AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Paypal freezes accounts, bans Usenet providers

news article released on:

Just weeks after they began banning file-sharing hosts, Paypal has extended the bans to major Usenet services, citing piracy concerns. Outside of banning the providers, the company has also frozen the assets in the accounts. A few of the Usenet providers banned are XSUsenet, EasyUsenet and Usenet4U with smaller services being banned, as well. The providers can now no longer accept ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 37 messages.

Meh. I'll pay with a credit card.

▼▼ This topic has 36 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by nonoitall:
I'll go back to sending a money order to them.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Nov 2012 @ 5:23
butterfly17 Unverified new user
i don't know what to write i am a new user
Originally posted by butterfly17:
i don't know what to write i am a new user
Usually people either post opinions on the topic or troll in these situations.. just thought you should know. Welcome to the internet.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Nov 2012 @ 6:37

--aaron
Originally posted by bigfamei:
I'll go back to sending a money order to them.
I didn't know you could do that. Will credit cards companies eventually do what Paypal did? Also using a credit card leaves an audit trail back to you in case your worried about some level of privacy. I don't think a money order would, but not sure. Any thoughts?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Nov 2012 @ 8:57

"Do not underestimate the power of an enemy, no matter how great or small, to rise against you another day." - Atilla
Well, im no pirate, but im closing my paypal account this morning. they are not the only game in town.
I stopped using Paypal some time ago because of the risk of arbitrary account freezing. This company has way too much clout and charges too much for their 'service' to merchants. I do not deal with any merchant that uses paypal exclusively.
Originally posted by rmarsh:
I stopped using Paypal some time ago because of the risk of arbitrary account freezing. This company has way too much clout and charges too much for their 'service' to merchants. I do not deal with any merchant that uses paypal exclusively.
Whole heartedly agree with all these points. Paypal are way above themselves and greedy to boot.
Originally posted by rmarsh:
I've had a Payza account for a while now (got it back when it was Alertpay)...but people just seem paranoid about sending funds by anything but their beloved paypal. Well, too bad...I'm not going to support the actions of paypal anymore.
I am pretty pleased with WebMoney. Their process is a bit more cumbersome, but once you get it setup, works pretty nice.
I imagine there are others of us that are absolutely outraged by this. I just don't understand what the angle is? What does Paypal get out of doing this? Do they have a stake in reducing file sharing? It seems as if they have made it their mission by the rules above, free access to monitor the site, dictating the site's terms of service, etc, etc!!! What the F***? Granted, they are a private company (are they still private?) but why do they think it is their place to police these sites? And to freeze the accounts of the sites without justification or pending legal action is obscene.
Their rules for Usenet providers are absolutely atrocious, and I believe in some states, illegal. You cannot 'force' a company to allow full reign on the backend of a system for justification as a payment method.

I give it a few weeks before Paypal gets their pants sued.

-Sean-
PepePecas Unverified new user
Still donīt get it??? Sharing copyrighted files is wrong!!! You like it or not, is Bad... Sorry, all missed the point here. I know many use those services for good, you must be pissed out with those how use it for bad, and trigger this actions... FOCUS.
Originally posted by PepePecas:
Still donīt get it??? Sharing copyrighted files is wrong!!! You like it or not, is Bad... Sorry, all missed the point here. I know many use those services for good, you must be pissed out with those how use it for bad, and trigger this actions... FOCUS.
I've always heard the 10% of whatever discipline you are in, using or whatever will ruin it for the 90% of those who are legitmate. Which means 10% control what the rest of us do. How is the the minority fucks it up for the majority. Seems backwards to me, and should be the other way around. Oh well, thats the way of world I guess.

"Do not underestimate the power of an enemy, no matter how great or small, to rise against you another day." - Atilla
And yet they ignore the questionable pharmacy sites...

The only trouble is we've given the IP owners an few feet and they have taken millions of miles. IP law is slowly becoming draconian fascism.

We can't even implement a system that focuses on real damage like making illicit revenue off distribution because the powers that be would just let the lawyers warp it to a point where you still can't do anything with IP but pay for it time and time again.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/
Originally posted by Semperfipal:
I've always heard the 10% of whatever discipline you are in, using or whatever will ruin it for the 90% of those who are legitmate. Which means 10% control what the rest of us do. How is the the minority fucks it up for the majority. Seems backwards to me, and should be the other way around. Oh well, thats the way of world I guess.
The minority own everything and the majority are too busy getting by day by day to care about product quality, enslavement,censorship ,lower wages ,higher inflation, ect,ect,ect

This logic works well for both politics and consumer goods and services as both are pretty messed up and slowly getting worse.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
hey paypal we will miss you because you will go out of bussiness for this and worse you are violating privacy laws in other countrys by blocking usenet accounts because you have no right to request access to the files at all without a search warrent as deemed by most countrys
"Merchants must provide PayPal with free access to their service, so PayPal's Acceptable Us Policy department can monitor content."

It seems that even if you don't use PayPal, they want access to all customer's "content".
So, any merchant that uses PayPal has given access to their services to PayPal. Irrespective of any Privacy Laws and without a Federal or State warrant!!

What Federal Court or Federal Bill gave PayPal the duty of controlling & enforcing all copywrite laws??

There goes some more civil liberties!
You just got bent over & you didn't even feel a thing!
@vbdragon

Quote:
What Federal Court or Federal Bill gave PayPal the duty of controlling & enforcing all copyright laws
This is exactly the point! The fact that "sharing copyrighted files is wrong" has nothing to do with PayPal. What have they ever published, produced or represented that gives them an interest in copyright enforcement? They are in the money/payment business.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Nov 2012 @ 16:34

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.
Eh...credit or debit
I'm having a hard time understanding why Paypal thinks they have a dog in this hunt.

And furthermore, if I find out that my information was given to Paypal... (i'm not a paypal customer) I'll be suing like nobody's business.

I dropped them ages ago when they kept sending me spam emails. Took me MONTHS to get my CC deleted from them and I still get crap from them.

My only concern here, really, is just the fact that Usenet is on their radar.
Originally posted by ThePastor:
I'm having a hard time understanding why Paypal thinks they have a dog in this hunt.

And furthermore, if I find out that my information was given to Paypal... (i'm not a paypal customer) I'll be suing like nobody's business.

I dropped them ages ago when they kept sending me spam emails. Took me MONTHS to get my CC deleted from them and I still get crap from them.

My only concern here, really, is just the fact that Usenet is on their radar.
The media maffia can easily go after them. And take ebay with it.

---
Originally posted by ChiknLitl:
I just don't understand what the angle is?
"Freezing" accounts is essentially the same thing as stealing all the money out of them...even if it is released at some point, they make interest on it until then.

Originally posted by vbdragon:
"Merchants must provide PayPal with free access to their service, so PayPal's Acceptable Us Policy department can monitor content."

It seems that even if you don't use PayPal, they want access to all customer's "content".
So, any merchant that uses PayPal has given access to their services to PayPal. Irrespective of any Privacy Laws and without a Federal or State warrant!!

What Federal Court or Federal Bill gave PayPal the duty of controlling & enforcing all copywrite laws??
It isn't just about copyright enforcement either...Megaupload didn't get taken down by the FBI until after WikiLeaks started using it as a dropbox and anonymous started using it to coordinate actions. Copyright infringement laws are doing the same thing that anti-terrorist laws have been doing since 2001; making illegal government actions legal by decree. Paypal is playing along...and as far as I'm concerned, that makes them worse than any pirate.

Still have to wait 2-3 days for the last of my paypal balance to transfer to my bank account so I can close paypal forever.

This story actually surprises me, with Paybay being the money grubbing-bastards that they are, I thought they'd be thrilled to take their cut. They don't have a problem with collecting Ebay auction fees, then hitting the seller up again for Paypal fees, and they call OTHERS pirates? lmao! (for the uninitiated, Ebay bought out Paypal a while ago...)
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.