AfterDawn: Tech news

Kinect for Windows to launch next year

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 23 May 2013 11:28 User comments (24)

Kinect for Windows to launch next year

Microsoft has confirmed that its Kinect motion control sensor built for Windows machines will be released next year.
Kinect for Windows will use the same tech as the upcoming Kinect 2 for the Xbox One, including improved voice and gesture controls.

As part of the new system, Microsoft is introducing tech called Time-of-Flight, "which measures how long it takes for photons to bounce off a person or object" allowing for better accuracy.

Finally, new infrared should help with low-light situations.

"We're continuing our commitment to equipping businesses and organizations with the latest natural technology from Microsoft so that they, in turn, can develop and deploy innovative touch-free applications for their businesses and customers," Microsoft added. "A new Kinect for Windows sensor and software development kit (SDK) are core to that commitment."

Previous Next  

24 user comments

124.5.2013 10:38

Sorry, Microsoft. I'm not standing while using the computer.

224.5.2013 11:40

YOW! I knew this was gonna come on sale for the PC.

Next comes Xbox1 on your PC!

As I said it's NOT Google and Apple that some pundits have suggested but Steam that they have in their sights with the new Xbox system.

Now.... how are they gonna get around the ESRAM and bespoke data shunters in the X1 game code I wonder?

EDIT: That kind of suggests that AMD/Radian hardware will get a knock on effect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 May 2013 @ 11:50

324.5.2013 11:52

I really don't care! Why would I want this?

424.5.2013 12:02

I saw a video about a year ago from a Microsoft Dynamics partner convention. (Dynamics is Microsoft's ERP and CRM brand.) In the video they used Kinect to show how a salesperson in an electronics store could compare different models of TVs. The person running the demo stood on stage and "pushed" info onto a screen to show it side by side. It was the stupidest thing I have ever watched.

524.5.2013 12:02

Hmmm maybe this is how they are gonna make Windows 8 interface better???? LOL FAIL!!!

624.5.2013 12:07

For the kind of business and organisation uses MS is proposing Kinnect for Windows for I think the Leap Motion is a better option. Seems they are trying to get in before it's July 22nd release date.

Anyway you've got to see this (about $100):
http://blog.leapmotion.com/post/50933421954/windows-os-video
https://www.leapmotion.com/

It's tiny!

And yes I want one. :)

You could use it with a lap top.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 May 2013 @ 12:11

724.5.2013 12:26

Love it.

824.5.2013 13:30

Looks interesting.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 May 2013 @ 1:30

924.5.2013 14:44

And?

So what does this really mean, wait a year and get the Asus winblows 8 tablet and skip the crappy XBone?

Oh wait, I was never going to touch the XBone anyways. Just what I need, an (almost) always on console that lets M$ tech support watch and listen to me while I'm getting busy.

1024.5.2013 15:40

B/c Kinect have limitations (Blind spots at short distance) the new $69 Leap Motion can support Kinect.
VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHjVZkx8DM

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 May 2013 @ 3:48

1124.5.2013 18:55

Originally posted by Tarsellis:
Just what I need, an (almost) always on console that lets M$ tech support watch and listen to me while I'm getting busy.
Yeah, bound to happen.

Tell me, do the black helicopters of the UN track you too?

1225.5.2013 00:14

For its last three major products, (Kinect 1, Windows 8, Xbox One), Microsoft has said: "Here's something you don't want, don't need, and haven't asked for - now buy it!"

The crazy thing is that, after a billion dollar marketing campaign, some idiots do.

1325.5.2013 14:20

Originally posted by ScrewBot:
For its last three major products, (Kinect 1, Windows 8, Xbox One), Microsoft has said: "Here's something you don't want, don't need, and haven't asked for - now buy it!"

Umm, a new OS every few years might not be what you think people want but some do like the latest security & a faster and improved 'lighter' OS.
100 million sales of Win 8 are reported (same as Win 7 at this stage in its life).
Hardly unwanted.

I also think you're wrong about the latest gen consoles, they're long overdue in my opinion, how long would you wait?
Or are you basing your concrete criticisms on old leaks and speculation about what it might or might not do?

As for Kinect 1 I suggest you check out the family market (yes, I know, just like the Wii the self-styled gamers think they ought not be considered), loads of people - especially those with kids - loved it.
24 million sold so I'd say it's hardly fair to say it's "something you don't want, don't need, and haven't asked for".
Lots of people have been asking for it, especially as it the 360 doesn't have to come with it.

But then perhaps some people are so fixated on bashing anything Microsoft they seem to lose all objectivity and will believe any tale (so long as it's bad)?

Or maybe Microsoft shouldn't make new products at all?
Afterall if people haven't actually asked for it why would anyone make anything new?
A very silly argument in my opinion.

(and they have a reasonable history of listening to criticism & responding, something some companies are spectacularly bad at)

The crazy thing is that, after a billion dollar marketing campaign, some idiots do.

I know, shocking isn't it?
Those pesky people that just don't see things your way.
Yeah, they must all be "idiots"

Patronising & condescending, much?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 May 2013 @ 2:28

1425.5.2013 14:34

Originally posted by Interestx:

Umm, a new OS every few years might not be what you think people want but some do like the latest security & a faster and improved 'lighter' OS.
100 million sales of Win 8 are reported (same as Win 7 at this stage in its life).
Hardly unwanted.

I also think you're wrong about the latest gen consoles, they're long overdue in my opinion, how long would you wait?
Or are you basing your concrete criticisms on old leaks and speculation about what it might or might not do?

As for Kinect 1 I suggest you check out the family market (yes, I know, just like the Wii the self-styled gamers think they ought not be considered), loads of people - especially those with kids - loved it.
24 million sold so I'd say it's hardly fair to say it's "something you don't want, don't need, and haven't asked for".
Lots of people have been asking for it, especially as it the 360 doesn't have to come with it.

But then perhaps some people are so fixated on bashing anything Microsoft they seem to lose all objectivity and will believe any tale (so long as it's bad)?

Or maybe Microsoft shouldn't make new products at all?
Afterall if people haven't actually asked for it why would anyone make anything new?
A very silly argument in my opinion.

(and they have a reasonable history of listening to criticism & responding, something some companies are spectacularly bad at)

I know, shocking isn't it?
Those pesky people that just don't see things your way.
Yeah, they must all be "idiots"

Patronising & condescending, much?
- 24 million sold
Because it was bundled with some 360s
- Lots of people have been asking for it
lol source?
- Or maybe Microsoft shouldn't make new products at all?
Not video game products
- (and they have a reasonable history of listening to criticism & responding, something some companies are spectacularly bad at)
lol Not the xbox division

1525.5.2013 19:56

Sure, the Kinect one was the "best selling consumer product ever", so we're told, but I challenge you to name ONE excellent game released for it. Or how about one good game?
All right then, one half-way decent game?

100 Million Windows 8 sold? Everyone but you knows that this is a fudged-figure released by Microsoft.
According to "Usage share of operating systems" on Wikipedia, Win8 is at 3.82%, still less than Vista, and Win7 is at 44.72%.
No one at Microsoft can be happy about that.

Also consider the HUGE public backlash on the release of Windows 8 and Xbox One. Do you really think Microsoft wanted that? That it's part of their plan?

This just proves they have no understanding of their users anymore. If they gave us what we wanted, 80%+ of comments for Windows 8 and Xbox One would have complimentary.

As it is, both long-term Windows users and current Xbox owners are appalled.

1626.5.2013 08:01

Originally posted by bigwil450:
- 24 million sold
Because it was bundled with some 360s
You're dodging the point.
Xbpx 360 can be had (cheaper) without Kinect.
Therefore it's reasonable to say that at least some of those 24 million were deliberately choosing Kinect.

You prove otherwise, go on.

Lots of people have been asking for it
lol source?
See above.
You point is ridiculously unreasonable given that both the 250gb Xbox 360S & the 4gb model are on sale much cheaper without Kinect.

- Or maybe Microsoft shouldn't make new products at all?
Not video game products
Bha ha ha ha ha

,,,why, is it against the law or something?

- (and they have a reasonable history of listening to criticism & responding, something some companies are spectacularly bad at)
lol Not the xbox division
Rubbish, the 3 year warranty is a good example of them responding.
It ought to have become the industry standard but instead of the customers of the other console(s) pressing for similar they instead preferred to do the fanboy thing & bash Microsoft.
Way to hurt yourselves.

I challenge you to name ONE excellent game released for it. Or how about one good game?
All right then, one half-way decent game?
...and yet kids & families love it regardless of whether you do.

It's the same as self-styled 'hardcore' gamers completely failing to understand why the Wii sold so well.
It was got ludicrous they even made up all sorts of guff about it only being played for a little while & then put away.

100 Million Windows 8 sold? Everyone but you knows that this is a fudged-figure released by Microsoft.
Regardless of whether you like those numbers of not they are the same as Win 7 at this stage.
I presume you thought those ok?

According to "Usage share of operating systems" on Wikipedia, Win8 is at 3.82%, still less than Vista, and Win7 is at 44.72%.
No one at Microsoft can be happy about that.
Talk about cherry picking.
You left out

Quote:
with usage on a steady upward trajectory
Everyone knows (like Vista) Win 8 has its critics, and so what?

Like Vista it comes after a hugely successful OS (Win 7) and a lot of businesses & home users won't move (as happened with XP) until Win 9 or 10.
Unless they get a new PC with Win 8 already on it.

This is normal.

Also consider the HUGE public backlash on the release of Windows 8 and Xbox One. Do you really think Microsoft wanted that? That it's part of their plan?
See above.

I'd also say (as happened with Vista) people actually using it (especially after the first update) couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

This just proves they have no understanding of their users anymore. If they gave us what we wanted, 80%+ of comments for Windows 8 and Xbox One would have complimentary.
No.
All this shows is that they tried for something quite new that some people aren't ready for yet (combo'ing tablet & touch screen features into the PC world).

The update shows they listen & respond.

Which is just how a company should operate

As it is, both long-term Windows users and current Xbox owners are appalled.

Maybe in your head.
I know people who actually use Win 8 who prefer it to Win 7 (admittedly with 'Start 8') as it is lighter & faster than Win 7....and more secure too.

I also think you're nuts if you think lots of existing Xbox 360 owners are "appalled".

Most of us (the ones that I know at least) are awaiting the details before making our minds up.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 May 2013 @ 8:04

1726.5.2013 08:17

Dude, you are definitely in the minority.

1826.5.2013 08:25

And your desperate justifications for all Microsoft's fails are laughable. I used to like Microsoft, but now I recognize it is a company in terminal creative meltdown with no comprehension of who their users are or any concern about what their users want.

BTW, I LIKE the Wii, so my opinion is not some kind of hard-core-gamer elitism. And I love playing Wind Waker on the GameCube, though I'm usually found playing FPS on PC.

1926.5.2013 09:40

And your desperate justifications for all Microsoft's fails are laughable. I used to like Microsoft, but now I recognize it is a company in terminal creative meltdown with no comprehension of who their users are or any concern about what their users want.

You know the tragically funny part of this is I'm not actually "justifying" anything or anybody.

It's just boring reading the same old same old - and often they are the most absurd comments.

You claimed nobody wanted or needed their products.

Yet loads of people claim to want lighter, faster & more secure OSs...and despite your slanted commentary (cherry picking wiki above) you still can't get away from the fact that the numbers show Win 8 doing surprisingly well considering how well Win 7 did.

You say nobody wants or needs Kinect, well ok the 'need' part might not be so quantifiable but the want part (with 24 million sold when alternates without it are readily available & much cheaper) say other wise.

You also take it upon yourself to speak for 7o-something million Xbox 360 owners saying they don't want and, according to you, are 'appalled' by what they've seen so far.
Slightly conceited much?

...but yeah, I'm the laughable one, ok, whatever you say.

2026.5.2013 13:12

Hmmm, I got the impression that the pet tiger game with the Kinnect may have been ok for kiddies. And a friend used it for exercise but you need good lighting for that and he had a projector haha. But I personally found it a huge let down.

MS have a long term plan in mind with Win8. It's got to be said that it can't be compared to Vista imo because it's NOT slow. (Well, I find Vista frustratingly slow.) This is a big deal. It's meant to be faster and with apps like Shell8 very very similar to Win7. There's no telling what the updates for it will bring but I would not be surprised if the Start button etc. officially came back as an option. You've forgotten that bloody paper clip in XP and just how bad it originally was.

I repeat, no-one is disappointed in the performance of Win8 just it's execution.

The idea that the Win8 kernel and modded OS used in X1 is a bad thing is frankly laughable and spoken without any idea how comprehensive and developed the DirectX libraries are.

There are reasons to be pissed off about X1... Win8 isn't one of them.

2126.5.2013 13:28

Originally posted by Mrguss:
B/c Kinect have limitations (Blind spots at short distance) the new $69 Leap Motion can support Kinect.
VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHjVZkx8DM
That's great. Thanks mate.

2227.5.2013 07:10

Regarding the sales figures of windows 8, when most manufactures were told they could no longer ship with 7 and the customers has no choice than to purchased a system with windows 8 has helped with said sales figures... But what happens after that, everyone i know said what the hell is this and installed 7. As 8 doesnt work well as a business platform i know many IT companys and in house techs have been leveling the 8 install and deploying the standard 7 image to machines as they came in the door. Which is why said wiki figure above is likely so far detacted from sales figures. Honestly the only two improvements i like is the task manger and copy move dialogue, the rest of it i can happily leave. Its hysterical that ms looks like the blue updated for 8 will be paid for, when classic shell gave uses with no option to have a start button back and drop metro. Personally i would have considered windows 8 for media centre as metro here made some sense to me, that was right before i installed it and realised microsoft had just slapped in 7 media centre and most likely spent the time working on metro, cutting out the start button and not wanting to ever make media centre a serious contender for your tv over xb0x and its new pvr / media hub abilities. Same thing happened before with softsled and xbox working as an extender... And whilst we on the new xb0x lets just see how the entire no second hand games without a full retail price thing plays out, if sony are smart enough they wont follow suit, its most likely an practice thats going to see a lot of court action in the EU.

2327.5.2013 10:46

@ Plaz

Interesting and enlightening.

There's talk that the Xbox One might become platform independent given the way they've done the operating systems in it. What do to reckon, do you think they might sell a X1 kit for your PC in future?

2427.5.2013 18:17

Oh, I have no doubt, 75-95% of all "windows 8" sales are using the "downgrade" option to install windows 7. M$ wants sales to look good, so disallow A L L sales of windows 7. So you purchase a machine with a windows 8 license, and get OEM 7 installed, or the corp (my 5000 machine company) re-images to windows 7.

So far dozens of personal customers of mine have ended up with windows 8 through self purchases, or had it installed on them, and have asked me to "take this nonfunctional garbage off" and make their computers work again.

No, from all I see, a good 80% or more of "Windows 8" "sales" are OEM that are either never actually installed, or removed, and only exist because 7 has been removed from sales.

Sure, I've heard that 8 is less resource intensive, but practice has yet to display this, and it is F A R less functional.

Great chance for somebody else to finally come in. Unfortunately, I don't think ANY of these companies understand what customers want, and the powers that bee are sick of non-monthly-recurring software being distributed, so they will @$$ rape us until they win, and we pay more in 4 months for their licensing fees than we used to pay for new software released on a yearly basis.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive