1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subtitles will not appear after using avi demux 2.4

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by potherb, Feb 2, 2013.

1. potherb

potherb Member

Hi,
    I need help because I am losing my will to live. I have been trying to add .srt subtitles to an
    avi file using avi demux 2.4. I have been trying for several hours to no avail. I have followed the afterdawn guide to the letter but they still won't appear . It says it is saving the file and so it does but does not save the subtitles. The guide says make sure you have everything on copy which I have done still nothing. This program is great as it only takes around 3 minutes but virtualdub takes over 2 hours. anyway I have been trawling the internet and found an article which said it won't work if you copy you HAVE to re encode
    but your guide doesn't say that. Please anyone put me out of misery I must have 10 files of the same film now all the same ie no subs which I am going to delete now in anticipation of a lifeline being forthcoming.

2. attar

attar Senior member

AviAddXSubs will mux .srt subs to an avi file.
    There is no re-encoding and it's fast.
    You end up with subs that can be turned on/off using the remote on a standalone player.
    Note that these subs are not viewable on a PC using most PC media players.

http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php

If the subs have to be permanent, ie burned into the video, then yes it takes longer and you have to use the likes of VDub or AviDemux.

3. potherb

potherb Member

Hi Attar,
    Thanks for getting back to me. The fact is I do want to burn them to dvd so it looks like I am stuck with vdub or avi demux after all and probably re-ncoding then

4. attar

attar Senior member

To be clear, you want to have permanent subs burned into the video? - just for my information, why?

5. potherb

potherb Member

hi,
    its for a friend and she just wants the dvd to play without having to switch on or off
    subtitles as she is not to tech savie. icidentaly I have managed to do it in the past with vdub, i thought that was the norm.but i will have a look at the program you suggested
    and give it a whirl . thanks

6. attar

attar Senior member

If you author a DVD movie with the subtitles, you can use the likes of DVDSubEdit to flag them as 'Forced' subs.
    The way it works is if your standalone player audio is set for 'English', and the forced subs in the DVD are flagged as 'English', the subs will play automatically without being selected with the remote - like the Klingon speech in Star Trek.

7. potherb

potherb Member

Ok Attar,

Thanks for the heads up I will try some of your suggestions out and let you know how I get on (maybe a few days though)