AfterDawn: Tech news

Bloomberg: Samsung building smartwatch to once again beat Apple to the punch

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 19 Mar 2013 8:28 User comments (18)

Bloomberg: Samsung building smartwatch to once again beat Apple to the punch

According to Bloomberg, the rumors are correct, Samsung is actively developing a smartwatch to once again beat Apple to the punch.
Apple has long been rumored to be developing an iWatch, wearable technology that syncs with your iOS device, includes fitness features and can possibly even make and receive phone calls. However, the company has never confirmed and there is no word on a possible release date.

"We've been preparing the watch product for so long," Lee Young Hee, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile business, said during an interview. "We are working very hard to get ready for it. We are preparing products for the future, and the watch is definitely one of them."

There were little other details revealed, so it is unclear what features a Galaxy watch may include or when it will go on sale.

Previous Next  

18 user comments

119.3.2013 20:59

Didn't see this coming. :)

219.3.2013 23:44

First the phone. Then glasses and watches. What is next...Socks?

319.3.2013 23:46

Originally posted by PraisesToAllah:
First the phone. Then glasses and watches. What is next...Socks?
Rings.

...Then fingernail ornaments.

420.3.2013 03:01

Then iShoes

520.3.2013 04:18

Interesting though, the claims Apple are out of idea's but Samsung seem to be copying them (Except the Samsung will have more hardware in that serves little purpose).

I realise this comment is a massive risk on here with all you Apple haters. But, what the hell, you may as well get your fill.

620.3.2013 05:13

Originally posted by bloke2000:
Interesting though, the claims Apple are out of idea's but Samsung seem to be copying them (Except the Samsung will have more hardware in that serves little purpose).

I realise this comment is a massive risk on here with all you Apple haters. But, what the hell, you may as well get your fill.

I just think Apple is overpriced.

But what makes you think they stole the idea from Apple? Why, because they've obviously been lying about having been working on one already? They are already out there, have been for years, just really crappy. Besides, Dick Tracy popularised it ages ago. I would have thought a smart phone watch would have been obvious... sorry.

EDIT: Smart toe rings.

EDIT EDIT: I think there are rings for mouse control.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Mar 2013 @ 5:17

720.3.2013 08:42

I'm guessing that Apple approached Samsung quite some time ago about manufacturing the screens for the iwatch, but since Apple decided to sue Samsung for loads, I guess this is Samsung getting their own back?

820.3.2013 09:03

Apple is a bunch of whiny bitches, just look at what their guy said the other other day in defense of the Galaxy stomping the Iphone. It sounded like a child arguing over a toy "no our phone is better", his "facts" were all fabricated. I may not like what Apple stands for but I'm not being a hater right now, it's actually what was said. Now it looks like it's happening again "no we came out with the smart watch 1st". Come on if you have such a good product, beat them in the market, not sue every time you lose. Just stating the obvious........

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Mar 2013 @ 12:29

920.3.2013 09:45

Lol at "winey(sic) bitches".

They need to invent "Smart Suppositories" for the butthurt. :D

1020.3.2013 12:23

*cough* iSuppository? iStool? iPoop?

Sorry, literally unable to resist ^^' .

1120.3.2013 12:51

Originally posted by Bozobub:
*cough* iSuppository? iStool? iPoop?

Sorry, literally unable to resist ^^' .
There is no resistance to iPoop! :P

1220.3.2013 19:16
Hacker7
Unverified new user

just watch these watches are going to be the next hot item ! dont doubt me !~!

1320.3.2013 20:10

Is this like pebble or is it it's own independent piece that doesn't directly communicate with a phone so much as just runs its own shit?

1420.3.2013 21:53

Originally posted by Tazer247:
Is this like pebble or is it it's own independent piece that doesn't directly communicate with a phone so much as just runs its own shit?
No-one is sure.

1520.3.2013 22:04

Ipoop is like the Numi toilet that comes with its own tablet interface. It's stereo setup sends subliminal messages to turn you into another mindless Apple drone. Also don't forget with Ipoop your shit doesn't stink

1620.3.2013 22:55

Originally posted by Bigwillyz:
Ipoop is like the Numi toilet that comes with its own tablet interface. It's stereo setup sends subliminal messages to turn you into another mindless Apple drone. Also don't forget with Ipoop your shit doesn't stink
Unless you download the Krishna app were it smells like roses and everyone can smell it from 500 miles away!

(A favourite with politicians and plutocrats.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Mar 2013 @ 10:57

1726.3.2013 20:27

samgsungs first big flop, a smart watch... lol

I look at my watch i know what time it is, what now i need a smart voice to tell me what time it is lol. whats so "smart" about it. its like the smart car, its small, thats it, so whats so SMART about it. ( and dont say better on gas ) thats not a smart car. if thats the only reason they call it smart, thats also gay.

1828.3.2013 16:58

Originally posted by 1nsan3:
its like the smart car, its small, thats it, so whats so SMART about it. ( and dont say better on gas ) thats not a smart car. if thats the only reason they call it smart, thats also gay.
Smart is a brand name (for the car), like mustang, which clearly isn't a horse.
Lol

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive