AfterDawn: Tech news

Saints Row IV refused classification in Australia

Written by James Delahunty @ 25 Jun 2013 8:13 User comments (14)

Saints Row IV refused classification in Australia

Saints Row IV has become the first game to be refused classification in Australia, effectively banning the game until develop Volition can change its content.
The Australian Classification Board follows the Guidelines for the Classification of Computer Games in determining a rating for a game. The new guidelines only came into effect in January. Before this point, Australia had no category for games intended for an adult audience only, which lead to many high profile titles running into trouble in the country.

However, it would appear the Classification Board finds Saints Row IV so bad that even adults should be protected from playing it in its current form.

In the Board's opinion, Saints Row IV, includes interactive, visual depictions of implied sexual violence which are not justified by context. In addition, the game includes elements of illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards. Such depictions are prohibited by the computer games guidelines.

Volition has confirmed that it will now have to modify the content in Saints Row IV and resubmit it in order to release the title in the territory.

Previous Next  

14 user comments

125.6.2013 08:21

Quote:
Volition has confirmed that it will now have to modify the content in Saints Row IV and resubmit it in order to release the title in the territory.
And by doing so you continue to support such ridiculousness in the 21st century.

225.6.2013 10:10

We get an R18+ rating and they don't bother using it. Complete nonsense. I'll just import a copy.

325.6.2013 10:29

Originally posted by APropheto:
We get an R18+ rating and they don't bother using it. Complete nonsense. I'll just import a copy.

Just curious, but is that actually legal in AU, even when done privately/for private use?

425.6.2013 13:30

Good luck to them with this thing called the internet.

525.6.2013 14:43

Wow. Maybe they should add a XXX rating. I gotta say the content does sound like some "2 girls 1 cup" type of action. Total garbage in my opinion but I'm all for adults playing it if they want. For sure they are bumping the allure of the game. OOOH banned in Australia!!!

625.6.2013 15:03

And now I want to see this game! Thank you.

725.6.2013 15:17

Originally posted by dEwMe:
Wow. Maybe they should add a XXX rating. I gotta say the content does sound like some "2 girls 1 cup" type of action. Total garbage in my opinion but I'm all for adults playing it if they want. For sure they are bumping the allure of the game. OOOH banned in Australia!!!
Well, Saint's Row 2 (moreso than 3) was a LOT of fun; sort of like GTA, but ridiculously over the top, to the point of cartoonishness. The new game happens entirely in a virtual world (in the plot, that is, of course it's virtual - lol), so there's also another layer of removal from the silly escapades.

825.6.2013 20:38

Originally posted by Bozobub:

Just curious, but is that actually legal in AU, even when done privately/for private use?
No. Importing content that is refused classification, essentially banned, is illegal.

--

For anyone who is interested, the reason for the refused classification was the "Alien anal probe" & "smoking alien narcotics which gives you super powers"
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jun 2013 @ 8:41

925.6.2013 21:01

Banning the video games is not the solution to the problem. We should start by banning the parents that ignore game ratings and buy these mature games for their children. That is more of the problem than the video games themselves.

1026.6.2013 03:07

I'm so embarrassed.

We are becoming a nation of wowsers.

And it will get worst after the next election.

Originally posted by Bozobub:

No. Importing content that is refused classification, essentially banned, is illegal.
But you can still get away with it... I have no idea how that will affect online play from Oz though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Jun 2013 @ 3:09

1126.6.2013 03:48

Originally posted by Jemborg:
I'm so embarrassed.

But you can still get away with it... I have no idea how that will affect online play from Oz though.

You certainly can get away with it. Customs doesn't open every video game package that comes their way. After Mortal Kombat 9 was banned they threatened that they were going to inspect more packages but I know of very few examples of copies being seized.

On another note, State of Decay was also refused classification here in Aus. Sucks to be an adult gamer here right now.

1226.6.2013 04:21

I'm so embarrassed.

You certainly can get away with it. Customs doesn't open every video game package that comes their way. After Mortal Kombat 9 was banned they threatened that they were going to inspect more packages but I know of very few examples of copies being seized.

On another note, State of Decay was also refused classification here in Aus. Sucks to be an adult gamer here right now.

Do you think online play would be affected with a import? They're notorious for putting online into the "too-hard" basket.

1326.6.2013 05:16

Do you think online play would be affected with a import? They're notorious for putting online into the "too-hard" basket.
I honestly couldn't say. I hope online play won't be affected. I am not a huge MP/online gamer, but I wouldn't like to be robbed of the opportunity.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Jun 2013 @ 5:17

1426.6.2013 05:26

I honestly couldn't say. I hope online play won't be affected. I am not a huge MP/online gamer, but I wouldn't like to be robbed of the opportunity.
Ditto.

Generally it's ok regardless of what they do to single player mode.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive