AfterDawn: Tech news

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is official with 5-inch 1080p display, 13MP camera, Cat 3 LTE, eye-tracking features

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 14 Mar 2013 10:01 User comments (25)

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is official with 5-inch 1080p display, 13MP camera, Cat 3 LTE, eye-tracking features Samsung unveiled its highly-anticipated flagship, the Galaxy S4, during a long and extremely strange event in NYC tonight.
While there was little announced that had not already been leaked in the past few weeks, the company's latest includes a number of very innovate new features including eye tracking.

From a design standpoint, the phone looks almost identical to the Galaxy S III, except with a larger screen.

As expected, the phone has a 5-inch 1080p super AMOLED display with 441ppi. The screen is also protected by Corning's latest Gorilla Glass 3 and can be used with gloves thanks to "mitten tech." Under the hood the phone is powered by a Samsung Exynos 5 (international) or Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro (North America), has 2GB RAM, 16-64GB of internal storage, a microSD slot, a removable 2600 mAh battery, 100 Mbps Cat 3 LTE, Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11ac Wi-Fi. The device also has an IR blaster, turning it into a full remote control. The device is a thin 7.9mm.

The rear camera is 13-megapixel camera while the front camera is 2-megapixels. One feature Samsung touted was its "Dual Camera" mode, which allows you to take shots with the front and back at the same time and then integrate both into a single scene.

Samsung says the phone will launch with Android 4.2.2, with the company's own TouchWiz UX overlay. A few of the highly touted eye-tracking features include "Smart Pause," which pauses video you are watching when you look away (resuming when you look back) and "Smart Scroll," which allows you to move through your emails or a web page just through your eye movements.

Adding to the plethora of new features, Samsung showed off S Voice Drive (voice commands while driving), Optical Reader (an OCR scanner for business cards including actions such as translation), WatchOn (for turning the phone into a live guide for TV viewing), and S Health (a full fitness tracker).

Starting next month, the phone will be available on 327 mobile operators. There was no word on price.

Previous Next  

25 user comments

115.3.2013 01:16

the only reasons to get note II over this are 5.55" screen and 3100 mAh battery. given 441 ppi of s4, the little larger screen in note II may not matter though. only extra battery juice may make me buy note II (and, obviously, less cost)!

215.3.2013 01:57

Why are there separate World and North American versions again?

315.3.2013 02:38

lol > Smart eye Scrolling email or web-pages ....as eye-rolling?

415.3.2013 02:49

Nice Post...

515.3.2013 06:56

Originally posted by Morreale:
maybe to balance the production lines

615.3.2013 07:10

Looks like a beefed up version of the S3. Too many "smart" features doesn't really help me. Eventually they will catch up to me and cause me more troubles rather than convenience. I'm all for this great phone and all but I just can't get over the fact that they tried to cram 5 inches of space into the same (almost) shell of the S3. The S3 already causes massive battery drainage and adding a 1080p 5inch screen is going to cause a lot of dead phones!

I'm anxious about the customer reviews...

715.3.2013 08:17

Originally posted by PraisesToAllah:
The S3 already causes massive battery drainage and adding a 1080p 5inch screen is going to cause a lot of dead phones!

we 1st need to see talk/standby time, then we may know. to me, this is of concern, too since note II has 3100 mAh.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2013 @ 8:17

815.3.2013 08:48

That's nothing, just wait until Apple bring out their new phone with.... erm.... hold on.... Ah, a new weather app.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2013 @ 9:09

915.3.2013 08:51

if only the design was different...

1015.3.2013 09:10

Removeable battery!!! thank the gods!!!!

1115.3.2013 09:13

Originally posted by PraisesToAllah:
Looks like a beefed up version of the S3. Too many "smart" features doesn't really help me. Eventually they will catch up to me and cause me more troubles rather than convenience. I'm all for this great phone and all but I just can't get over the fact that they tried to cram 5 inches of space into the same (almost) shell of the S3. The S3 already causes massive battery drainage and adding a 1080p 5inch screen is going to cause a lot of dead phones!

I'm anxious about the customer reviews...
Really, I just use the standard battery in the S3 and it lasts all day even a few days.

I don't really bother with games and crap though but it's always left on 24/7 maybe rebooted once a month.

1215.3.2013 10:49

I think I rather roll with the Galaxy note II. Nice phone though.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2013 @ 10:56

1315.3.2013 10:53

Originally posted by Morreale:
CDMA/GSM and other radio related frequency stuff, I assume.

1415.3.2013 12:51

Quote:
Under the hood the phone is powered by a Samsung Exynos 5 (international) or Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro (North America)

Why? And what's the difference with performance?

I don't buy that "CDMA/GSM" reason btw.

------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Mar 2013 @ 12:52

1515.3.2013 13:01

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Why?
I see there's 2 versions

Quote:
it packs 2GB RAM and will come with either a 1.6GHz Exynos Octa-core chip or a 1.9GHz quad-core Qualcomm, depending on your region.
The big battery is nice and features like the real time voice translation is very cool.

1615.3.2013 13:18

Originally posted by Mrguss:
lol > Smart eye Scrolling email or web-pages ....as eye-rolling?
Come on, it's not a bad thing... Worse case, you turn it off :-) This can be very helpful to the straphangers.

1715.3.2013 19:19

It looks awesome to me. I have the S3 so I doubt I will get an S4 for some time, but I would love to have the IR blaster. Talk about the possibilities as a universal remote without needing some kind of wifi remote desktop type app. Basically the same size but a bigger screen is also cool. Bigger battery is nice. Mine lasts all day anyway even with fairly heavy use but more is always better.

1816.3.2013 00:35

I wonder if the screen will crack if I drop it on the pavement like my S3. I remember how I dropped the original galaxy a million times and the screen never cracked but I dropped the S3 once and it was done.
I'll wait for the S5 hopefully we will have solar batteries then.

1916.3.2013 02:19

Originally posted by Steel-Ice:
I wonder if the screen will crack if I drop it on the pavement like my S3. I remember how I dropped the original galaxy a million times and the screen never cracked but I dropped the S3 once and it was done.
I'll wait for the S5 hopefully we will have solar batteries then.
I know what you mean I've seen cracked ones, but this says it's meant to be "Corning's latest Gorilla Glass 3" so who knows? It may only be a slight improvement. Maybe dropping it on it's edge will be just as bad as before. I don't reckon Apple offer anything tougher, do they?

2016.3.2013 10:24

Put it in a protective case.
Jeez you spend £500/$800 on a phone & trust to luck?!

2116.3.2013 12:17

I a want protective case made out of depleted uranium.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2013 @ 11:04

2216.3.2013 18:18

Corning's Gorilla Glass is over-hyped. I've seen S3s with scratches and the owners never dropped them. Just wear and tear from jeans I guess. Dropping your phone on the side will do the most damage because there is less surface area and more impact. Dropping it on the front or back will cause less impact since there is more surface area. This is all assuming the ground is flat.

The Corning Gorilla Glass 3 is more flexible and stronger than its 2nd generation. But get a skin for your phone or nice edge slip covers with a screen protector. No need for a bulky case.

2316.3.2013 23:15

Glass is actually stronger than steel. It is teeny-weeny itty-bitty micro-scratches or flaws on the surface that you can't see that cause it to become fragile or brittle.

2517.3.2013 20:17

Originally posted by Ripper:
RE Gorilla Glass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNM-1HPZ5uI
It does not seem to take much to break GG2. So are you backing the Rhino Shield on KS then?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Mar 2013 @ 8:18

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive