AfterDawn: Tech news

Ex-Sega engineer shows off prototype of never released 'Sega Pluto' console

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 21 Apr 2013 11:41 User comments (8)

Ex-Sega engineer shows off prototype of never released 'Sega Pluto' console

An ex-Sega engineer has shown off a "Sega Pluto" prototype console that was never released.
The console is a Sega Saturn in hardware and software, but also included a built-in NetLink 28.8k dial-up modem for Internet connectivity and online multiplayer.

There are only two Pluto models in existence, and the unit shown off is a fully functioning NTSC model.

Says the engineer, "After a good 14 years or so of sitting on this, I've decided it's time to share a little bit of Sega lore with those who would appreciate it most. Sega is a company with a history of turmoil. Employee turnover is a sad theme, and the Sonic Reaper (as we call him) strikes all too frequently. As such, the past gets forgotten quickly - treasures from the previous generation are quickly cast aside, as a new regime tries to make a name for themselves (or justify their existence).

"As such, some of said treasures get left on laid-off-peoples' desks. And in a beautiful twist of fate, this beauty ended up finding its way to my desk, and then in a box with the rest of my stuff when I left Sega. I was told that only two of these prototypes were made - and this is #2."

"This thing is a beast, and definitely the heaviest console I've ever held in my hands. Note that the logo still says Saturn, so I'm guessing the Pluto codename was simply that, and they were thinking of branding it with the Saturn name. (The logo is printed on production-style though, so I'm guessing they were fairly serious about this one.) The left and right sides feature beautiful-and-exotic vents, while the back is standard Saturn, save for the Netlink ports. The bottom has nothing of note except for the "PLUTO-02″ sticker (which is, of course, of note)."

Previous Next  

8 user comments

121.4.2013 12:51

I want I want I want.

221.4.2013 13:37

It's on Gamegavel.com right now for sale.

321.4.2013 21:06

This would look killer next to my Navi Saturn.

421.4.2013 21:12

I know it is useless and I know I hated my Saturn...but I still want it.

521.4.2013 23:09

Oh...I was expecting something they were working on after the Dreamcast, not just a Saturn w/ add-ons.

I wonder if there are any Atari Panther prototypes around...or the highly sought 1450XLD computer!

622.4.2013 15:25

Originally posted by KillerBug:
I know it is useless and I know I hated my Saturn...but I still want it.
i want too, but have you seen the price now, and what games would it play lol
http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000752122
not met its reserve, be interesting to see what it goes for
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Apr 2013 @ 3:27

722.4.2013 17:34

$7700 with reserve price NOT met. That's insane. I want it, but I don't want it $10k bad. Unless by miracle I win the lottery, but that's a miracle not made to happen.

BTW thank you to those that posted the link to the auction.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Apr 2013 @ 5:39

823.4.2013 10:04

Originally posted by xnonsuchx:
Oh...I was expecting something they were working on after the Dreamcast, not just a Saturn w/ add-ons
I imagine that there are some tasty prototype post-DC consoles somewhere.
Probably evenly split between Sega's people & Microsoft
(I think mk 1 Xbox shows us what was likely).

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive