk, Drag to disk, any of those.
    These will lock out your DVD burners, and prevent authoring apps gaining exclusive access.

Nero?
    not on my PC.

3. Kirin

Kirin Member

Wilkes, hi there, what would you recommend other than Nero?

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I'm lucky enough to have WaveLab, which does all my Audio/Data discs, and Gear Pro for everything else.

In the Nero type of apps though, Record Now DX works very well, as long as Packet Writing like InCD or DirectDisc is all never installed.

Just mt opinion, as a lot of people have really good results with Nero. I just don't trust it.

5. Kirin

Kirin Member

Heh, lucky indeed, those are [bold]THE[/bold] Tools. But thanks much for the tips and especially on not installing InCD or DirectDisc.

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Direct to disc & packet writing are an abomination!
    It's also a good idea to disable the one built into Windows XP too.
    Go to My Computer, right click your burner, choose properties & under the Recording tab, disable "let windows access this drive" or whatever it is called. Memory fails right now, and the internet machine is a 98SE one.

7. Kirin

Kirin Member

Thanks a lot for the tips Wilkes, much is appreciated!