AfterDawn: Tech news

GameStop dropping 8GB Wii U Basic, according to report.

Written by James Delahunty @ 05 Jun 2013 10:08 User comments (8)

GameStop dropping 8GB Wii U Basic, according to report.

A Kotaku report suggests that GameStop will be dropping the Wii U Basic 8GB model from its retail stores over the next few weeks.
It cited a trusted retail source in reporting that retail GameStop stores were contacted with the following messages.

"Nintendo Wii U Basic Recall - Two Week Preparation On Tuesday, 6/18, all stories will need to return all new/unopened Wii U Basic (020359). .. Stores that have 10 or more in stock will receive shipping cartons from the [distribution center]. .. All other stores will need to save shipping cartons for this recall."
What's not clear is what the recall is about, whether it be due to a defect (which likely would be a full recall and not just new/unopened units) or if Nintendo has decided to drop it.

The 8GB pack costs about $300, while the better selling 32GB option goes for $350, and has reportedly been more successful from the start.

Nintendo is eyeing the E3 trade show this year to unveil more compelling games and offers, hoping to bring life to the console which has suffered a very poor start.

Tags: GameStop Wii U
Previous Next  

8 user comments

15.6.2013 17:01

I consider the 8Gb to be an insult to their customers. The system barely had enough room for games and didn't come with most of the controls and accessories needed for normal operation. The fact they're recalling it doesn't surprise me, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo not even release another console.

25.6.2013 19:50

It's been reported on other sites that Nintendo is not in fact dropping the basic model but has instead there been a shortage of supply.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/w...recall-imminent

35.6.2013 21:06

Originally posted by Qliphah:
I consider the 8Gb to be an insult to their customers. The system barely had enough room for games and didn't come with most of the controls and accessories needed for normal operation. The fact they're recalling it doesn't surprise me, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo not even release another console.
I will agree that 8GB of storage is very low but it has room for many eShop titles aside from the full Wii U games. Also USB Hard Drive support for up to 2TB a drive.

What I have a problem with is your claim it did not come with MOST of the controls or accessories. I am puzzled to what you could be referring to. It had the gamepad and HDMI cable along with the sensor and power cables to use the console right out of the box. I did not have the gamepad stand which is not a required accessory for operation.

If you are referring to the other controllers like WiiMotes and Pro controllers Nintendo made that clear that they didn't want to increase the cost of the console as the controllers from the Wii system work with the Wii U which would mean many people would have ended up with extra controllers that they didn't need or want to pay for.

45.6.2013 21:53

Originally posted by bobiroc:
Originally posted by Qliphah:
I will agree that 8GB of storage is very low but it has room for many eShop titles aside from the full Wii U games. Also USB Hard Drive support for up to 2TB a drive.

What I have a problem with is your claim it did not come with MOST of the controls or accessories. I am puzzled to what you could be referring to. It had the gamepad and HDMI cable along with the sensor and power cables to use the console right out of the box. I did not have the gamepad stand which is not a required accessory for operation.

If you are referring to the other controllers like WiiMotes and Pro controllers Nintendo made that clear that they didn't want to increase the cost of the console as the controllers from the Wii system work with the Wii U which would mean many people would have ended up with extra controllers that they didn't need or want to pay for.
8gb not enough for games from wii shop though... so you have to keep moving the vc games to the wiiu internal memory each time just to play the games and you can't move it to the hard drive , not even the game data(save point).

55.6.2013 22:09

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
8gb not enough for games from wii shop though... so you have to keep moving the vc games to the wiiu internal memory each time just to play the games and you can't move it to the hard drive , not even the game data(save point).
So far the Wii U Virtual Console Games have been 50MB each or less so that is pretty small. Some of the other games can be 500MB+ and the actual Wii U games can be many GB in size so yes 8GB is very low. For some people that may be enough but for most it is not. You can, however, store and play your games and save game data off of the USB hard drive because that is what I am doing now for the most part. I have a 1TB drive connected and using the data management moved most of the games off of the internal memory to the drive and I have no issue launching or playing those games.

It may keep the VC save points on the internal memory but I have not checked that. I have downloaded two full Wii U games that were 5 - 8GB in size each, a few eShop titles that are about 500MB to 1.2GB in size each and many VC games all saved on the USB hard drive.

I understand your point and I know the XB One will come with a 500GB Hard Drive but how fast will that fill up because even if you buy the game on disc you will have to install it on the internal drive. I would imagine that many of those games will be 8 - 25GB each in size and then factor in the DLC.

65.6.2013 23:44

So far the Wii U Virtual Console Games have been 50MB each or less so that is pretty small. Some of the other games can be 500MB+ and the actual Wii U games can be many GB in size so yes 8GB is very low. For some people that may be enough but for most it is not. You can, however, store and play your games and save game data off of the USB hard drive because that is what I am doing now for the most part. I have a 1TB drive connected and using the data management moved most of the games off of the internal memory to the drive and I have no issue launching or playing those games.

It may keep the VC save points on the internal memory but I have not checked that. I have downloaded two full Wii U games that were 5 - 8GB in size each, a few eShop titles that are about 500MB to 1.2GB in size each and many VC games all saved on the USB hard drive.

I understand your point and I know the XB One will come with a 500GB Hard Drive but how fast will that fill up because even if you buy the game on disc you will have to install it on the internal drive. I would imagine that many of those games will be 8 - 25GB each in size and then factor in the DLC.

k thanks because I ask nintendo about it they emailed me back stated that it has to be on the wiiu internal memory.

76.6.2013 00:07

k thanks because I ask nintendo about it they emailed me back stated that it has to be on the wiiu internal memory.
Interesting... Maybe the representative was misinformed. I had all my stuff on the internal memory and got down to under 2GB free so I used the data management in settings to move the games and the associated game save data to the USB hard drive and the games all show up in my menu and I play them just the same. I still have some stuff on the internal memory like a few VC games and apps but not much.

89.6.2013 21:44

I'm not surprised that this has happened.

8GB internal is what my cheapass OUYA will have in it... it's not exactly a high end console. I'm really surprised that they even came out with that 8GB white version.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive