AfterDawn: Tech news

UPDATE: The Nvidia Shield is now available for pre-order, three days early

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 17 May 2013 7:32 User comments (7)

UPDATE: The Nvidia Shield is now available for pre-order, three days early Last week we reported that the NVIDIA SHIELD "console" would be available for pre-orders through multiple retail partners starting on May 20.
Today, Nvidia has fast-tracked the launch, starting pre-orders three days early.

The 'console-grade' controller features a 720p display, powered by Tegra 4 and running Android. "SHIELD is the one device that taps into the planet's largest ecosystem of games -- spanning NVIDIA TegraZone, Google Play and Steam," NVIDIA's announcement reads. "Rediscover your Android games with the mobility, control and performance of SHIELD. Connect to your Google Play account to enjoy your favorite movies, music and apps."

NVIDIA SHIELD's specifications:
  • Tegra 4 – The world's fastest mobile processor delivers rich graphics and unbeatable performance thanks to 72 GPU cores, four CPU cores and 2GB of RAM
  • Console-grade controller – Precise control thanks to dual analog joysticks, a full-sized D-Pad, left and right analog triggers, full-sized bumpers and A/B/X/Y buttons
  • Multi-touch display – 5-inch, 720p retinal multi-touch display for high-fidelity visuals
  • Integrated speakers – Custom, bass reflex, tuned port audio system – we think this is SHIELD's sleeper feature
  • Wi-Fi802.11n 2X2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi for game streaming
  • Pure Android – Latest Android Jelly Bean operating system from Google, for access to Android games and apps
  • There's more – NVIDIA put into SHIELD everything we would want in a premium mobile gaming device: 16 GB memory, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, a mini-HDMI output, micro-USB 2.0, a microSD storage slot, a 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
View a complete spec sheet here.

SHIELD is also available through Newegg, GameStop, Micro Center and Canada Computers for $349.

Previous Next  

7 user comments

117.5.2013 21:47

The Holy Grail for long airline flights, no doubt; but at that price, it's a little hard to justify.

217.5.2013 21:54

Hopefully it'll flop and I can get one on the cheap afterwards... Looks like it'd be great for emulators.

317.5.2013 22:32

Hell no I'm not getting one at that price! Should be priced at least $100 less if it wants to remain competitive. Hell, we've got some tablets out there with a bigger screen size with the same amount of ram and have more memory at this price level. The only thing I see it going for it is the access to Steam and Google's ecosystem and other features that has nothing to do with gaming..

418.5.2013 11:00

The specs are great but the price!

518.5.2013 16:02

yea you will soon see the price drop dramatically. since you wont see alot of people playing it lol. Hell i can see this chewing up a battery in less than 2 hours.

but yea i wont touch one.

619.5.2013 01:42

That seems to be the general consensus... 'it's great... but who will bother?' It doesn't seem to fit any particular niche very well, it will allow you to remotely play your PC games over your home WiFi but how many care about that?... and the price!

Maybe it will take off.

Nvidia have bought into OUYA also... let's hope they improve for it's retail release what seems to be a poorly made controller by early accounts. (I haven't received mine yet btw.) Ah well, at least it's cheap.

724.5.2013 10:17

Completely unnecessary.. Grab yourself a nexus 7 and a Bluetooth controller and you will pretty much have the same thing for about $225 without the limitations. I have been gaming with a BT controller on my transformer prime now for a minute and it is pretty sweet for mobile gaming. Perhaps this piece of crap will push more developers to add gamepad support for their games since some of the best games like Modern Combat 4 need it....

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 May 2013 @ 10:19

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive