AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Google announces expansion of their 'Google Fiber' project

news article released on:

Google will expand their Google Fiber service to new cities in 2013. The roadmap for the next five "fiberhoods" in Kansas City have been unveiled by the search giant, who will all get access to the extremely fast gigabit network. Schedule via Crunch: Piper Schools -- choose your plan by January 31, 2013 Delaware Ridge -- choose your plan by February 14, 2013 Painted Hills -- ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 20 messages.

As much as I am not a fan of Google I would take the internet package. When is it coming to Chicagoland

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.67Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon 5770HD, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2TB Additional HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices
▼▼ This topic has 19 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
I pay $70 now a month for 10M.... oh ya and a bandwidth cap..
Yea, when is CHICAGO next, Google?!?

I'm TIRED of the same ol Comca$t or AT&T crap.
Show us some love in the Quad Cities!
5 GB a second for only $200.00 up front (and free afterwards)????

Not even Comca$t can top that......
I would pay 2 grand up front in a heartbeat for an internet connection run by Google. Unfortunately that seems like it might not happen in the next decade, not that I blame them.

Go Google.
Hey, um, Google? Any word as to when you're bringing that by San Diego? (hopefully, very soon)

$120 here, with less HD channels and 15Mb/2mb. Wish there was some initiate to get the country to rerun all teleco lines with fiber...

Also the "cheapest" doesn't sound so cheap. $300 is a lot of money for those that can't afford basic TV/internet. They could throw in 1 of the 8Gb Nexus 7's they got left over, I'm sure there are just stacks of them in some google back room.

Or maybe even turn it into a charity cause for the poor. Schools could donate them to families and give them to kids with a promise to use it for school work. Add some grade tracking apps, and it could be used as an incentive to get good grades.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Dec 2012 @ 13:29
Originally posted by Qliphah:
$120 here, with less HD channels and 15Mb/2mb. Wish there was some initiate to get the country to rerun all teleco lines with fiber...

Also the "cheapest" doesn't sound so cheap. $300 is a lot of money for those that can't afford basic TV/internet. They could throw in 1 of the 8Gb Nexus 7's they got left over, I'm sure there are just stacks of them in some google back room.

Or maybe even turn it into a charity cause for the poor. Schools could donate them to families and give them to kids with a promise to use it for school work. Add some grade tracking apps, and it could be used as an incentive to get good grades.
$300 is for the 5MBs internet only package and if that is for 7 years of service that is like $3.60 a month for internet speeds that normally cost $30 - $40 a month.

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.67Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon 5770HD, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2TB Additional HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices
Originally posted by bobiroc:

$300 is for the 5MBs internet only package and if that is for 7 years of service that is like $3.60 a month for internet speeds that normally cost $30 - $40 a month.

True but the upfront cost is difficult for poor families to justify. Also most of them wouldn't have a tablet, maybe a PC, but providing them a means to use the internet would help offset $300. I would say $300 for 5 years with a 7" tablet would be a better offer.
free internet for $300 bring it to UK ill take it xD
Yep, hurry up and roll it out nationwide in the UK please Google (preferably at some point in my lifetime).

Originally posted by bobiroc:
As much as I am not a fan of Google I would take the internet package. When is it coming to Chicagoland
If Google expands outside of Kansas or Missouri they'll probably follow a similar path (i.e. which place gives them the most leeway to how the fiber is laid).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2012 @ 20:42

"The only people who should buy Monster cable are people who light cigars with Benjamins." - Gizmodo
On their google fiber website, it says a 1 time construction fee of $300, or $25/mo for 12 months.

Do want here in the D.
Damn Google, what about your home boys in the bay area????
Originally posted by ivymike:

What are you, blind? It never stated any of that.

This is superman
bobp100 Unverified new user
Originally posted by sundance:
Damn Google, what about your home boys in the bay area????
True Dat
TheWiseOne Unverified new user
Originally posted by ivymike:

5 megabits (not megabites)up and down a second, for 300 bucks up front. (Or 25$ for 12 months)The plan you want is the 120 dollar plan.
TheWiseOne Unverified new user
Originally posted by Qliphah:

Most services are like 100 bucks a MONTH. This is one payment of 300 bucks. Anyone who get Google Fiber TV probably has an HDTV. These prices are insanely good.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.