AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Samsung Galaxy Camera to reach Canada next month

news article released on:

Samsung has announced that the extremely impressive Galaxy Camera will reach Canada on December 7th, with carrier-independent 3G. The device has been available in the U.S. via AT&T since last week. Galaxy Cameras offer Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, a 4.8-inch HD Super Clear LCD panel, a 1.4GHz quad-core processor and 16MP BSI CMOS sensor with 21x optical zoom. There is an HSPA+ chip for ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 10 messages.

#1
But you can't make calls from it?
▼▼ This topic has 9 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
With Skype or other VOIP, yes.
#3
Originally posted by Bozobub:
With Skype or other VOIP, yes.
Any service for text messaging?

At $500, I don't understand why they just didn't give it phone capabilities. I feel like this is targeting a very small market otherwise.
#4
Quote:
At $500, I don't understand why they just didn't give it phone capabilities. I feel like this is targeting a very small market otherwise.
You nailed it on the dot! What target market were they even thinking about reaching? The camera specs are what you'd expect for a standard 16.1MP in fact the camera portion itself is similar to a Samsung DV300F. It can do 1080p but only at 30fps, shutter speed is the same as DV300F; the touch screen is better quality at least and it comes with a Quad-core proc, but then for the price they will be asking, you may as well get a Nexus 10, or Galaxy Note II.

Overall this idea is just meh.
#5
Originally posted by Mysttic:
then for the price they will be asking, you may as well get a Nexus 10, or Galaxy Note II.

i see your points but nexus 10 or galaxy note II cam PQ will never match that of a dedicated P&S like this like PQ of P&S never matches that of a D-SLR.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Nov 2012 @ 22:05

ASUS G73JW | Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5GB | OCZ 120GB SSD + Seagate 500GB Hybrid 7200rpm | 17.3" FHD/3D | Blu-ray Write | Win7Pro64
#6
As long as you have wi-fi/data connectivity, you can just get a free Google phone number.
#7
Originally posted by Morreale:
Originally posted by Bozobub:
With Skype or other VOIP, yes.
Any service for text messaging?

At $500, I don't understand why they just didn't give it phone capabilities. I feel like this is targeting a very small market otherwise.
I might as well be a phone for what features they have. With Skype on it, it can be used as a broadband video caller, so why the hell not?

Chance prepares the favored mind. Look up once in a while and you might learn something. - BLUEBOY
#8
Originally posted by Morreale:
But you can't make calls from it?
Haha, I actually thought you were joking initially but apparently not.

It's neat and people will buy it but it's obviously a bit of a gimmicky product and there's no need for it (although I don't really see the need for a separate point-and-shoot camera anymore, but this seems like the logical direction for them to take).


#9
Originally posted by cyprusrom:
As long as you have wi-fi/data connectivity, you can just get a free Google phone number.
Too many loops to jump through as a Canadian for the service.

Originally posted by Ripper:
Originally posted by Morreale:
But you can't make calls from it?
Haha, I actually thought you were joking initially but apparently not.

It's neat and people will buy it but it's obviously a bit of a gimmicky product and there's no need for it (although I don't really see the need for a separate point-and-shoot camera anymore, but this seems like the logical direction for them to take).
Well I assumed the answer would be no, or through VoIP, but thought I'd press anyways... I've always wanted a phone with a camera similar to that of a point-and-shoot, or at least one with an optical zoom. The camera is probably the most used feature on my phone. I was excited with the Nokia 808 PureView but its too expensive and limited as a smartphone for me to consider. This Samsung fits even better, but with no real phone functionality and such a high price for an otherwise mediocre point-and-shoot is nothing but a disappointment.

Some phones have great cameras as they are, but a real optical zoom would be nice. Most do poorly in low light conditions. My HD2 had a great camera, despite being all hacked up with Android, but my current Galaxy Nexus is nothing but shit to say the least.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Nov 2012 @ 2:03

*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****
#10
Quote:
This Samsung fits even better, but with no real phone functionality and such a high price for an otherwise mediocre point-and-shoot is nothing but a disappointment.
I think that is the crux of the matter really, phone or no phone.


This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.