AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft: We can reach 100 million Xbox 360 sales

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 24 May 2013 9:15 User comments (15)

Microsoft: We can reach 100 million Xbox 360 sales Microsoft has said today it believes that 25 million more Xbox 360s can be sold before the end of the console's life.
The company wants to hit 100 million, despite launching the new Xbox One later this year.

Currently, there has been an estimated 77 million consoles sold globally since launch in 2005.

Interactive Entertainment Business Senior VP Yusuf Mehdi says Microsoft has a 5 year plan for the 25 million consoles sold. This could be a possibility, of course, but not with current prices. If Microsoft were to drop the 360 to $99, that may change.

To get consumers excited, Microsoft is planning a "huge announcement" for E3 which should include a complete dashboard refresh but may include a new version of the hardware, as well.

In regards to the Xbox One, Mehdi says the focus on entertainment and TV could lead to over 300 million sales.

Previous Next  

15 user comments

124.5.2013 21:21

In other articles on different sites, sources claim they expect a forecasted 1 billion sales for Xbox One in it's lifespan.

To be honest until they properly address all the issues consumers are demanding answers to, I highly doubt that goal will come to fruition.

That said, Gameinformer reports that other people in the MS Channel claim that MS is taking a reverse stance on used game fees; and instead will have the unit verify the disc and disable it from the previous owner's Xbox One. The no fee is nice, but just be warned if you let a friend borrow a game; it will no longer work on yours.

224.5.2013 21:29

Sure since you cannot play 360 Games on the XBOX (DRM) One you have to get two consoles to do the job of one. Mo Money for the greedy.

324.5.2013 21:32

Originally posted by Mysttic:
In other articles on different sites, sources claim they expect a forecasted 1 billion sales for Xbox One in it's lifespan.

To be honest until they properly address all the issues consumers are demanding answers to, I highly doubt that goal will come to fruition.

That said, Gameinformer reports that other people in the MS Channel claim that MS is taking a reverse stance on used game fees; and instead will have the unit verify the disc and disable it from the previous owner's Xbox One. The no fee is nice, but just be warned if you let a friend borrow a game; it will no longer work on yours.
They should get rid of the fees all together, back off the constant on and monitoring what you do, and adopt a program kind of like what Amazon Premium does with their books where XBL Gold Members can loan out games to other XBL Gold for a short period (like 10 days or a couple weeks) for free.

424.5.2013 21:58

So true they will reach the goal if they hear us,we put Xbox in the world map.

525.5.2013 01:51

Of the 77 million sold so far.. How many work and how many have a red ring? just a question...

625.5.2013 02:18

Well one can only hope they certainly didn't care about the original xbox & those that bought them,tho there were plenty of games for it,thankfully the modders took care of that with chips, xbmc & emu software etc,sadly the 360 will be microsofts last console where its a gaming console first & everything else 2nd,this new box one looks like it's tv,movies & other crap first & gaming last,thankfully i decided a while ago the 360 would be my last console i'll ever buy apart from another jtag later in the year from here on in it's gaming computer "baby" & a 360 controller in place of keyboard & mouse..lol..

725.5.2013 07:23

Menion ,I think that the 3 red rings put Xbox in a doubt market but MS respond with warranties reparations and replacements for free and people views of MS as a reliable company.The question is what about the next system? even the green color is gone.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 May 2013 @ 7:24

825.5.2013 11:07

Once everyone sees how shitty the new xbox 1 is, they will come back and buy an xbox 360. Microsoft will have to stop making the xbox 360 in order to FORCE people to buy an xbox 1 lol.

then you will REALLY see ps4 sales shoot past the moon!!

Hell i will buy a few ps4s, because when they are out of stock i can make a few extra bucks lol.

the wii u is sucking right now, u watch, the xbox 1 will surpass the suckieness when it arrives lol. the wii u will look like a gold mine compared to the xbox 1.

925.5.2013 14:15

Regardless of how it works out at the end of the 360's production life it is a hell of an achievement for a late-comer to the console party going up against the companys that had produced the N64/Gamecube and the PS2.

Lots of speculative hate for Xbox One from some, but I guess that is only to be expected.
I'll bet it sells very well when people actually see it (and know the facts about it rather than the speculation).

1025.5.2013 15:26

can be difficult to reach this goal now that everybody is talking about XB one

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 May 2013 @ 3:29

1125.5.2013 15:26

Xbox shows an entertainment system first than a game console but who knows what Sony is going to show.

1225.5.2013 16:19

Originally posted by voyager:
can be difficult to reach this goal now that everybody is talking about XB one
I think it depends on future pricing.
If prices continue to fall I don't think another 20-ish million is out of reach.
PS2 proves the last gen can still do ok in the next.
I expect PS3 to do similar too.

Originally posted by voyager:
Xbox shows an entertainment system first than a game console but who knows what Sony is going to show.
Given the remarkable similarities I bet they are (again) very very similar to what they do on the TV in the home.

1325.5.2013 16:23

Question i got now is what can't the one do is it still going to implement external hdd size restrictions.still not going to play music in all or most popular formats & same with movies regardless if video_ts folders or mpg or mkv & are they going to finally dump that stupid fat format & use ntfs instead, wtf is with that

1426.5.2013 06:29

Originally posted by Menion:
Of the 77 million sold so far.. How many work and how many have a red ring? just a question...
I'd say it really 30 million at the most, you have people stop buying them after the 5th to 10th one stopped working after 12 months.

I had a guy tell me he bought an 360 without the HDD in it so it wasn't of use anyway.

MS only quote the sold amount not the actual in use amount which would be far lower than the sold amount due to all the problems.

1528.5.2013 08:49

lets see here a console that does the red rings of death and even worse rigs the consoles features so you have to pay for xbox live gold in order to use netflix and even internet explorer then on top of that this new console which is worthless in my opinion

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive