1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

linux mint

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by rtrg, Mar 25, 2013.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Can someone tell me how to download a desktop background from a third party site and install it onto the LINUX desktop? Also how do I open, and install the many included programs such as FIRE FOX and move the icon to the desktop? As well as third party programs? For XP this is easy for LINUX it is a mystery to me. I am looking for an XP LOOK AND FEEL for my desktop towers. So far the only thing about LINUX I find usful is the fact that it can be installed on any HDD and used in any tower without activation. Not much if I cannot do the rest. Any solutions in step format would be nice.

2. keebles

keebles Regular member

http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/english_13.0.pdf

I have used fedora (not sure if it is similar to mint) for a long time, and in order to install an application you have to open up the Software Manager and type in the program that you wanted( it does a online search for the install files and when it finds them(if there is any)it will present them to you and have to select install. If the Program is not available for Linux, you can look online and see if it is compatible with "wine".
    http://www.winehq.org/

Wine or "Wine Is Not an Emulator" is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, Mac OSX, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Thanks. I will try that.