1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software recommendations to edit MP4 video

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by swog, May 9, 2013.

1. swog

swog Member

I would appreciate your help in completing the following.
    I have a mpeg4 video file that runs for 50secs and is 80MG in size, I recorded the clip on my Smart phone and it plays in 720p. I cant recall if i held the phone Horizontal or vertical but i now need to do what i did with my photos ... flip the picture 90 degrees if that's possible. Just to make it clearer i was filming out of an aircraft window as another plane flew beneath us, left to right, but when i play it i watch the plane going straight up as does the horizon.
    I would also like to trim some time off each end if the software allowed this but i'd live without that if it effected the first request.

Any tips or links in completing this would also be useful. Fingers crossed.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try AviDemux.

If you only want to clip the video, set the left menu to Copy, Copy, MP4 Muxer.
    If you want to rotate as well (which requires a recode) set to MPEG4 AVC, Copy, MP4 Muxer.
    Click on the Video Filters button and select Rotate from the available filters.

[​IMG]

3. swog

swog Member

Thanks for your prompt reply, attar.
    Your recommendation and well set out description has made it look like something I can attempt.
    I'm downloading the software and giving it a go this morning. Hope to report a successful outcome later.

Many thanks again

4. swog

swog Member

I hope you can give me the final info i need, I've set out like in the image picking 270* but I
    cannot start the process off .... I'm looking for 'start' or similar.
    Its taken a few weeks to trim the clip to size so please go easy.

5. attar

attar Senior member

After you're satisfied, you click 'File' > 'Save' select a location and file name, e.g. new.mp4

6. swog

swog Member

I've set up as in your pic not altering any config settings, in the 'Filters' set 'Rotate' to 270*.
    Now I've trimmed the clip it's approx 22sec long, once I selected save I was expecting it to take a few minutes
    to process but immediately it finished with the following screen.

[​IMG]

The video saved was of zero size and obviously didn't play for any time.
    Can you shed any light on where the problem could be, thanks for your patience.

7. attar

attar Senior member

Are you able to load the original source and set the side menu copy, copy, mp4muxer (no filters being used) and save the file with a new name.
    If so, now select a ten second clip of the original source, leave the side menu as copy,copy,mp4muxer and save it.
    Then upload it to the likes of MediaFire and post the link.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  8. swog

swog Member

I can understand where your coming from now ... ruling out methods until reaching the required result.

You seem to learn more simply by trying different methods though the sheer permutations is daunting to begin with.
    I tried what you suggested but got the very same result then as I said earlier I trimmed the original 50s clip to 24s with
    another piece of software then progressed with AviDemux to rotate it with the ensuing problems.

By this stage with your help I'd become more familiar with the working of this software and had now found out how to trim the video, so installing the original clip I used your very first post and set up to complete both tasks with AviDemux. It progressed past the first second mark and short of 2min it said op complete. Nervously hitting play on the new clip it ran the correct way up and for 24s .... mission completed, 3 weeks down the line.

I dont claim to understand the workings of the SW just the fact that clipping the vid with one prog had a negative effect when it came to using the other and this came to light by following your instructions.

Many thanks 'attar' for seeing it through :)

9. attar

attar Senior member

Glad you figured it out.