AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Opening Windows 8: A Tale of 2 Start menus

news article released on:

So you've decided to use Windows 8. Maybe you wanted to take advantage of the unusually low upgrade price, maybe you just bought a new computer, or perhaps you're just trying it out to see if you like it. Whatever your reasons there's a very good chance either you have already added a Start menu of some kind, are considering adding a Start menu, or are in the process of evaluating your options ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 16 messages.

You know what's really funny? Spending $15 on Windows 8 then reading someone calling spending $5 on a start menu, "reasonable".
▼▼ This topic has 15 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by KSib:
You know what's really funny? Spending $15 on Windows 8 then reading someone calling spending $5 on a start menu, "reasonable".
Well reasonable is all relative isn't it? ;)

For example I donated $5 to the Classic Shell developer and for the features and overall value I'd call that a steal.

But I get your point. I don't necessarily think $5 is a reasonable price for Start8, which is purely based on Classic Shell being both free and far superior. $5 is cheap compared to Stardock's other software but now that Windows 8 has created a whole new market for UI enhancements and so many of them, ranging from the useless to the brilliant, are free all of Stardock's other tools have become over priced because it's a whole new market with entirely new competition.

I would point out, however, that the price of Windows has no direct relationship with the value of any other program. Value is determined by the market (ie customers) and generally heavily influenced by the competition. Windows is neither the market for Start8 nor is it competition. It may influence the actual value of Start8 but that's an indirect relationship decided by the entire potential customer base.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Nov 2012 @ 16:55

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer
Whats even more funny is a comment on getting win 8 for 15.00 when you need to have a bought a new pc between what months again,there's another two catches as well ain't there pffft

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

If I install both of these programs. Do you think I'll have problems?
Ah the old shell changers are back again.

The problem with these is they are screw up programs or even screw up windows itself causing more problems.

Winblinds is ok but causes memory hog problems for each window open then sucks up extra memory on top of any program memory used as the GFX themselves chew up GFX card memory and windows memory.

This was a problem for winblinds etc

Also 9 times out of 10 you get left with a basic shell setup and need to alter the shell cfg to be able to add what you want to the shell.

They become problems in their own right really.

MS should have pushed for touch screens and then released win8 rather than release win8 into a non touch screen world and say it's the way forward when 99% of the PC userbase can't use win8 properly.

I really like how they dump win8 on to brand new non touch screen laptops and than leave it to the seller to show how great win8 is when they can't use win8 or show how to use it properly themselves in the shop.

Had 1 guy trying to show off the different ways you can show up a stock ticker (share prices) to a chick who couldn't careless about share prices.
Originally posted by xtago:

The problem with these is they are screw up programs or even screw up windows itself causing more problems.

Winblinds is ok but causes memory hog problems for each window open then sucks up extra memory on top of any program memory used as the GFX themselves chew up GFX card memory and windows memory.

*rolls eyes*

Pushing 3rd-party start applications to make Windows 8 behave like Windows 7, on a desktop PC, speaks tremendously of Microsoft's failure to provide progressive improvement with their product.
This is not a good thing. As the industry abandons old technology to adopt the new, we all must follow along, eventually. I hope Microsoft can see to it to fix this oversight with the interface on a PC.

--pcdtv--
Originally posted by rking_ad:
Pushing 3rd-party start applications to make Windows 8 behave like Windows 7, on a desktop PC, speaks tremendously of Microsoft's failure to provide progressive improvement with their product.
This is not a good thing. As the industry abandons old technology to adopt the new, we all must follow along, eventually. I hope Microsoft can see to it to fix this oversight with the interface on a PC.
Microsoft isn't pushing them...they think the new way is better...for their bottom line anyway.

Originally posted by rking_ad:
Gee it must be all those GUI customizations that is holding Linux back too.

Trying to back a version of Windows is nothing new. It has happened with every version of Windows so why would it stop now?

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.67Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon 5770HD, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2TB Additional HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices
I found Windows 8 to be problematic and i am not even talking about the start screen. I had it for a week and realized that I had a much better interface and better performance with Windows 7.

I am not against change, I am opposed to change for the worse.

But, Microsoft has influence. They have promised not to provide a much needed Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. They have removed Windows Widgets for two reasons, a suspected security threat, and to nudge you towards Windows 8. Although, this pertains to the legacy OS, aka 7, it is, nonetheless, a change in Microsoft's product support, as in less support. I suppose we can anticipate that Microsoft will provide even less support with Windows 8, i.e. no service packs. Perhaps, the developers will package all those updates and provide those for $5 a whack.

I am not against "backing an operating system". I just don't feel like letting Microsoft off the hook for what is an obviously inferior product where I am concerned.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Nov 2012 @ 19:51

--pcdtv--

Also 9 times out of 10 you get left with a basic shell setup and need to alter the shell cfg to be able to add what you want to the shell.

MS should have pushed for touch screens and then released win8 rather than release win8 into a non touch screen world and say it's the way forward when 99% of the PC userbase can't use win8 properly.

I really like how they dump win8 on to brand new non touch screen laptops and than leave it to the seller to show how great win8 is when they can't use win8 or show how to use it properly themselves in the shop.

Had 1 guy trying to show off the different ways you can show up a stock ticker (share prices) to a chick who couldn't careless about share prices.

Don't bash it till you have tried it. Classic Shell has been around since 2009, is extremely stable and adds back valuable features to Windows 7/8/Vista.
Originally posted by anonymuos:

Don't bash it till you have tried it. Classic Shell has been around since 2009, is extremely stable and adds back valuable features to Windows 7/8/Vista.
Member neglects to mention windows itself skins also so doesn't that mean windows would be a memory hog also perhaps some enlightenment yes?

read on

http://www.wincustomize.com/article/77493

for the record wb uses 3-5mb on xp or w7 machine respectively hardly memory hogging & yep that's what my task manager reads can't argue with that it's in black n white..lol..

What happened to this article: Opening Windows 8: A customer born every minute

Oh, Im sorry... Did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?
The start menu is there. It is the Metro screen. When you mouse over the lower-left corner hotspot the start window appears. When you click on it (or press the windows keyboard key) it brings you to the Metro screen (which is also called the "Start" screen). Perhaps a little confusing, but it really is all there. They pretty much just made the win7's start orb a full screen window. There are a lot of really good improvements in win8 that overshadow the different start menu. + the fact that is only $39, and they are giving WMC free if you have Win8 Pro.

My only gripe so far is that for people with multiple monitors, corner hotspots don't really work. It is hard to get to the start menu and the charms menu because my mouse continues on to the other monitor!
Just want to say, I was not aware of Classic Shell. So I purchased Start8; having some of the programs from Stardock previously installed. I have upgraded to Windows 8, other than having minor program compatibility issues it is fine. Still working with it exploring the pros and cons.
I thought I should add "Classic Start" to this list for anyone looking for an alternative. It's available through ninite.com

I think it's free and seems to have a lot of options.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.