AfterDawn Forums
These messages are comments to this news item:

Next Xbox requires Internet connection, blocks used games?

news article released on:

No used games on next Xbox? A report from Edge Online, citing sources with first hand experience of Microsoft's next generation Xbox console, suggests that the anticipated console will not allow used games. Even though games will be sold in physical form, they will come with activation codes that are useless beyond the initial user. The report also says that the new Xbox will require ...

Read full article

This discussion thread has 49 messages.

I'd love to see a head line like... "Consumers stand up for rights, voting by refusing XB0x purchase" :)
▼▼ This topic has 48 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
djhhjjd Unverified new user
Originally posted by SomeBozo:
I'd love to see a head line like... "Consumers stand up for rights, voting by refusing XB0x purchase" :)
Is Like they dont want people buying it...thats some scary info for the new xbox or whatever that can be called ewww
cornyjoe Unverified new user
XBOX isn't the only console doing away with used games,.... PS4 will also feature this neato technology
are they trying to encourage people to hack their new machines?

I think any console maker that blocks used games is probably shooting themselves in the foot somewhat as it just motivates people to exploit their console so it can play used games...

*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****
big no
No. If this is true, I will NOT buy it. Ever. I'm hoping to get an Ouya and I'll take that and my 360 over the next Xbox.
I agree that a no used games "feature" will hurt both Microsoft and Sony if the two manufacturers choose to implement it. I suspect that the higher ups (who don't play games) made this decision to improve profitability.

Saying that people will just hack the consoles is not a valid argument. After all, the PS3 is over 6 years old and there still isn't a good hack available. In order to hack a PS3 you need hardware to downgrade and then install custom firmware. Not something the average user will do.
I will be getting an ouya as well and pc game if i need a newer game. I had decided in the last year consoles are dead outside of a $100 investment.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S.T.
Quote:
PS4 will also feature this neato technology
Not necessarily, all Sony did so far was trademark it so anyone else who did do this would have to pay them royalties. It hasn't been confirmed yes or no yet for MS either, so if they are considering this, there is still time to change their (each company's) minds.

Should either or both do it, the victor goes to the console maker who doesn't; the public would not stand for this intrusion. Should be an interesting gaming generation, that's for sure.
Originally posted by aw2600:
I agree that a no used games "feature" will hurt both Microsoft and Sony if the two manufacturers choose to implement it. I suspect that the higher ups (who don't play games) made this decision to improve profitability.

Saying that people will just hack the consoles is not a valid argument. After all, the PS3 is over 6 years old and there still isn't a good hack available. In order to hack a PS3 you need hardware to downgrade and then install custom firmware. Not something the average user will do.
Just want to correct you on this, the PS3 is fully hacked up to 4.31 without the need to downgrade with new cfw coming out every week. All new games are playable, including Dead Space 3 which we had before it was even released.

On the main subject this is such a stupid move, I wrote the same thing when there was rumors of Playstation doing this. This would kill a huge margin of their userbase, most people are just not going to shell out $60+ on a game they can beat in 6 hours. Then on top of that can't turn around and sell or trade it in, it's just not feasible. Gamestop is already in the process of closing 500 stores and this would be the final nail in the coffin..........
Speedpocket Unverified new user
They are not thinking about the times when the console would need repairs ((warranty or not warranty)). The system would be reset and now YOU would have to purchase ALL the games AGAIN!!!!

Perhaps they should just stop making the OLD game CDs and just stick to online purchasing / downloads to the hard drive.
Originally posted by Bigwillyz:
Just want to correct you on this, the PS3 is fully hacked up to 4.31 without the need to downgrade with new cfw coming out every week. All new games are playable, including Dead Space 3 which we had before it was even released.
Care to point a member to a site that has more details? (If this doesn't violate AfterDawn policy.) In all honesty I'm not likely to hack my PS3. I'd just love to know how the process works.
Originally posted by Speedpocket:
They are not thinking about the times when the console would need repairs ((warranty or not warranty)). The system would be reset and now YOU would have to purchase ALL the games AGAIN!!!!

Perhaps they should just stop making the OLD game CDs and just stick to online purchasing / downloads to the hard drive.
I am sure there would be a digital certificate that follows your account not the system and your account can only be activated on a number of devices. Those devices would be allowed to play the games you have purchased. Similar to how the xbox allows you to dl a game to your hdd but you have to put the disc in to allow it to be played as a way to show u still have it. Consoles are still on their way out. There is a paradigm shift occurring in games, one from an old archetype to a new frontier that will consumers more in the drivers seat. I would bet soon games will be produced by average consumers and put on sites like youtube for anyone to play. Call it yougame. I am on to something here.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S.T.
So the games will basically be 60 dollar rentals that you don't have to return. If this is indeed true, there won't be one in this house. Unfortunately, there are probably enough idiots that would buy one regardless of this.
Well that's two consoles I won't have to worry about buying.

Unless it comes direct from the console maker all rumors are to be ignored until proven otherwise

AD Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com guides/
Console Mod Tuts: http://www.realmodscene.com/

Pretty much following with the Windows 8 paradigm. Lock into the "store" and make anything else quite difficult or impossible.

This is the same thing behind the push to "mobile". A "Computer" can be made to do whatever you can imagine. A "mobile" device can only do that which is approved by the manufacturer.

This is all about control and is much bigger than just the gaming industry.

Oh, Im sorry... Did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?
SmaryJerry Unverified new user
Originally posted by Morreale:
I think any console maker that blocks used games is probably shooting themselves in the foot somewhat as it just motivates people to exploit their console so it can play used games...
Steam is actually much worse when it comes to being able to transfer games and they have a huge following of people who love them because they can buy $5 games on sale for $3 or 2 year old games on sale for half price. Steam is coming out with a console and Xbox is looking at ways to get the same advatage that steam has somehow managed to get. Summary, they will not shoot themselves in the foot because Steam already does this profitably to PC games (soon to be a console aswell).
I don't really see them doing this, because blocking 3rd party resale has already been held to be illegal in the EU. I don't see any sane console maker kissing all of Europe goodbye.

But M$ has stepped on their collective dong often enough in the past, so *shrug* who knows?
Quote:
I don't really see them doing this, because blocking 3rd party resale has already been held to be illegal in the EU. I don't see any sane console maker kissing all of Europe goodbye.

But M$ has stepped on their collective dong often enough in the past, so *shrug* who knows?
MS may leave the DRM out for European consoles; and just have it for Americans. Should be interesting how this plays out, from backlash to praise (cause you know some developers would praise this move).
Isn't it up to the Game maker & the software they choose to use?

Highlighting this as a Microsoft/Xbox thing is wrong in my view, they would all do it if they could
(isn't his true of some PC games now? I fully expect the Sony platform to have the same ability....again whether devs choose to use it is surely up to them?).

Hopefully the EU decision has banjaxxed this in Europe before it even begins, whatever else they do in other territories.
Originally posted by aw2600:
Originally posted by Bigwillyz:
Care to point a member to a site that has more details? (If this doesn't violate AfterDawn policy.) In all honesty I'm not likely to hack my PS3. I'd just love to know how the process works.

Yeah of course, always willing to help a fellow gamer. Check out PSX-Scene and PS3hax, they both keep you up to date on everything related to the scene daily
well the used game thing sucks we all know that, but IF we can put an xbox game in now and make the xbox THINK the game is a retail game, then we WILL be able to make the new xbox thing its a new game. maybe not on xbox live.

oh yea an another thing on this, WHAT THE FUCK.. you will HAVE to have internet on at all times to play????? what about those who DONT have internet,. or can only have dial up, or satalite. satalite internet is NOT unlimited, and will eat up bandwidth.

im very glad m$ thought all this through.

I wont buy one i know that, not until it can be hacked. not everyone has the money to drop on brand new games, I rent alot of games before i buy them, if i dont like it, im only out 4 dallors.
there forcing us to pay full retail for EVERY game you want to play.
thats how we get screwed,

so dont be supirsed when the system gets hacked and the pirating of games is so huge they cant control it anymore.

For Sale:

Parachute, Used Once, never opened small stain.
Best Offer!
well the used game thing sucks we all know that, but IF we can put an xbox game in now and make the xbox THINK the game is a retail game, then we WILL be able to make the new xbox thing its a new game. maybe not on xbox live.

oh yea an another thing on this, WHAT THE FUCK.. you will HAVE to have internet on at all times to play????? what about those who DONT have internet,. or can only have dial up, or satalite. satalite internet is NOT unlimited, and will eat up bandwidth.

im very glad m$ thought all this through.

I wont buy one i know that, not until it can be hacked. not everyone has the money to drop on brand new games, I rent alot of games before i buy them, if i dont like it, im only out 4 dallors.
there forcing us to pay full retail for EVERY game you want to play.
thats how we get screwed,

so dont be supirsed when the system gets hacked and the pirating of games is so huge they cant control it anymore.

For Sale:

Parachute, Used Once, never opened small stain.
Best Offer!
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.