AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Consumers still hesitant to upgrade to Windows 8

news article released on:

According to a survey from anti-virus company Avast, most Windows users in the U.S. know what Windows 8 is, but only a few are looking to upgrade to it. Worse for Microsoft, is the fact that almost one third of those surveyed said they would look to Apple when it came time to upgrade from their Windows XP, Vista or 7 machine. The survey comes on the heels of Microsoft firing Steve ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 51 messages.

I bought it, but only because it was cheap now. I couldn't tell anyone I know to switch to it because they would have 500 questions and I wouldn't be around to help.

Most people don't sit around to try and figure out how something works, they just want it to work for them easily.
▼▼ This topic has 50 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
I could probably get it free... and I still don't want it.

Oh, Im sorry... Did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?
Maybe 10 years from now when they get all the bugs out of it I might buy it providing I'm still alive.

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.
Holy Distortion, Batman!

This article doesn't come close to accurately describing the survey results.

First, the survey was performed BEFORE the official release of Windows 8 (and the release of any new computers that came with Windows 8 pre-installed). And yet the headline to this article says consumers are "STILL" hesitant to upgrade. Whoops.

Second, this article claims that 1/3 of Windows users plan to switch to Apple when they "upgrade" their current Windows machine. Again, not even close to accurate. The survey actually said that when current Windows users buy their "NEXT" computer, 30% said that their next computer purchase would be an iPad. These were not people who were planning to upgrade their Windows PC to an iPad. That's ridiculous. These were people who are planning to stick with their Windows PC and also purchase an iPad as a second (or third) computing device. In fact, the Avast rep who described the poll results specifically stated that the poll results reflected the fact that "Most people are going to the iPad as their second or third computing device." The fact that 30% of respondents intend to "go to the iPad as their second or third computing device" is not even remotely supportive of Andre's claim that 1/3 will " look to Apple when it comes time to UPGRADE FROM their Windows XP, Vista or 7 machine."

Third, this article claims that the survey suggests "only a few are looking to upgrade to [Windows 8]." The survey says nothing of the kind. Rather, the survey only looks at how many people would "accelerate a decision to buy a new computer just to have Windows 8." 9% said they would, while 70% said they would continue using their existing PC. The survey did not ask, and does not purport to say, how many people would keep their existing PC but upgrade the OS to Windows 8. The article also does not ask, and does not purport to say, how many people will purchase a Windows 8 computer when they replace their existing PC.
Originally posted by SoTired:
Holy Distortion, Batman!

First, the survey was performed BEFORE the official release of Windows 8 (and the release of any new computers that came with Windows 8 pre-installed). And yet the headline to this article says consumers are "STILL" hesitant to upgrade. Whoops.

Second, this article claims that 1/3 of Windows users plan to switch to Apple when they "upgrade" their current Windows machine. Again, not even close to accurate. The survey actually said that when current Windows users buy their "NEXT" computer, 30% said that their next computer purchase would be an iPad. These were not people who were planning to upgrade their Windows PC to an iPad. That's ridiculous. These were people who are planning to stick with their Windows PC and also purchase an iPad as a second (or third) computing device. In fact, the Avast rep who described the poll results specifically stated that the poll results reflected the fact that "Most people are going to the iPad as their second or third computing device." The fact that 30% of respondents intend to "go to the iPad as their second or third computing device" is not even remotely supportive of Andre's claim that 1/3 will " look to Apple when it comes time to UPGRADE FROM their Windows XP, Vista or 7 machine."

Third, this article claims that the survey suggests "only a few are looking to upgrade to [Windows 8]." The survey says nothing of the kind. Rather, the survey only looks at how many people would "accelerate a decision to buy a new computer just to have Windows 8." 9% said they would, while 70% said they would continue using their existing PC. The survey did not ask, and does not purport to say, how many people would keep their existing PC but upgrade the OS to Windows 8. The article also does not ask, and does not purport to say, how many people will purchase a Windows 8 computer when they replace their existing PC.
You sound like a microsoft troll!
Originally posted by joebloe12:
Holy Distortion, Batman!

Joybloe, did you really read SoTired's comment? He by no means sounds like an M$ troll to me, on the contrary, he pointed out things the survey said that is all. Many of the thing he pointed out, as i take it would not be favorable to M$.

I have to agree. While I often disagree with SoTired, he seems spot-on here.
I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 a month ago. I can download Windows 8 for I think the minus side of $15 by January 31st. I'll probably do it, but not do the upgrade for a while. Windows 7 seems to be working just fine for me right now, and I'm not one to be the first to jump on the latest and greatest gizmo if you know what I mean.

"Do not underestimate the power of an enemy, no matter how great or small, to rise against you another day." - Atilla
Worst operating system since Millenium ! Horrible looking, horrible to use, and slow !!! Pass it up !
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Nov 2012 @ 23:00
joebloe12, SoTired doesn't read as a ms troll to me!!
Originally posted by SomeBozo:
Holy Distortion, Batman!

Joybloe, did you really read SoTired's comment? He by no means sounds like an M$ troll to me, on the contrary, he pointed out things the survey said that is all. Many of the thing he pointed out, as i take it would not be favorable to M$.

Yes, I DID read his comments and it seems like he is making the case that Microsoft somehow did not get a fair shake or that he is sticking up for them.

I absolutely disagree with that.

I think windows 8 IS a bad selling OS. (Or just bad, period) Why? Because it is an OS designed for a tablet that MS tried to force people to use with a mouse and keyboard...guess what?

It just does not work as well as win 7 or XP. Those operating systems were designed with a computer in mind and not a stupid afterthought of making an all-in one operating system like win 8 so people have to use it on their computers.

I think there is a reason for win 8 not selling very well and that reason is, that people reject the notion of having to buy a touchscreen for their computer or clumsily use win 8 with a mouse and keyboard.

SoTired reads as if people are buying up windows 8 in mass, the article is absolutely wrong and I do not think that they are!

I think there is a REASON people are not adopting to Windows 8 and that reason is the interface. It was never designed for a PC, it was designed for a tablet. Most people have figured that out and I think that is the reason Microsoft is not seeing the growth in sales in this particular Operating System.

But as far as that goes, Microsoft can only blame itself! Forcing people into an all-in one OS is not a very good way to get off on the right foot. Especially when computer users are used to getting an OS designed just for the computer alone.

In other words.. I think a lot of PC users have rejected win 8 because it was never designed solely for a computer. That does NOT mean you cannot use it on a computer, but that it is clumsy and irritating to use with a mouse and keyboard.

And you think PC people are going to be happy with that? I don't think so. Maybe a handful but most will not.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Nov 2012 @ 1:17
It's not the o.s that is turning people away and over to apple there getting tired of the malware and spyware with windows and because of that more and more people are going to apple
windows 8 is very stable from the start! Very smooth I just think they should give you an option with the start bar. other then that works very stable and fast!
Has anyone been watching Arrow? I had to laugh with all the sudden microcruft product placements, the microcruft monitors with the windows logo on the back which were painted in the most stark white to stand out.. forget subtle try a hammer. Anyway theres an episode where a girl pulls out a windows 8 laptop and you get to see the interface formally known as metro, so what does she do use it? nahhh she drops to desktop only mode to get some work done. I fell backwards laughing as even in make belive tv land no one can find a good use for windows 8's largely un wanted fondle stab alterego interface. Nice placement not...

Whats next fondle stab skate boards, oh wait.. lol they already did that.
1) SoTired was pointing out flaws in how the article used the *actual* survey data.

2) If you're going to debate, argue against what the other person actually says, not what you felt they meant.

Let me point out that I *DO NOT* like WIndows 8 (at all). In fact, SoTired and I have mixed it up on AD about exactly that. But he IS right about this article; it draws some very shaky conclusions about Windows 8 adoption from the survey's data, and he points out exactly how this is so.

Furthermore, in no way is SoTired "defending" WIn8 in his post. Little hint, fanbois and fangrrls: Noticing and pointing out the obvious flaws in an argument DOES NOT necessarily imply support for the opposing argument; it supports logic. If you actually go back and read SoTired's post, you'll notice he says little to nothing about Win8 itself; he entirely addresses the glaring problems with the above article.

People are going to have to learn that manipulating data to your ends proves nothing, it's that simple.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Nov 2012 @ 9:54
Originally posted by Bozobub:

People are going to have to learn that manipulating data to your ends proves nothing, it's that simple.
Well said Bozobub.

I like my sadistics teacher use to say...

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."
"Statistics never lie, but liars use statistics."
"99% of statistics are completely useless. Including these"

MS usually doesn't release granular sales figures...just total copies "sold" (which, of course, includes all new PCs sold w/ it pre-installed, regardless of whether customers were specifically wanting it).
You sound like an Apple troll. Windows 8 sucks, but people will upgrade to it, at least when they upgrade their current PCs. Very few will build their own with Windows 7 or downgrade...and few are going to buy a $2000 macbook when a $250 Acer can do all the same stuff and more.

Originally posted by Semperfipal:
I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 a month ago. I can download Windows 8 for I think the minus side of $15 by January 31st. I'll probably do it, but not do the upgrade for a while. Windows 7 seems to be working just fine for me right now, and I'm not one to be the first to jump on the latest and greatest gizmo if you know what I mean.
yea , me too, bought windows 8 and installed it on a spare hard drive to my desktop , not sure about it ....yet
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Nov 2012 @ 9:51
The real issue with Windows 8 is that it doesn't really offer anything. You can argue until you are blue in the face that Windows 8 can be modified to work as well as Windows 7...but what does it actually offer? Would you buy a new car simply because $10,000 worth of modifications could make it as good as your old car?

As far as I can tell, the only reason that I'll be upgrading to windows 8 is that M$ has implied they will cut off support for DirectX in Windows 7...and hopefully either they will backtrack on that or someone will start hacking the new DirectX distros to work with Windows 7.

Originally posted by KillerBug:
The real issue with Windows 8 is that it doesn't really offer anything. You can argue until you are blue in the face that Windows 8 can be modified to work as well as Windows 7...but what does it actually offer? Would you buy a new car simply because $10,000 worth of modifications could make it as good as your old car?

As far as I can tell, the only reason that I'll be upgrading to windows 8 is that M$ has implied they will cut off support for DirectX in Windows 7...and hopefully either they will backtrack on that or someone will start hacking the new DirectX distros to work with Windows 7.
I think win 8 offers a few things. First, a new interface that i would argue is suited better for mobile and touch devices, but a complete and utter pain to use without touch. Second, a view into the future of a touch oriented operating system. Third, just knowing microsoft there are probably enhancements for security. That said, as i think you'd agree, there isn't much else it has to offer other then feed more money into M$'s pocket.

And that said, it seems to me people would prefer to stick with the old tried and true design and style of the older versions of windows, but M$ is convinced they know what people want. Just seems to me they are trying to sell/push a touch OS when people don't want one.

At the end of the day, i ask myself, does win 8, or will win 8 make my day to day job easier or harder? I would say going from XP to win 7, many things were made harder to get done, a few things easier, and win 8 made a whole hell of a lot of stuff harder, and nearly nothing easier.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Nov 2012 @ 21:51
maybe win9 will be easier if ms learns from their mistakes with win8 like they did with vista which resulted win7.
Originally posted by ddp:
maybe win9 will be easier if ms learns from their mistakes with win8 like they did with vista which resulted win7.
Yeah following the long standing M$ pattern Win9 will be good but bet yer bottom dollar Win 10 is gonna SUCK!

Just my $0.02,

dEwMe
I like the idea that the OS was designed to run on a tablet only so far as tablets have limited CPU/Memory and it should force it to run a lot leaner. I'd like to hear people's real world experience regarding this. If it runs faster/more efficiently than Win7, I'd have no qualms running it.

...of course I'd have to immediately disable the-interface-formerly known-as-Metro and download a third party start menu...

...and no way I would ever buy a Mac unless games developers got their heads out of their rears regarding using platform dependent SDKs like DirectX and Apple went out of their way to get popular games running on Macs at launch. I see neither of these scenarios happening.
Originally posted by IguanaC64:
I like the idea that the OS was designed to run on a tablet only so far as tablets have limited CPU/Memory and it should force it to run a lot leaner. I'd like to hear people's real world experience regarding this. If it runs faster/more efficiently than Win7, I'd have no qualms running it.

...of course I'd have to immediately disable the-interface-formerly known-as-Metro and download a third party start menu...

...and no way I would ever buy a Mac unless games developers got their heads out of their rears regarding using platform dependent SDKs like DirectX and Apple went out of their way to get popular games running on Macs at launch. I see neither of these scenarios happening.
I used it and deleated it. Of course I had to use an image I saved as Win 8 does not go back to Win 7. I found it to be a dog. You can't adjust anything so I was unable to shut off the Tranparency that I also hated. So to me it was ugly and very slow. A total waste.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.